Which type of guppy should I breed??

Endler enthusiast

On 9/30/2021 at 12:54 PM, Patrick_G said:

I’m partial to the Endlers and K class types. 

I am as well.

On 9/30/2021 at 12:54 PM, Patrick_G said:

I’m partial to the Endlers and K class types. 

I’m trying to do a “social experiment” so to speak, in order to to be better prepared when picking the strain I use. So thank you for your opinion it means a lot. 

Personally like the Enders more than Guppies as they don’t harass the females quite as much. I have the Neon Green Endlers but most people don’t like Endlers because the females have no colors. Per the pictures I can tell you I bought mine from that seller. He gave me 4 extra fry day one and both females are starting to give me babies at already 2 months. I got 1 female that made it and currently 6 unsure fry swimming around. I have African Drawf Frogs that may have eaten 1-2 here and there as control. 

Edited by Stacy Z
  • Thanks 1

On 9/30/2021 at 1:31 PM, Vanish said:

First and last. I have a colony of pretty cool endlers and have been unable to sell them locally.

Thank you for your comment, have you considered listing online for local pickup? Or maybe dive into the world of shipping fish?

On 9/30/2021 at 1:42 PM, Stacy Z said:

Personally like the Enders more than Guppies as they don’t harass the females quite as much. I have the Neon Green Endlers but most people don’t like Endlers because the females have no colors. 

Couldn’t you selectively breed guppies to endlers and hence get a slightly colored female with respectful endler-like males?

I have been thinking of the possibility. Dude I wasn’t even trying but I have Neon Tetra Fry and apparently they are hard to breed. I also have 3 baby Barbs as well. I can only tell because their clear like the other with a black stripe. They were so hard to feed at first, had to get vinager eels and mad green water. I have been currently trading at my LFS for java fern for my logs in both my 20/40 gal. 

Edited by Stacy Z
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/30/2021 at 1:54 PM, Stacy Z said:

I have been thinking of the possibility. Dude I wasn’t even trying but I have Neon Tetra Fry and apparently they are hard to breed. I also have 3 baby Barbs as well. I can only tell because their clear like the other with a black stripe. They were so hard to feed at first, had to get vinager eels and mad green water. I have been currently trading at my LFS for java fern for my logs in both my 20/40 gal. 

If you could continue breeding those fish you could make some serious money. Think about it you would be both local and a higher quality than their wholesale merchants.

my first choice, the tail is beautiful and the way the blue fades in

image.jpeg.1a1c4d68836a4f746de6bfe16bcf7141.jpeg

2nd choice would be, I’ve always been a sucker for blue 

I’m not really a guppy guy and have done very little research on them. So maybe this gives a perspective of an impulse buyer.

image.jpeg

Edited by Atitagain
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/30/2021 at 2:33 PM, Atitagain said:

my first choice, the tail is beautiful and the way the blue fades in

image.jpeg.1a1c4d68836a4f746de6bfe16bcf7141.jpeg

2nd choice would be, I’ve always been a sucker for blue 

I’m not really a guppy guy and have done very little research on them. So maybe this gives a perspective of an impulse buyer.

image.jpeg

Thank you so much for your input, it means alot

I am not even remotely close to an expert on guppies since I’ve never deliberately bred them and haven’t even owned one in over 40 years.

That being said, If I was going to breed them, I would pick the color/variety that I personally liked the best.  It will be more likely to motivate you to keep up with the maintenance if you can’t stop yourself from staring at the tank full of “my precious”.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm a big fan of keeping it low-stress. So I'd go with N class or P class endlers, with shorter fins so they don't get messed up easily.

I currently have N class that look sorta like your second picture. However, I really like that blue that's third from the bottom, and the purple of the bottom one. They have the shorter (safer) fins, too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/30/2021 at 3:38 PM, Patrick_G said:

I’ve decided this is my favorite 

09340250-3B98-4032-B81F-8B4B4F5EF013.jpeg

That’s a great choice, thank you for your comment

On 9/30/2021 at 3:22 PM, Odd Duck said:

I am not even remotely close to an expert on guppies since I’ve never deliberately bred them and haven’t even owned one in over 40 years.

That being said, If I was going to breed them, I would pick the color/variety that I personally liked the best.  It will be more likely to motivate you to keep up with the maintenance if you can’t stop yourself from staring at the tank full of “my precious”.

I agree with you, but I love them all, and want to make sure that I will be able to sell stock once I have them. Thank you for your comment

On 9/30/2021 at 3:32 PM, lefty o said:

my own choice are the dragon guppy's, but if limited by what you show, the first one is the winner. the tail is very cool looking.

Thank you for your comment. It makes sense that you like the first one, it is a platinum dragon red guppy. Thank you for your comment.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2021 at 3:34 PM, CalmedByFish said:

I'm a big fan of keeping it low-stress. So I'd go with N class or P class endlers, with shorter fins so they don't get messed up easily.

I currently have N class that look sorta like your second picture. However, I really like that blue that's third from the bottom, and the purple of the bottom one. They have the shorter (safer) fins, too. 

Thank you for this comment, I’ve always been biased towards shorter finned fish, including betas

• Like 2

On 9/30/2021 at 5:01 PM, Mack said:

If you could continue breeding those fish you could make some serious money. Think about it you would be both local and a higher quality than their wholesale merchants.

It depends if your keeping K or N Endlers. I personally don’t like Guppies but a few crow breeds. I love endlers. Person preference and Pure Endlers are hard to come by so I wouldn’t try to change my colorless females at all. They 

• Thanks 1

Personally, I prefer the first photo, however that could change by day or by mood. They’re all really nice looking. However, if I were in your shoes, I’d only purchase and breed what I loved looking at everyday. I have attempted at purchasing and breeding “popular” strains before that I wasn’t crazy about and they never last very long. They usually ended up getting traded for something that I actually liked. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/30/2021 at 5:14 PM, Manny said:

Personally, I prefer the first photo, however that could change by day or by mood. They’re all really nice looking. However, if I were in your shoes, I’d only purchase and breed what I loved looking at everyday. I have attempted at purchasing and breeding “popular” strains before that I wasn’t crazy about and they never last very long. They usually ended up getting traded for something that I actually liked. 

Thank you that’s great insight. I’ve been thinking about it, and I think I’m going to go with either #2, #4, #5 or #9

• Like 1