Favorite Basic Dry Foods?

Fish Folk

Stopped by {Big Box Pet Store} today coming home from work. I needed more dry fish food.

Thought I’d ask everyone: what’s your go-to dry fish food? Either Flakes or Pellets.

Heres what I bought:

134770A3-EEAE-4F70-97C5-050DBA41515C.jpeg.41bb7e232d060dc7fe3c89d2b5d140bc.jpeg

Omega One Freshwater Flakes, Omega One Veggie Pellets, and two Bug Bites Flakes — “color-enhancing,” and “spirulina.”

What about you??

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1

I use Easy Fry/Sera Micron for my babies, we use Hikari Fancy Guppy, Hikari Micro Pellets, Hikari Crab Cuisine, and Hikari Shrimp Cuisine for various critters. 
My next purchase of standard dry food will be some krill flakes and spirulina flakes. 

On 9/22/2021 at 8:40 PM, Struggle said:

I like to use easy fry, xtreme krill flake, xtreme spirulina and xtreme nano pellets.

Do you like the xtreme krill and spirulina? I had been planning on Zoo Med spirulina. 

Edited by GameCzar
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2021 at 8:44 PM, GameCzar said:Do you like the xtreme krill and spirulina? I had been planning on Zoo Med spirulina. 

My fish and shrimp seem to like it quite a bit, especially the bristlenose. I feed Rainbowfish, Killifish, Corys, Tetras,  Angels, Cichlids, Neos, Caridina, snails, etc. etc. and they all eat it.

• Thanks 1

Xtreme Krill, Fluval Bug Bites Spirulina Flakes, and Omega One flakes are in my regular rotation. I have trouble with pellet foods sometimes, I feel like my thicklip is more prone to some constipation bloat after pellets -- but I'm not sure if it's because of the pellet itself, or if it's because she's eating too many of them and not sharing the wealth.

Edited by laritheloud
  • Like 2

Oh this is a long list.

Babies: 

• Sera Micron
  • Sera Rearing

Small Fish:

• New Life Spectrum Thera +A (micro pellets)
  • Omega One Color Flake

Large Fish:

• New Life Spectrum Thera +A (medium/large pellets)
  • Hikari Massivore

Sinking Wafers:

• Hikari Algae Wafers
  • Xtreme Sinking Wafers (just started trying these out... for the price I might swap to these from Hikari, but still trying them out to be sure)

Shrimp:

• Dennerle Shrimpking
    • Complete
    • Color
    • Mineral
    • Protein
    • Snowpops
    • Yummy Gummy

I used to use freeze dried foods decades ago, but between the nutritional reports I was reading, plus occasional issues with bloat I moved away from them. Also, had a few issues with fishes swim bladders and never knew why until I learned it was related to freeze dried tubifex. Since I stopped using it I've never had swim bladder issues since.

Based on some of Cory's video's I figured I'd give Xtreme a try when I ran out of something I was feeding. So far I'm a fan of the wafers, bottom feeder and even shrimp are chowing down on them. Per learning the drama behind New Life Spectrum (NLS), I had to laugh because any rep I dealt with years ago wasn't as rude as Cory's experience, but damn were they pushy and had the mentality of "the world revolves around us" when it comes to their product line. Due to that and learning the history between the two companies I figure if anyone was competing with NLS on quality of pellets, Xtreme was the company to try out. Once I start to get low on the bucket and containers of NLS pellets I have I'm sure I'll give the Xtreme Nano Pellets a go. If I can get the same, if not better, quality food and save a bit going with Xtreme I will. I don't feed a lot of flake these days, but once my Omega One stuff runs out, I might try a small container of the Flake to see if it's worth converting to their line up.

• Love 1

On 9/22/2021 at 6:32 PM, Patrick_G said:

I’m not embarrassed to say it’s Tetra Color. 😀 With the exception of my Sparkling Gourami, all  my fish eat seem to love it. 

SAME! Or just some top fin tropical flakes, everybody gets the basics. 

• Like 2

Really like Xtreme; krill flakes every flake eater loves it, pellets big fella mid size and micro, algae wafers, and shrimpee. Outside of  those I’m a fan of  Hikari Vibra Bites all seem to go crazy over them. And Hikari Crab Cuisine.

One of the main reasons I like Xtreme so much is everything is in containers, I can’t stand bagged food for some reason. The vibra bites and crab cuisine I dump into old containers. But I’m reluctant to try anything new from hikari because I know it will be in a bag. I mainly order all my food from ACO but if at LFS and just looking at foods I’ll always gravitate towards containers and not even look at bagged foods. 

• Like 3

Flake- I use omega one, tera pro, zoomed spirulina, fluval bug flakes I mix all together and seal bulk in food saver and remove enough for a few week at a time to a mall Rubbermaid container.

I use hikari breed specific for most my Cory adore the Cory wafers.

I just got these by suggestion here and my CPD went nuts for them. First correctly size pellet I ever found for them 😁 my guppies loved the guppy version too.6C4A1EA5-2CAA-45D3-962E-1C984E5038E2.png.0adedc22e71d2a431f37fbd83c6dd46c.pngD650E6D5-9E48-45F7-AE49-34AC132B92CA.png.c0fa69bc5118fb12a8ffe1ba47419d3d.png

• Like 1