Reliable Longterm Heaters

Tihshho

On 9/4/2021 at 12:05 AM, GardenStateGoldfish said:

I know my comment is not helpful, but I have had two heaters fail and when they did it was a disaster both times, I dislike heaters so much I only keep cold water fish. 

On 9/4/2021 at 12:30 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I do not envy those of us who chose/need to run heaters. When I first started looking into keeping fish I was glad to see in my set up and chosen fish they wouldn't be required. (my tanks run from 76-80 without assistance mostly in between those) They're ugly and as you see here, unreliable. The only think I would personally do if I did have to run a heater is run 2. It seems you need to in order to have one be the failsafe, setting it just a little lower than the other. 

Not running heaters limits your choices in this hobby. For some that's ok because they found what they enjoy and that works for them, in my case I like to dabble in the tropicals so I'm kinda hosed unless I lived in the right climate to keep the tanks outside 24/7 to match required parameters.

As for dual heaters it's a thing. I run duals in both of my reefs for that very reason. Heaters are also ugly only if you see them, there's plenty of ways to hide them; either an inline heater on a canister or in a filter chamber on a false wall aquarium or a sump. 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 9:52 PM, Tihshho said:

The problem I have with controllers are that a lot of the consumer grade ones you cannot calibrat

Inkbirds…I temp gun my tank then push a button on inkbird it allows you to just set the actual temp to calibrate so it matches the temp gun reading. Very easy. 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 10:34 PM, Tihshho said:

One option I've been toying with was using controllers and leveraging the heat mats used in the reptile world. Slap one on the bottom of the tank and heat the base so that the heat radiates up from the base of the tank. The issue then lies in the reliability of the controller as those heat pads can get out of hand otherwise.

In the reptile hobby, it generally recommended to shy away from under tank heaters if you are using substrate, as you need a lot of heat to get through the substrate. General recommendations I've seen is to place them on the side of terrariums with substrate. Same issues in that hobby though. Generally quite a bit of concern with the various heating elements. I was listening to an interview yesterday, and a prolific breeder recommended replacing heat tape / pads every 3 to 5 years due to concerns with failure. You will also lose quite a bit of heat externally and will likely need to use quite a bit more energy than with a submersible heater. A number of commercial heating elements are round, think hot water heaters. This may be the basis for the design of aquarium heaters as well. I doubt there are multiple elements in the heaters. We seem to just make them longer as we add wattage to them. 

On 9/4/2021 at 6:51 AM, ChemBob said:

In the reptile hobby, it generally recommended to shy away from under tank heaters if you are using substrate, as you need a lot of heat to get through the substrate. General recommendations I've seen is to place them on the side of terrariums with substrate. Same issues in that hobby though. Generally quite a bit of concern with the various heating elements. I was listening to an interview yesterday, and a prolific breeder recommended replacing heat tape / pads every 3 to 5 years due to concerns with failure. You will also lose quite a bit of heat externally and will likely need to use quite a bit more energy than with a submersible heater. A number of commercial heating elements are round, think hot water heaters. This may be the basis for the design of aquarium heaters as well. I doubt there are multiple elements in the heaters. We seem to just make them longer as we add wattage to them. 

I use these heat mats on the sides of frog and bearded dragon tanks. I started with one under it overheated. Unfortunately they are even less reliable than in tank aquarium heaters. 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 9:36 PM, Tihshho said:

I love the quantifiable testing that BRS does, but sadly there are a handful of heaters from that video that I've used in my reef tanks and have had them fail.

On 9/3/2021 at 10:58 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

Are eheim jager and hygger titanium heaters still the bee's knees? I've been out of the hobby too long 😋

I had a Hygger heater that started tripping my GFCI. Glad it was in that type of outlet!  But then I was in a quandary as to what to go with.  I like the Ti heaters, and I already has a controller (it was the actual heater that sprung a leak into the element).  I was weighing the house brands for Jehmco and BRS, but went with the BRS because they are located so close to me that they can get things to my house faster then Amazon can.  It's been solid.  On this N of 1, I was going to suggest them...  I'm sad to hear that they also have failed you, @Tihshho.  I'm going to need a new heater or two over the winter.  Now I'm not sure what do use... 

On 9/4/2021 at 1:31 AM, Tihshho said:

Not running heaters limits your choices in this hobby. For some that's ok because they found what they enjoy and that works for them, in my case I like to dabble in the tropicals so I'm kinda hosed unless I lived in the right climate to keep the tanks outside 24/7 to match required parameters.

As for dual heaters it's a thing. I run duals in both of my reefs for that very reason. Heaters are also ugly only if you see them, there's plenty of ways to hide them; either an inline heater on a canister or in a filter chamber on a false wall aquarium or a sump. 

