what state do you live in?

On 2/1/2022 at 5:33 PM, MyFish said:

Anyone from Michigan here? Looking for an aquarium club in Michigan that’s close to me.

Where in Michigan are you? I'm in Ohio just south of Toledo, we have a nice club down here, have several members from Dundee and Monroe areas. There are several clubs in Detroit area, as well as a really good one based out of Grand Rapids, the Grand Valley Aquarium Club. there is also one somewhere in the SW area of the state, can't remember the name of the club. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/16/2022 at 11:05 AM, MyFish said:

I’m in Troy, 20 mins north of Detroit. I’m looking for around club SE Michigan.  Thanks for the answers though; if you hear anything for the Detroit area let me know please 🙂

The clubs that are in Detroit area are Motor City Aquarium Society and Michigan Cichlid Association. The motor city club just had a big auction last weekend, I wanted to go up to it, but couldn't because of work commitments, but I heard they had a good turnout of fish to sell and buyers. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

Central Florida. Too close to Orlando and The Villages and I work in a profession where I get to meet Florida Man and Florida Woman on a too frequent basis. By "too close" I mean that this was a very nice, small town, area of FL about 20 years ago. The more crowded it gets the less Florida it becomes. 🙁

Nj

I have a 15 gallon fish tank with about seven plants not doing the greatest with the plants I just started adding liquid food for the plants. My water is green yet I don’t have a lot of algae at all on the side of the tank on the rocks or any hairy algae on the plants. My pH was 6.2 so I added a little pH increase one time. My nitrates and nitrates are at zero. How much longer before the tank should get back to normal?

On 1/21/2022 at 10:09 AM, dmurray407 said:

Santa Rosa, though my dad worked for the State and we moved all over the place from San Jose up to Eureka after I was in high school (I graduated from Sunnyvale High School-a really long time ago). My family has lived in CA since before the gold rush. 

Donner descendant on my Mom's side, and the first member of my Dad's family immigrated from County Cork Ireland in the 1870s to Canada and settled in NorCal. They actually did Eastward expansion in both cases and my parents met in Virginia. But I love Norcal even though I have ended up in the SE. I can still remember the taste of the chocolate mandarin orange ice cream from Marianne's in Santa Cruz...

On 3/7/2022 at 10:28 AM, Jawjagrrl said:

settled in NorCal

Where in Northern Ca? My great great grandmother was also from Ireland (County Cork, I was told). She and her husband settled in Bodega (Sonoma County) in around 1860. He was a McCready-his family was originally from Ireland and lived in New York for a few generations prior to his trip "around the horn" to get to CA. I have never figured out where in Ireland the McCreadys originally came from. Family history is so interesting, but equally frustrating 🙂

On 3/7/2022 at 3:36 PM, dmurray407 said:

Where in Northern Ca? My great great grandmother was also from Ireland (County Cork, I was told). She and her husband settled in Bodega (Sonoma County) in around 1860. He was a McCready-his family was originally from Ireland and lived in New York for a few generations prior to his trip "around the horn" to get to CA. I have never figured out where in Ireland the McCreadys originally came from. Family history is so interesting, but equally frustrating 🙂

It is indeed - the first Irishman on Dad's side was a Nugent and was in San Francisco, as was Elizabeth Donner - who was a schoolteacher and as far as I know there have been teachers in every generation since, myself included. It took a couple more generations before my parents met. There are distant relations in Los Angeles, so seeing Nugents in film and tv credits always brings a smile. The next Nugent location I know of was in OK, then KS, then New Orleans and VA after that. Oddly enough there is a tiny town in southern Georgia that is full of Nugents, all Catholic. My branch is not, so that split goes back quite far. My Uncle tracked us back to Normandy pre Magna carta, Scandinavia before that. My branch traveled with William the Conqueror and settled in Ireland for some time before my direct ancestor traveled to the Americas. A nomadic bunch, and I tried to relocate to the Monterey area in the early 2000s but it fell through. I did my grad work in SF but as life happens I'm now on a farm near the end of the Appalachian Trail, go figure 🙂

• Like 1

On 3/8/2022 at 12:50 PM, dmurray407 said:

Always has!  We lived in San Jose and my hubby worked in South San Francisco. He hated that commute! (and that was 50 years ago...)

I have a friend that commutes from Ben Lomond (up the hill from Santa Cruz) into SF to work at Oracle every day. I can't imagine doing that - but I loved their little home in the redwoods.

On 3/8/2022 at 1:52 PM, Jawjagrrl said:

I loved their little home in the redwoods

That's a beautiful area-but a very long commute to SF. I shouldn't talk-I just retired from job that is 50 miles away from my house-so fun during a snowstorm! I sure don't miss that part 🙂