Hello, I'm Maxwell! ;~)

Wellxam

Hello everyone, my name is Maxwell...

(in unison)*Hi Maxwell*

And I've come to Aquarists Anonymous to... wait a second... is that not what this is? Well, this was my final attempt to stay dry, so I guess I'll just double down on my addiction instead!

So I started in this hobby probably 3-4 years ago. I got a betta tank, got addicted, got a 20L with shrimp and guppies, and eventually added another guppy to that tank! after that, I got a new job, where I could learn a lot, and grow exponentially in my skill-set, and for 6 months commuted 3+ hours a day, until I could move to be closer to work, moved, brought the tanks along, and continued on my merry way.

Work started becoming no fun whatsoever (I know this is the typical case, but I am a dog trainer, so prior to this I almost always enjoyed my work.) long hours, crappy pay, no life whatsoever outside of work. My tanks were becoming very neglected about a year into my employment, so I re-homed what survived, and kept my little 10 gallon with shrimp, that pretty much kept themselves alive for the year to follow.

I then learned that I truly meant nothing to the people I worked for, so I called my previous employer who was ecstatic to hear that I wanted to come back, and moved back in with dad, to help soften the blow, and get me financially more fit to live on my own again. With some free time on my hands again, I took to random youtube rabbit holes, and somewhere stumbled upon old Aquarium Co-Op and other aquarium videos that reminded me of the love I once had for this hobby. priority #1 was to clean up the shrimp tank and put some TLC into it. (OMGHairAlgae) The photo posted is the first photo I took to show my friend how bad it was, and this was after quite a bit of cleaning, a water change, etc... It is funny to think however that this is the third aquarium I ever created, and has *ehem* "technically" been running continuously since I first filled it up, its moved a few times, but it is the aquarium with the most character for sure, and I would say it is exotically "seasoned!"

(Rehabbing10G) This has come a far way, and is definitely a much more happy home for the shrimp, and their new betta friend "Jack!" while this may have been a guilt-motivated project, it pulled out everything in me that used to enjoy this hobby, and life in general!

That basically leads me to where I am today, luckily I kept all of my old tanks, equipment, decorations etc... in storage, and was happy to find out they still held water, with no leaks! so I have set up a 55gal (approximately, I had to measure and do maths, as this particular tank I picked up on the side of the road, and it was something over 50 gallons assuming I did it right.) which I plan to house cardinal tetra's and Angels, perhaps some corydoras as well. at the moment, it houses some zebra danios, and cardinal tetras, as well as 2 bristlenose plecos (super young lemon blue eyes, my FAVORITE!!! ;~).

Basically the long and short of it is addiction is hard to beat, and MAAAAAAAAAN did the bug bite me again!

P.S. Cory, do you think my husky/boxer, beagle/boxer, and 3 German shepherds could live in a 75Gallon tank together peacefully, assuming I have an Aquarium Co Op large sponge filter installed ;~? ;~P

P.P.S. I live in the south suburbs of Chicago, if there are any fish nerds &/or clubs nearby ;~)

OMGHairAlgae.jpg

Rehabbing10G.jpg

• Love 1

Hi Maxwell!  Welcome!

Don’t be insulted, but my bird is named Maxwell and I’m guessing he might be older than you!  I’ve had him since 1983, and he was likely between 7-14 years when I got him.  I also have a dog named Max, so that’s not confusing.  Both were named before I got them, but I like the name enough to have kept it for each of them.  😆 

Edited by Odd Duck
Fix typo.
  • Haha 1

On 8/23/2021 at 6:31 PM, Odd Duck said:

Hi Maxwell!  Welcome!

Don’t be insulted, but my bird is named Maxwell and I’m guessing he might be older than you!  I’ve had him since 1983 Abd he was likely between 7-14 years when I got him.  I also have a dog named Max, so that’s not confusing.  Both were named before I got them, but I like the name enough to have kept it for each of them.  😆 

I'm flattered x~D you have a good taste in names, what kind of bird ;~?

I met a giant parrot-like bird once(forgot the species name that the owner gave me), the owner gave me one of his feathers, after telling me that she had to make will arrangements for him, as he would easily outlive her!

On 8/23/2021 at 6:50 PM, Wellxam said:

I'm flattered x~D you have a good taste in names, what kind of bird ;~?

I met a giant parrot-like bird once(forgot the species name that the owner gave me), the owner gave me one of his feathers, after telling me that she had to make will arrangements for him, as he would easily outlive her!

Have we met?  I’ve done that before and he is in my will!  He’s a severe AKA chestnut fronted macaw.  He’s getting to be an old man, now.

And he’s now slightly annoyed with me since I just took a current picture of him.  😆 

62F223DC-E2B6-4D58-B77F-3162A9BACFEC.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 3

On 8/23/2021 at 7:04 PM, Odd Duck said:

Have we met?  I’ve done that before and he is in my will!  He’s a severe AKA chestnut fronted macaw.  He’s getting to be an old man, now.

And he’s now slightly annoyed with me since I just took a current picture of him.  😆

If you remember giving a feather in a parking lot of a pet store in Peotone, Il, then perhaps ;~)

On 8/23/2021 at 6:22 PM, Atitagain said:

Hello maxwell, welcome to the forum 

Thank you very much, that is quite the fish room setup you have there, that looks like my goal, when I get back into my own place again, did you build those shelves yourself?

On 8/23/2021 at 7:45 PM, Wellxam said:

If you remember giving a feather in a parking lot of a pet store in Peotone, Il, then perhaps ;~)

😆 Nope, not in a parking lot!  And I’ve never heard of Peotone, Il.  🤣 I’ve handed over a lot of his feathers over the years, though.  I usually save his long feathers because I’m always running across people that like them.

On 8/23/2021 at 5:14 PM, Wellxam said:

I live in the south suburbs of Chicago, if there are any fish nerds &/or clubs nearby ;~)

I'll message you a link to the best Chicago Facebook group I've found. But heads-up that I haven't found a forum or group where the people are as well-behaved as here. 

Also, WOW that algae! 🤣

Welcome! 

On 8/24/2021 at 12:30 AM, CalmedByFish said:

I'll message you a link to the best Chicago Facebook group I've found. But heads-up that I haven't found a forum or group where the people are as well-behaved as here. 

Also, WOW that algae! 🤣

Welcome! 

Thank you very much ;~) and yes, my favorite was the little “cloud” that stayed suspended above the sponge filter for quite awhile! 

• Haha 1