I live in south Florida.  We got hot an humid here.   Satan himself doesn't stay for long because its too hot here for him.   I have the exact opposite problem.  Keeping the water cool.  I do not own a single heater and my tanks range in temp from 77-80 deg.  I have 20 tanks in the room right now and I use a few inkbird temp probes...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TSRCMRV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They connects to an inkbird IBS-M1 wifi portal and I can monitor temps in the room, the water temps and the humidity in the room no matter where I am. 

I have to air condition my fish room to keep those temps and deal with humidity which usually sits between 47-57 % in the room while the outside humidity is 70% or higher most days.

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 4:45 AM, Guppysnail said:

Inkbirds…I temp gun my tank then push a button on inkbird it allows you to just set the actual temp to calibrate so it matches the temp gun reading. Very easy. 

I guess I have to check those out, I'm used to my Finnex ones that I've not been a fan of.

On 9/4/2021 at 12:51 PM, Tihshho said:

I guess I have to check those out, I'm used to my Finnex ones that I've not been a fan of.

I use the cheap non WiFi ones. You can plug two heaters in but it only has 1 probe. Make sure you get the rubber probe ones. I use dual heaters so it’s ideal for me. Edit I bought a finnex awhile ago…sent it back unused I wasn’t impressed

Edited by Guppysnail
  • Like 1

When it come to "Long Term Heaters"  I actually went thru quite a few of them trying them...all failed in one way or another. Some more horribly than others and had to be replaced.  Finally I came to the one that has lasted the longest and is still going strong and I foresee it being the last one I will ever need. It acts up once in a while and goes cold on me but I fully attribute it my inability to use it properly but overall it really has been problem free. 

I ended up marrying it.  Absolutely the most reliable heater I have ever had/ will have.  Sleep toasty every night!

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

On 9/4/2021 at 1:04 PM, ARMYVET said:

When it come to "Long Term Heaters"  I actually went thru quite a few of them trying them...all failed in one way or another. Some more horribly than others and had to be replaced.  Finally I came to the one that has lasted the longest and is still going strong and I foresee it being the last one I will ever need. It acts up once in a while and goes cold on me but I fully attribute it my inability to use it properly but overall it really has been problem free. 

I ended up marrying it.  Absolutely the most reliable heater I have ever had/ will have.  Sleep toasty every night!

Oh, I'm pretty sure it's a lose lose for me using one of those 'heaters'. Mine is more of a chiller based on them reporting back they are constantly cold. Pretty sure if that is locked in the fishroom the fish would freeze and then I would have a very angry chiller waiting to get me once I get back in there.

• Haha 2

Heaters, I've seen this come up a few times in various places. And based on what I've read and others on video outlets, it appears quality is a rare commodity.
The recommendation suggested are to buy the cheapest brands, since the expensive heaters fail along the same time as a cheap heater and did not appear to be any better.
I’ve only been in the hobby for a little over 6 months, so I cannot recommend a brand. However, when I was in the market for a good heater, I looked for long warranty.

Good luck on your endeavors and I would be interested in what you eventually choose to do.

Edited by Hoi Polloi

On 9/4/2021 at 7:23 PM, Hoi Polloi said:

Heaters, I've seen this come up a few times in various places. And based on what I've read and others on video outlets, it appears quality is a rare commodity.
The recommendation suggested are to buy the cheapest brands, since the expensive heaters fail along the same time as a cheap heater and did not appear to be any better.
I’ve only been in the hobby for a little over 6 months, so I cannot recommend a brand. However, when I was in the market for a good heater, I looked for long warranty.

Good luck on your endeavors and I would be interested in what you eventually choose to do.

So when it comes to cheap heaters and warranties, you need to not only find cheap but a company that's been around for a while. Buying an eBay no name model that claims to have a 5 year warranty is only good if the company is around after the heater fails. I'm considering just sticking to AquaTops and labeling the plug with the dates that they were installed. From there I should be able to track the longevity and if it's been 3 year or close and temps are cool, I'll just pull them and replace them. Just hate to have to keep a lot of spare equipment on hand, it's one thing to have 2-3 spare heaters, but if you start everything over the same time I'm banking on failures to be around the same time based on what I'm experieincing. That said, vendors can change product lines or whom they source for manufacturing, so things might last longer, or much less of time...

• Like 1

I’ve been buying these and am thinking of replacing all my heaters with them. Digital, not glass (titanium), external control, and black which I like. I have 3 of them oldest is about 8 months old so can’t speak on longevity yet. Any thoughts or experience with this brand?F23EAFEB-1467-4F5F-85A5-02800F92D354.jpeg.66dcbc8f74bdd0e6f1cfa187f958aade.jpeg

8B5F3AE5-ED90-4DA0-89EC-4F59CFE661F5.png.abb33eb88b8e7106c22f087fe9a21ef7.png

sorry just pic still can’t figure out how to link from Amazon .

