what state do you live in?

On 8/19/2021 at 3:51 PM, Gator said:

I'm stuck in WV now and hating every minute of it though I've also lived in MD, DE, VA, SC, OH, IN, IL WA, a long time in FL, and two foreign countries. 

I think like anywhere it depends on location. There's plenty of beautiful outdoor scenery in the state, but that's mostly in the eastern half. Down in the abandoned strip mine areas it's very dystopian and depressing. Huntington is so overrun with drugs Netflix made a movie about it, and it hasn't gotten any better since. Charleston is better but still has it's bad spots like any city. Neither of those main cities have any of the amenities that you'd be accustomed to if you used to live in a bigger area, so you have the same dangers but none of the benefits of a bigger area. The job market is non-existent but to be fair the cost of living is very low. Unless you're in the medical field, especially nursing. WV has always had a very sick population that doesn't take care of itself so hospitals stay full. That's especially true now with the pandemic, people refuse to take any precautions against it here.

• Like 1

Colorado (9100 feet up the mountain in Divide near colorado springs )

by way of (Fairfax, Arlington), Maryland (Silver Spring very briefly ), Texas (West Fort Hood with an almost 12 month visit to Iraq included with my ticket to that show), California ( Presidio Monterey) , Arizona ( Ft Huachuca 6 months), Hawaii (Schofield Barracks 3 years),  Georgia ( Ft. Benning 1 year),   Arizona (Tucson 4 years), Massachusetts ( Revere first 16 years) 

I've hung my shingle in a few locations I do enjoy the spot we have settled in this is the view from the road that runs along the back of the house 808025396_Thebottomofthehill.JPG.1e2e4493f4e341226755fc854c1912f7.JPG

• Like 6

On 9/24/2021 at 10:01 AM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

by way of (Fairfax, Arlington), Maryland (Silver Spring very briefly ), Texas (West Fort Hood with an almost 12 month visit to Iraq included with my ticket to that show), California ( Presidio Monterey) , Arizona ( Ft Huachuca 6 months), Hawaii (Schofield Barracks 3 years),  Georgia ( Ft. Benning 1 year),   Arizona (Tucson 4 years), Massachusetts ( Revere first 16 years) 

I've hung my shingle in a few locations I do enjoy the spot we have settled in this is the view from the road that runs along the back of the house 808025396_Thebottomofthehill.JPG.1e2e4493f4e341226755fc854c1912f7.JPG

Love THAT view!

• Like 2

NC  🙂

On 9/24/2021 at 11:01 AM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

Beautiful view!  🙂

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 9:01 AM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

I hope you love it there. You deserve it. Thank You For Your Service.

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2021 at 11:46 AM, ARMYVET said:

HELL......AKA South Florida

Ok Florida man!

On 8/17/2021 at 12:14 AM, CalmedByFish said:

Surely I'm not the only Illinoisan on here?

Went to Eureka college. I A real Illinoission test. Pops loved the Stealmill near sterling

On 8/16/2021 at 10:44 PM, Hobbit said:

Maryland!

By pax River 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 6:32 PM, mountaintoppufferkeeper said:

We don't mind it too much either :) just far enough to limit city problems and just close enough to make the commute worth it. We see more deer, elk, foxes, black bear, and eagles etc than people up here.

Next time I am in the Springs, maybe we can grab a coffee!

Some of my best photographs have been taken about 30 minutes outside the Springs.

• Like 1

I'm currently on the highly contested lands of the N'de, Diné and Tiwa... aka NM since 1912.

Grew up in Raleigh, NC...spent a bit of time in MD, NY, and FL, then left for Mexico and eventually returned stateside.

Ran a free range organic poultry farm on the Canadian border for a while, on lands of the Salish.

I am much more suited to the allow things to happen in their own time living west of the Mississippi (until you hit CA.... no offense @Zenzo, but California moves too fast, lol).

I'm hoping to make it back up to WA, our spring 2020 trip was canceled due to **waves hands at pandemic**

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 11:34 PM, Torrey said:

I'm currently on the highly contested lands of the N'de, Diné and Tiwa... aka NM since 1912.

Grew up in Raleigh, NC...spent a bit of time in MD, NY, and FL, then left for Mexico and eventually returned stateside.

Ran a free range organic poultry farm on the Canadian border for a while, on lands of the Salish.

I am much more suited to the allow things to happen in their own time living west of the Mississippi (until you hit CA.... no offense @Zenzo, but California moves too fast, lol).

I'm hoping to make it back up to WA, our spring 2020 trip was canceled due to **waves hands at pandemic**

My wife and I just got back from vacation in Red River, NM.  That's beautiful country.  I'm 60 years old, and it was the first time I ever saw mountains (but I don't intend it to be the last).

• Love 1

I'm in Northeast Ohio. Within an hour of the first city in the world to ever have a traffic light, Cleveland. August 5th 1914. It was even pretty far from downtown. Near a tram station and near the location it was built. It was a useful place to have one, but mostly just the easiest place to tie in to the grid and keep an eye on how well it worked.

Also within an hour of the first city in America to have a Police Vehicle, Akron. In 1899, it was a electric wagon, powered by lead-acid batteries (gas powered car batteries use evolved versions of these now). It was a normal buggy strapped with batteries instead of horses. It could carry 12 people, some gear, a stretcher, and had gongs mounted to the roof for sirens. Travel up to 30 miles per charge at up to 16mph. It's first job was to pick up a drunk man stopping traffic in an intersection and take him home. It was primarily used for first responder stuff like a fire or medical emergency that needed people on the ground with gear to help.

• Like 1