Which type of guppy should I breed??

Endler enthusiast

I'll play. I prefer the fancy fan-tail male (choice #1). But if I were really going to geek out, and if I had an LFS or active fish club that would pay top dollar for top quality, I'd breed something like these:

341927046_MoscowGreenMale.png.b492929e048114460079513d959f3a41.png

This fish is for sale online auction right now, with a female. But you'll pay minimum $35.00 for them, plus shipping. For high quality Guppies, you're easily looking at $100+ for a starter pack of 6x or so. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/30/2021 at 6:31 PM, Fish Folk said:

I'll play. I prefer the fancy fan-tail male (choice #1). But if I were really going to geek out, and if I had an LFS or active fish club that would pay top dollar for top quality, I'd breed something like these:

341927046_MoscowGreenMale.png.b492929e048114460079513d959f3a41.png

This fish is for sale online auction right now, with a female. But you'll pay minimum $35.00 for them, plus shipping. For high quality Guppies, you're easily looking at $100+ for a starter pack of 6x or so. 

That is a really pretty fish, the fish I was looking at were all above 30-40 per pair. I know that I won’t really be making all that much money on fancy guppies so I know I need to invest in good quality at first

On 9/30/2021 at 9:34 PM, Mack said:

That is a really pretty fish, the fish I was looking at were all above 30-40 per pair. I know that I won’t really be making all that much money on fancy guppies so I know I need to invest in good quality at first

You're absolutely spot on to select a quality Guppy that you personally love. And you need to get a few males and twice as many females if you want to be serious. I bought a few low-end males, and ended up with just this one after others died off, but he's enjoying being the only "stud" in the tank for now with a bunch of females. Eventually, some of his genes will push through. Not a world-class Guppy, but pretty in his own right...

On 9/30/2021 at 6:40 PM, Fish Folk said:

You're absolutely spot on to select a quality Guppy that you personally love. And you need to get a few males and twice as many females if you want to be serious. I bought a few low-end males, and ended up with just this one after others died off, but he's enjoying being the only "stud" in the tank for now with a bunch of females. Eventually, some of his genes will push through. Not a world-class Guppy, but pretty in his own right...

He’s definitely a handsome lil dude. Yes, I’ve heard of the female male ratio, and this is the only downside of looking at buying guppies/endlers through live fins (they only sell fish in pairs)

• Like 1

On 9/30/2021 at 5:13 PM, Stacy Z said:

It depends if your keeping K or N Endlers. I personally don’t like Guppies but a few crow breeds. I love endlers. Person preference and Pure Endlers are hard to come by so I wouldn’t try to change my colorless females at all. They 

That makes sense, I also love pure strains, particularly the orchid types, but the this is I can’t find any for sale

On 9/30/2021 at 1:47 PM, Mack said:

If each guppy cost $10 (absolute highest quality, live food everyday, bred local, etc.) which would you be most likely to buy? I only have enough space for one colony at the moment, and I want to keep the strain as true as I can. 

All photo credit goes to livefins.com 

E25AD5EC-A4B9-454B-88DD-E6133EAAC970.jpeg

150BB5DB-A354-4EF7-AA37-FC763B853EDD.jpeg

741786C1-7345-4410-ABD1-5BCF023D08AA.jpeg

1FBAF0BD-72D5-479A-8054-6AD8FD6BC877.jpeg

68B7965D-C292-4536-A37A-ED7028F9B3F5.jpeg

8D82BEE6-5106-49D9-9E6D-E258EC1257AA.jpeg

9F22F2B6-1D91-445B-92D1-DA32086935A9.jpeg

6F4D16F9-BE9C-4956-8F16-A294B7E90B16.jpeg

586CEF5E-1795-4FA1-AAC0-ED0B5FEBB078.jpeg

Personally, I have fallen in love with endlers.

They rarely have more than a half dozen babies at a time, people will buy the males because the colors are stunning and the forked tail is unique. 

I have noticed that endlers seem to birth 5 to 6 males for every 2 females, so females are worth more, despite how little color they have.

In good lights, and fed a high quality food, even the females develop a slight iridescence to their scales.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2021 at 11:21 PM, Torrey said:

They rarely have more than a half dozen babies at a time, people will buy the males because the colors are stunning and the forked tail is unique. 

I have noticed that endlers seem to birth 5 to 6 males for every 2 females, so females are worth more, despite how little color they have.

In good lights, and fed a high quality food, even the females develop a slight iridescence to their scales.