IMO these are amazing for all the reasons I gave above. lil on the pricey side but the features make it well worth it so far.

On 9/5/2021 at 7:36 AM, Atitagain said:

I’ve been buying these and am thinking of replacing all my heaters with them. Digital, not glass (titanium), external control, and black which I like. I have 3 of them oldest is about 8 months old so can’t speak on longevity yet. Any thoughts or experience with this brand?F23EAFEB-1467-4F5F-85A5-02800F92D354.jpeg.66dcbc8f74bdd0e6f1cfa187f958aade.jpeg

8B5F3AE5-ED90-4DA0-89EC-4F59CFE661F5.png.abb33eb88b8e7106c22f087fe9a21ef7.png

sorry just pic still can’t figure out how to link from Amazon .

IMO these are amazing for all the reasons I gave above. lil on the pricey side but the features make it well worth it so far.

I have things like thermostats temp guns and digital ph meters from vivosun that I really like. Not glass and the digital display I’m definitely going to try one of these. The Aqueon pro metal ones I have been upgrading to are twice as expensive so this is a deal. Thanks for sharing this!

• Like 1

On 9/4/2021 at 4:50 PM, Tihshho said:

Oh, I'm pretty sure it's a lose lose for me using one of those 'heaters'. Mine is more of a chiller based on them reporting back they are constantly cold. Pretty sure if that is locked in the fishroom the fish would freeze and then I would have a very angry chiller waiting to get me once I get back in there.

Thats just wrong!🤣

On 9/5/2021 at 8:12 AM, Guppysnail said:

I have things like thermostats temp guns and digital ph meters from vivosun that I really like. Not glass and the digital display I’m definitely going to try one of these. The Aqueon pro metal ones I have been upgrading to are twice as expensive so this is a deal. Thanks for sharing this!

So I'm going to put my tinfoil hat on here. As much as I love tech, and how handy it would be to have a heater display the tank temp I'm torn about having a heater with a constant light being on. Some species I've worked on breeding historically are light sensitive and when lights are off they get down time, and when lights go on mops are getting filled or eggs are being scattered. What I'd hate is to miss out on pulling eggs in time due to a little red light being on or messing up the fishes cycle. Again tinfoil hat, as for the little status light on most heaters, they are on/off pretty quick as long as the heater is sized right and there is adequate flow around the heating element. 

• Like 2

On 9/5/2021 at 12:46 PM, Tihshho said:

So I'm going to put my tinfoil hat on here. As much as I love tech, and how handy it would be to have a heater display the tank temp I'm torn about having a heater with a constant light being on. Some species I've worked on breeding historically are light sensitive and when lights are off they get down time, and when lights go on mops are getting filled or eggs are being scattered. What I'd hate is to miss out on pulling eggs in time due to a little red light being on or messing up the fishes cycle. Again tinfoil hat, as for the little status light on most heaters, they are on/off pretty quick as long as the heater is sized right and there is adequate flow around the heating element. 

Fish birth control….wonder if it would work on guppies, CPD and pleco?  May just join you in sporting a tinfoil hat😁

On 9/5/2021 at 12:46 PM, Tihshho said:

Just when I think I’ve got something that makes my life easier. Aquariums are hard! I guess this would be true to light sensitive eggs especially Uggg I think I’ll just have to block as much as possible for now.

On 9/5/2021 at 1:56 PM, Atitagain said:

Just when I think I’ve got something that makes my life easier. Aquariums are hard! I guess this would be true to light sensitive eggs especially Uggg I think I’ll just have to block as much as possible for now.

I'm not sure you need to worry just yet with anything you're working on. Plus, it's just my tinfoil hat speculation at this point.

• Thanks 1

On 9/5/2021 at 1:56 PM, Atitagain said:

Try sticking a prefilter sponge over the plug end where the light is. You can’t see the display but neither can they

• Like 2

On 9/5/2021 at 1:58 PM, Guppysnail said:

Try sticking a prefilter sponge over the plug end where the light is. You can’t see the display but neither can they

Though it's not where the heating element is, that's more than likely where the temp probe is. Putting anything over it means reduced flow and reduced flow means inaccurate temp readings. Sadly, I think this solution might provide more harm than good.

On 9/6/2021 at 10:29 AM, JettsPapa said:

I haven't read all the replies, but I've noticed that quite often fish stores use Eheim Jagers.  I figured they should know which ones work best and hold up.

The eheim is what I'm leaning towards. I already have a Inkbird controller so all I need is a good heater. I've been looking at their newer models without the calibration gizmo.

Right now my tank stays where I was it, but I believe come winter it may need some help.