Favorite Basic Dry Foods?

Fish Folk

On 9/23/2021 at 12:45 PM, Hobbit said:

Like many others here I’ve been converted to xtreme krill flake! I’d say that’s my go-to food. For my bottom feeders, nothing seems to beat hikari algae wafers. I just wish they came in a smaller size. 

Smaller as in bags or wafers? I'm always after the biggest container I can get of foods that I end up using up quick. If you're looking for smaller(ish) wafers the Xtreme brand ones are a bit smaller in diameter. 

• Like 1

Honestly dry foods were hard for me to get right... 6 months in the hobby I have switched to full frozen and gel foods. love the rapashy line I feed 3 different types once a week and then frozen baby brine shrimp and brine shrimp every day. This has worked for me personally. When I do feed dry, aka when my gf has to take care of the fish, I have her feed a pinch of vibra bites

• Like 1

For me it depends a bit on the fish; as well as other factors. I personally prefer pellets since my aquariums are heavily planted and it works best if the food will quickly drop to the bottom but i have some fishes that strongly prefer flakes (surface eaters and well my picky angels). In terms of brand i've tried a lot - right now omega-one seems to be winning the race; but I do also feed them nls pellets. I've given up on northfin because it has way too much garlic and my fishes will not touch it. fluval bug bites is a favorite for my apisto and other dwarf cichild and i am also pretty happy with spirulina 20 flakes. I've have a couple of rasphery foods and i find them a pain but i still feed it to the fishes now and then. 

Summary:

angels: omega-one flakes

dwarf cichlid (borelli, nannacara, hongsloi, cockatoo, Laetacara araguaiae): fluval bug bites with some northfin mixed in (they hate the northfin but the snails clean it up)

rasbora and guppies: spirulina 20 

tetra: whatever they happen to find

pleco(s): zuc, rasphery (igaloo and soilent green), hirkai algae wafer, nls algae wafer

loaches (yoyo,clown,zebra): hirkai pellets, omega-one cat fish and shrimp pellets

--

I think that covers most of it. Occasionally tetra flakes for the guppies.

• Like 1

Odd question for everyone who uses Bug Bites:

I buy the larger container of spirulina flakes, and the large container of the color enhancer. Use the food saver and seal up in ~2 week supply packets, store the sealed packets in a cool, dry place and store an opened packet in the plastic tube/jar it comes in.

I just bought a new container of the (red flake) color enhancer by Bug Bites, and when I compared the nutritional information I noticed that the new container has less phosphorus than the old container did.

I also feed frozen foods (brine, blood worms), live (black worms, bbs, daphnia, infusoria for fry), and Aqueon betta pellets, as well as the Bug Bites sinking wafers.

Has anyone else bought the color enhancer flakes from Bug Bites in the past 2 months, and then had an increase in algae in their tanks?

I know that it sounds odd, but several people in my local club have complained about noticing a new algae growth, and my first thought was fluctuations in water quality from the water treatment plant, but 2 of the people only use RO water.

The only thing we all have in common is new algae, and just started the new Bug Bites 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

Algae Wafers - I just spent a lot of time researching this because I only just started keeping algae eating fish (borneo spotted & otos).     I about drove myself crazy today trying to find an algae wafer that was mainly vegatarian and not some wafer shaped fish meal conglomeration.   I finally settled on New Life Spectrum Algaemax Wafers, no clue if it is any good but the ingredient list at least didn't start out with heavy protein for a primarily vegetarian fish.  I had been feeding Top Fin algae wafers currently but they have way too much protein in them IMO although the fish did adore them.  

Goldfish - My fave is Omega One Goldfish sinking pellets & Fluval Vegetarian pellets, I mix them and feed 50/50

Fry - Hikari Fancy Guppy, Hikari First Bites

Livebearers - Hikari Fancy Guppy, Fluval Bug Bites Tropical Flakes, Sera Spiralina tabs (primarily buy for the mollies but the guppies and gourami swarm the tabs as well)

Betta - I use floating ZooMed betta pellets because he is almost completely blind.  I make sure to make a clinking noise when I drop the pellets in and drop in the same place and the fact they are bright red makes it easier to find for him.   Before he went blind my fave was Omega One Betta Buffet but that is too hard for him to locate with poor vision especially since they are slow sinking so tend to move around. 

Glofish -   Hikari Fancy Guppy, Fluval Bug Bites Tropical Flakes

Corydoras - I'm still working on finding a good dry food for them.  The Tetra Cory Wafers our LFS recommended completely blows my cories won't eat it and the ingredients aren't the greatest anyway.   My cories primarily survive off frozen foods, Repashy Community Plus and leftover fish food from the other fish in the tank.   

Also feed a lot of Repashy (my faves so far are Super Gold and Soilent Green) as well as frozen food.  Also I primarily feed the Repashy Community Plus to my cories but I was pleasantly suprised to find that my older fry nibble at it as well.   

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 1:43 AM, Kathy F said:

Corydoras - I'm still working on finding a good dry food for them.

Mine love and I do mean love the BugBites for bottom feeders and Bugbites Algae Crisps.  

I will say that after researching heavily the bugbite line...I am really liking their foods and currently feed 5 different variety's of their food and everybody eats it from livebearers to corys to plecos, killis and flag fish...all love the stuff!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

tetramin tropical crisps has been my go to for probably 15 years. have yet to find a fish that wont eat it. having said that, ill be honest and say i have a boatload of others and change them up daily, but the tetra crisps are always the first feeding of the day.

• Like 1