Pea puffers eating Repashy??

JoshStover

I was at the LFS yesterday and overheard a gentleman talking about feeding repashy to his pea puffers? Is this really a thing?? If so, which one? I regret not walking over and asking him. I know that he’s been keeping for longer than I’ve been alive and has a 100+ tank fish room in his home. 

• Like 1

@JoshStover Your mission, 008, should you choose to accept it, is to make your way to your local lfs today.  Your contact will be whomever is in charge or whomever may have been there the last time you were there.  This contact should have information about the mysterious pea puffer breeder that has convinced their very particular, carnivorous puffers to eat Repashy.  Your mission must include finding out the details of exactly what type of Repashy these mystery puffers are eating and any preparation details you can determine.  This question is of vital international puffer security, health, safety, and the sanity of pea puffer owners worldwide.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Love 5

On 10/2/2021 at 9:32 AM, Odd Duck said:

@JoshStover Your mission, 008, should you choose to accept it, is to make your way to your local lfs today.  Your contact will be whomever is in charge or whomever may have been there the last time you were there.  This contact should have information about the mysterious pea puffer breeder that has convinced their very particular, carnivorous puffers to eat Repashy.  Your mission must include finding out the details of exactly what type of Repashy these mystery puffers are eating and any preparation details you can determine.  This question is of vital international puffer security, health, safety, and the sanity of pea puffer owners worldwide.

That message will self destruct ....oh heck it already has...🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 10/2/2021 at 10:10 AM, Guppysnail said:

I am following this. I would love a pea puffer but am afraid it will eat ALL my beautiful bladder snails…solution 😁

I just setup a 20gallon High with 5 pea puffers.  There is a few driftwood pieces with plants all over them as well as floating plants and a coconut cave with water sprite attached to it.  I set it up and added about 100 bladder snails to it a day or so before they arrived.  Told them good luck and emulate Turbo if you can!😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I had no idea how tiny they would be when I got them.  They are about 1/4 of an inch.  Heck most of the snails are bigger than they are.  I had to go looking for a bunch of baby bladder snails to put in there for them.   They are rocking out on the BBS though.  It is so funny to watch them snipe the BBS😂😈

• Like 4

On 10/2/2021 at 11:12 AM, eatyourpeas said:

They would have to be quite young to be trained to eat Repashy. I tried feeding mine some and got the “what are you thinking” look. It was definitely a no go. 😑

When I ordered mine...I just assumed that I put the tank together with a butt load of snails and they would be like Suicide Squad and kill everything😈 .... then they came so small... I was worried the snails would slap them around...😱

• Haha 2

On 10/2/2021 at 9:10 AM, Guppysnail said:

I am following this. I would love a pea puffer but am afraid it will eat ALL my beautiful bladder snails…solution 😁

I have bladder snails still in my 20 long with 8 peas.  I don’t see as many in there and I still add some to that tank semi-regularly from other tanks.  The ramshorns seem to have better longevity in there, but they were also better established when the peas were added and they get bigger if they survive the first few weeks to months.

That said, I wouldn’t be putting your lovely gold bladder snails in with puffers.  I only put the common brown or grey ones in puffer tanks.  I had some pink leopard rams pop up in the 29 (no puffers yet) and I pulled both out and put them in one of my ramshorn culture tanks.

On 10/2/2021 at 8:16 AM, ARMYVET said:

When I ordered mine...I just assumed that I put the tank together with a butt load of snails and they would be like Suicide Squad and kill everything😈 .... then they came so small... I was worried the snails would slap them around...😱

Fatten those snails up with Repashy and once they figure out they are food they will love you forever!

I gave one of the pea puffers a mosquito larvae and he was so intrigued, and did all sort of contortionist moves trying to figure out how to eat it. When he finally went for it, upside down, mind you, he had only half of it in its mouth and gave me the “now what?” look, as it was obviously too big. He gave up on me giving a solution and disappeared behind a rock. Came back with a bit of attitude, but would not say no to larvae after that.

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

On 10/2/2021 at 10:12 AM, eatyourpeas said:

They would have to be quite young to be trained to eat Repashy. I tried feeding mine some and got the “what are you thinking” look. It was definitely a no go. 😑

I’ve put Repashy in there, but it was for otos, shrimp, snails.  Not that I saw anybody but snails hit it.  I think otos might have touched it a time or two.

On 10/2/2021 at 10:16 AM, ARMYVET said:

Perhaps they will be small enough to chase the snails into their shells?

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 10:12 AM, eatyourpeas said:

I’ve been trying Golden Pearls fry food, ACO fry food, Hikari First Bites on mine.  I haven’t seen one even consider any of the dry although they are starting to at least show up when I feed vinegar eels or microworms.  They have 4 sponge filters to pick at (a single ACO and 3 fine, double sponges that were moved into there to keep BB’s alive and feed babies as soon as I realized there were fry in there.

I’ve been  feeding the microworms/vinegar eels, then putting some of the fry food in there immediately after to try and associate the dry with the live as “food”.  We’ll see if it works.

• Like 2

On 10/2/2021 at 11:21 AM, Odd Duck said:

I have bladder snails still in my 20 long with 8 peas.  I don’t see as many in there and I still add some to that tank semi-regularly from other tanks.  The ramshorns seem to have better longevity in there, but they were also better established when the peas were added and they get bigger if they survive the first few weeks to months.

That said, I wouldn’t be putting your lovely gold bladder snails in with puffers.  I only put the common brown or grey ones in puffer tanks.  I had some pink leopard rams pop up in the 29 (no puffers yet) and I pulled both out and put them in one of my ramshorn culture tanks.

My golds are off the menu. I do still have browns and occasionally some dark grey with spots though. 

On 10/2/2021 at 10:03 AM, ARMYVET said:

We really gotta find out if there is a fix to that issue.  @Streetwise or @Daniel or @Zenzo....is there a way to remove the reaction limit?  

For a normal forum no one would need more reactions not enough to react to. For the Coop we need unlimited! Way to much AWESOMENESS 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

On 10/2/2021 at 11:34 AM, Guppysnail said:

My golds are off the menu. I do still have browns and occasionally some dark grey with spots though. 

For a normal forum no one would need more reactions not enough to react to. For the Coop we need unlimited! Way to much AWESOMENESS 

Yes I second the unlimited. Out of work with back issues and to keep my mind busy I’m living on the forum and YouTube for more aquarium life research. Not helping my mts at all hahaha 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 12:04 PM, Georgiapeach88 said:

Yes I second the unlimited. Out of work with back issues and to keep my mind busy I’m living on the forum and YouTube for more aquarium life research. Not helping my mts at all hahaha 

When it develops it’s own acronym you know it’s time for more ORD 🤣

• Like 1