That’s so true. It’s hard to keep a 2 to 1 ratio of males to females. I was so happy that my 1st set 1 female made it through all the males. She is almost at the age to breed now. Then it’s fun when their ready to Pop and struggling a bit for a day or two swimming. Then they go from fat to skinny. Soon as they lose their babies all the men come running to mate. I notice that my Endler Males do a vibration of their body in a circle around the female in courting. Less chasing then guppies do. They will chase her of she goes elsewhere but they don’t chase harass her. In my tank they like to do their sexy time in my floating log. Also you are right about the iridescence scales. You can see everything perfectly the spine etc. How she fans her tail constantly. 

• Like 1

On 9/30/2021 at 9:48 PM, Stacy Z said:

That’s so true. It’s hard to keep a 2 to 1 ratio of males to females. I was so happy that my 1st set 1 female made it through all the males. She is almost at the age to breed now. Then it’s fun when their ready to Pop and struggling a bit for a day or two swimming. Then they go from fat to skinny. Soon as they lose their babies all the men come running to mate. I notice that my Endler Males do a vibration of their body in a circle around the female in courting. Less chasing then guppies do. They will chase her of she goes elsewhere but they don’t chase harass her. In my tank they like to do their sexy time in my floating log. Also you are right about the iridescence scales. You can see everything perfectly the spine etc. How she fans her tail constantly. 

I love that endler dance!!!!

I am slowly catching almost all the males, and moving them to the danio grow out tank. It's got so many plants in there right now, I can easily overstock and still have 0 nitrates 🙄 so I am packing it for right now. 

The endler males will dance for the danios, as soon as the endler coloring shows up🤦‍♂️

They are so entertaining, swimming all over the tank and schooling with the danios when lights first come on.

• Love 1

On 9/30/2021 at 10:21 PM, Torrey said:

They rarely have more than a half dozen babies at a time

I have noticed that endlers seem to birth 5 to 6 males for every 2 females

I just ran my eyes back over my endler document to make sure:

I've had a drop of 18+, and a drop of 21+. A more common range for me seems to be 9-14 though. 

I'd read that you can change certain water parameters to cause a higher ratio of male or female fry. I changed things to produce more males, and it worked well. So much so that I then changed parameters to try to get more females. Though these more recent drops are still 4-6 weeks old, they do appear to be mostly female! Super cool! (Sorry that I don't actually have numbers to quantify that. My data is "Good grief that's a lot of boys!" And "They're seriously mostly girls? Huh!" 😂

• Thanks 1

On 9/30/2021 at 9:42 PM, CalmedByFish said:

I've had a drop of 18+, and a drop of 21+. A more common range for me seems to be 9-14 though. 

I'd read that you can change certain water parameters to cause a higher ratio of male or female fry. I changed things to produce more males, and it worked well. So much so that I then changed parameters to try to get more females. Though these more recent drops are still 4-6 weeks old, they do appear to be mostly female! Super cool! (Sorry that I don't actually have numbers to quantify that. My data is "Good grief that's a lot of boys!" And "They're seriously mostly girls? Huh!" 😂

What parameters did you buffer? Ive read that with kribs if water ph is slightly higher or lower than 7 than it can greatly effect male female ratio. 

On 9/30/2021 at 10:42 PM, CalmedByFish said:

I think I need to learn your parameters 🤣

In my turtle pond, due to a predator jumping in periodically (but the endlers have learned to dive bomb the turtle and run her away) almost none of the fish develop any color (I originally bought 6 'feeder guppies' and they didn't all get eaten after quarantine).

But, when I thin the herd by removing 90% of the fish, sorting the males with the nicest forks, sorting the obviously pregnant females, and then putting the 'sex indeterminate' group in a grow out tank until I can determine..... I consistently have the 6 to 8 males per 1 to 2 females. 

Turtle pond is 78° to 81°.

My spouse's room stays 68°, hottest summer days bring it up to 72°. Again, there seems to be a ratio of 6 males to a female, and I am about to give up catching the males to remove them. 

Outdoor pond this summer averaged temps from 70° to 85° from April to now. I caught all the fish and broke down the pond this weekend. 

Final count: 84 males, 16 females, 41 sex indeterminate. 🤷‍♂️

@Mack and @Torrey

A copy-paste from my document is below. This is what I did. I can't swear that every individual factor is relevant (other than temperature actually being studied by others, with a 50/50 ratio at 77 degrees). Really, the only factors I notably changed were temp and GH, but it worked. This was done with the same 3 moms and 1 dad (who I called "Randy," of course.)

To Produce a Higher Ratio of Males

Temp 78+ degrees (I used 81.)

Higher pH (I used 7.8 for both genders, since that's what it is out of the tap.)

hard water (GH 12-18) (I think I did 18.)

Males elsewhere. (Females will produce more of the outnumbered gender.)

Note to self: One ACO forum member noticed that male adults may carry different ratios of m/f sperm.

