Unacceptable!!!

Fish Folk

Ancistrus just need a mate and water... I had some QTing years ago in a bare tank with just some plants, and within a week of being in QT they spawned in the corner of the tank (no hide) and the male was fanning the eggs. I swear these guys only have two things on their mind; eat and breed.

• Haha 3

On 9/2/2021 at 9:34 PM, CalmedByFish said:

Hilarious, but really asking: Can the dude and dudette live in different tanks?

I was still trying to figure out their sex when mine laid. I was reasonably sure but my boy had only a tiny tiny mustache they are very young. Dad came out from first hatch with whiskers. They were destined for different tanks but now they don’t leave one another’s side and I don’t have the heart to split them up. 

• Sad 1

On 9/2/2021 at 9:46 PM, CalmedByFish said:

Your admirably good heart is gonna paaaaay. 😂 

Perhaps you can soon let each parent live with some of the babies, so they at least won't be alone.

I already set up a grow out tank and have the lfs purchasing the babies when they are a old enough as well as a few others I just didn’t expect this many this darn quick.  I’m gonna be steaming veggies by the barrel. 🤣

• Haha 2

On 9/3/2021 at 9:54 AM, gardenman said:

It's amazing how expensive they are to buy in pet shops though. They should be pretty much giving them away as easy as the fish are to spawn. Locally they're typically $30-$40 or more each. Guppies are harder to spawn than bristlenose cats.

That might just be a specific color strain or just the shops in your region. I see them at Mom & Pop shops locally bred for around $10 for sub adults and around $20 for an adult.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 12:19 PM, Tihshho said:

That might just be a specific color strain or just the shops in your region. I see them at Mom & Pop shops locally bred for around $10 for sub adults and around $20 for an adult.

I sell to my LFS for wholesale prices. I get $5 for adults, $2-3 for subadults. I presume he double price for retail.

Still, at the 150 fry I’ve got going right now …. I’m at $300 for lowest price point already. 

• Like 3

On 8/31/2021 at 5:38 PM, Tihshho said:

Ancistrus just need a mate and water... I had some QTing years ago in a bare tank with just some plants, and within a week of being in QT they spawned in the corner of the tank (no hide) and the male was fanning the eggs. I swear these guys only have two things on their mind; eat and breed.

I'm starting to think the water is optional based on this thread

• Haha 4