is there any carpeting plant that doesnt need co2

RockoB

I’m currently having luck with Dwarf Sag and Microsword. The Microsword is probably closer to what we think of a carpet. I planted it in little clumps that are currently a bit ratty, but it’s sending out runners and the new growth is looking good. 
I’ve seen some low tech tanks on YouTube that have nice Pearlweed carpets. It always looks good but seems more like a hedge than a grass effect. I’ve killed some that was in a shady spot  so I think it  needs at least medium light

• Like 1

I've been told MICRANTHEMUM 'MONTE CARLO' is such a plant.  I bought a few samples and am currently growing it in a paludarium with a hygger 24/7 light.  The culture is cut and mixed to fully water to fully air and some right at the shoreline.  One week in... everything looks as green as it started but nothing is growing out yet.

Edited by Zachary Cook
  • Like 1

@Zachary Cook I have seen mixed reivews about that plant. Most saying "it needs co2 to carpets" but some say it doesn't. In my experiance it does need co2 to carpet.

I had monte carlo in one of my tanks for a couple months and no carpeting. However it was very green, and it did even pearl. All though it was happy and healthy it never carpeted. 

Look into Hygrophila Serphyllum, I did some research and some claim it carpets without CO2. I tried to find it with very little luck. I found 1 place and ordered it, but the website was very sketchy. Fingers crossed. If I do get it, I will toss it into a low tech tank and report back. Fingers crossed.

I don't run CO2 in any of my tanks.

Carpeting still happens, it just takes a lot longer if you don't use the siesta method. If you work with the fish and plants, it will carpet faster.

Dr Diana Walstad found that plants use all the CO2 in the first 4 to 5 hours lights are on.

Therefore, she recommends to use this knowledge by turning on lights for 4 to 5 hours, turning them off for 3 to 4 hours, and then back on for 4 to 5 hours.

It seems to be working. The dwarf hairgrass is already putting out runners!

On 9/8/2021 at 5:13 PM, Mmiller2001 said:

100% yes.

Smarty pants!  😆 

On 9/8/2021 at 3:58 PM, Mrs.Grissom said:

soo, most of the tanks require C02?

Plants ALL need CO2, that’s all this smart Alec is saying.  Whether they need supplemental CO2 is what’s up for debate.

Mostly it’s about the look you’re going for and how patient you can be.  There are many, many plants that will carpet given enough time, or starting with enough plants. How densely they carpet, and how good they look while doing it, is certainly enhanced by CO2. But as others have said, even slow growing mosses will carpet if you are willing to give them enough time.

Only you can decide what look you want, how many plants you’re willing to buy, and if your preferred plant will carpet densely enough to fulfill your vision without CO2.