(May help male fry get color younger: warmer water, feed moms a lot of fat, give fry some sun, feed red foods.)

To Produce a Higher Ratio of Females

Temp less than 76 degrees (I did 73-74.)

Lower pH (Still 7.8.)

soft water (I did GH 12.)

Many males in the tank - could be separated in a baby net though. (I couldn't do this, to avoid overstocking.)

Parameters not appropriate for all fishes. Results may vary. Call your doctor if your Randy lasts more than 4 hours. 

Edited by CalmedByFish
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 1:00 AM, CalmedByFish said:

@Mack and @Torrey

A copy-paste from my document is below. This is what I did. I can't swear that every individual factor is relevant (other than temperature actually being studied by others, with a 50/50 ratio at 77 degrees). Really, the only factors I notably changed were temp and GH, but it worked. This was done with the same 3 moms and 1 dad (who I called "Randy," of course.)

To Produce a Higher Ratio of Males

Temp 78+ degrees (I used 81.)

Higher pH (I used 7.8 for both genders, since that's what it is out of the tap.)

hard water (GH 12-18) (I think I did 18.)

Males elsewhere. (Females will produce more of the outnumbered gender.)

Note to self: One ACO forum member noticed that male adults may carry different ratios of m/f sperm.

(May help male fry get color younger: warmer water, feed moms a lot of fat, give fry some sun, feed red foods.)

To Produce a Higher Ratio of Females

Temp less than 76 degrees (I did 73-74.)

Lower pH (Still 7.8.)

soft water (I did GH 12.)

Many males in the tank - could be separated in a baby net though. (I couldn't do this, to avoid overstocking.)

Parameters not appropriate for all fishes. Results may vary. Call your doctor if your Randy lasts more than 4 hours. 

Hopefully leaving males in my spouse's tank will encourage more female births, then, because gH, kH, and pH are about the same as your parameters, but the water temp is 68° and the ladies are still dropping **way more** males than females 🤦‍♂️

At least the males don't harass the females to death like guppies do, and Big Whale will bite the gonopodium of any male who pretends to not understand that "no means no"

My spouse (who has never wanted tanks, but indulges me) finds their antics highly entertaining. The tank has been good therapy after far too many losses this summer. 

On 10/1/2021 at 9:31 PM, Torrey said:

Big Whale will bite the gonopodium of any male who pretends to not understand that "no means no"

My spouse (who has never wanted tanks, but indulges me) finds their antics highly entertaining. The tank has been good therapy after far too many losses this summer. 

I didn't know females would bite *ahem* like that. That's... kind of awesome. 

Yeah, I basically have fish for the affect on my emotions and mind. I hear ya. Sorry your summer's been hard. ❤️ 

On 9/30/2021 at 8:47 PM, Mack said:

If each guppy cost $10 (absolute highest quality, live food everyday, bred local, etc.) which would you be most likely to buy? I only have enough space for one colony at the moment, and I want to keep the strain as true as I can. 

All photo credit goes to livefins.com 

E25AD5EC-A4B9-454B-88DD-E6133EAAC970.jpeg

150BB5DB-A354-4EF7-AA37-FC763B853EDD.jpeg

741786C1-7345-4410-ABD1-5BCF023D08AA.jpeg

1FBAF0BD-72D5-479A-8054-6AD8FD6BC877.jpeg

68B7965D-C292-4536-A37A-ED7028F9B3F5.jpeg

8D82BEE6-5106-49D9-9E6D-E258EC1257AA.jpeg

9F22F2B6-1D91-445B-92D1-DA32086935A9.jpeg

6F4D16F9-BE9C-4956-8F16-A294B7E90B16.jpeg

586CEF5E-1795-4FA1-AAC0-ED0B5FEBB078.jpeg

If I was going to choose one for $10 it would have to be number 9, looks kind of purple and I don't know of any small fish with that colour. Number 4 looks awesome too though. 

• Love 1

On 9/30/2021 at 10:55 PM, PineSong said:

The third from the top or the fifth from the top are the ones I'd be most likely to buy. I love those long forked tails, especially.

Thank you for your input! 🙂

On 10/2/2021 at 3:05 AM, KentFishFanUK said:

If I was going to choose one for $10 it would have to be number 9, looks kind of purple and I don't know of any small fish with that colour. Number 4 looks awesome too though. 

Thank you for your input ! 🙂

On 10/1/2021 at 10:17 PM, CalmedByFish said:

I didn't know females would bite *ahem* like that. That's... kind of awesome. 

Yeah, I basically have fish for the affect on my emotions and mind. I hear ya. Sorry your summer's been hard. ❤️ 

I'm out of daily reacts, and thank you. 

Nerms have been very supportive🧡🐡🧡

• Like 2