what state do you live in?

On 1/20/2022 at 12:37 PM, dmurray407 said:

Minnesota. Originally from Northern California.

Sames-ies!  Where in NorCal?  I grew up in the Bay Area.  In fact, much of my misspent youth took place in Santa Cruz.  So if you are from further north, I grew up in fake NorCal.  🤣 

On 1/20/2022 at 3:41 PM, JMiller2020 said:

Sw michigan

I lived in Kalamazoo for a time.  I loved SW Michigan!  I would happily live there again. 

On 1/21/2022 at 10:01 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Sames-ies!  Where in NorCal?  I grew up in the Bay Area.  In fact, much of my misspent youth took place in Santa Cruz.  So if you are from further north, I grew up in fake NorCal.  🤣 

I lived in Kalamazoo for a time.  I loved SW Michigan!  I would happily live there again. 

That's where I'm at ...the zoo.  Close to portage also

On 1/21/2022 at 9:01 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

Where in NorCal?

Santa Rosa, though my dad worked for the State and we moved all over the place from San Jose up to Eureka after I was in high school (I graduated from Sunnyvale High School-a really long time ago). My family has lived in CA since before the gold rush. My folks followed me to MN after they retired about 10 years ago and have never been really happy with the winters here  (My husband's family business is the reason we ended up here in MN and we were never smart enough to leave )🙂

On 1/21/2022 at 9:06 AM, JMiller2020 said:

I lived in Kalamazoo for a time

I think Michigan is fairly similar to MN. My grandfather grew up there-near Lansing and relatives would send photos of all the snow in the winter and I was always amazed that there could be that much snow anywhere, but here I am-living the dream! 

On 1/21/2022 at 9:06 AM, JMiller2020 said:

That's where I'm at ...the zoo.  Close to portage also

When the owners of first place I was renting ending up deciding to sell it, I moved down near Portage.  I was basically walking distance to the DW Fesh on Parkview and Oakland.  I didn't know what to expect when I lived there, but it is such a great town!  I still love walking around in my Kzoo swag.  It's literally the only place I've ever lived that managed to make the over-hyped holiday of New Year's Eve as fun as film makes it out to be.  That is a Herculean feat, and one that people don't believe when I tell them.

On 1/21/2022 at 9:09 AM, dmurray407 said:

I graduated from Sunnyvale High School

Same district!  Monta Vista.  In what is becoming, a really long time ago...

My folks followed me to MN after they retired about 10 years ago

Really?!  There is zero chance my folks will be moving here.  They haven't even visited.  They just tell me I should come back to visit them because "you miss it here anyhow".  Although, the Bay Area has changed so much in the last few years, it's crazy to me when I go back!  My sister did crash with me when she got out of the service, but when the first frost hit, she was loading her car and on the road back home.  🤣

never been really happy with the winters here

So, it's funny, the winters have never really gotten to me.  I mean, I don't love them.  But, you agree to move to Minnesota and you expect long, cold winters.  That was eyes wide open for me.  But the summers drive me nuts!  I tell people back home that Minnesota has a lot of nerve getting as hot and sticky as it does given how cold it gets.  Minnesota it seems, has all the charms of Canada in the winter and Georgia in the summer.  🤣 

My husband's family business is the reason we ended up here in MN and we were never smart enough to leave

I'm starting a business here right now.  Which I think means I have to officially stop telling people I have plans to leave.  🤭

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 1/21/2022 at 9:36 AM, Jawjagrrl said:

I lived there right out of college...changed a lot since then. Across the blue ridge from you now, in the land of (apparently) reptiles and not many fish.

Yeah there’s like two smi-decent fish stores that are small shops but been hard to actually find local nerms. I can’t seem to find local breeders  or anything even though my one fish shop says they get some things locally bred. 

On 1/22/2022 at 6:50 AM, Georgiapeach88 said:

Yeah there’s like two smi-decent fish stores that are small shops but been hard to actually find local nerms. I can’t seem to find local breeders  or anything even though my one fish shop says they get some things locally bred. 

Only 2 pet stores within 60 miles of me. Both owned by folks into reptiles and neither knows a lot about fish. What's there is not well cared for, so I've had to go the online route. You can always try looking for live fish on Ebay, etc., sort by distance and reach out to those close by. There probably are good clubs around Atlanta, but that's quite a haul for casual nerming.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2022 at 10:01 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

On 1/21/2022 at 10:09 AM, dmurray407 said:

Santa Rosa, though my dad worked for the State and we moved all over the place from San Jose up to Eureka after I was in high school (I graduated from Sunnyvale High School-a really long time ago).

Oh hey! I spent my childhood in between you, in Moraga! We moved to Ohio when I was 9. It was an amazing place to grow up. We LOVED hiking in the hills.

• Like 1

I'm in Massachusetts now; moved here recently from Maryland where I also grew up and moved away from to join the Air Force. I didn't see anyone else from MA on this thread, but lots of people from MD. I'm not surprised, as MD seems to have a lot more fishkeepers and better LFS's. Also lived in New York (upstate, north of Albany) and Virginia, and while in the Air Force - Michigan, Texas, California, and Guam (which is not a state but a territory like Puerto Rico). I kind of miss Guam because of the fabulous tropical weather, but living there came with some serious drawbacks, too.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 6:41 PM, Hobbit said:

I spent my childhood in between you, in Moraga!

Fancy!  That's a really pretty place, but so very expensive now.

On 1/22/2022 at 6:41 PM, Hobbit said:

It was an amazing place to grow up. We LOVED hiking in the hills.

I also loved the hills in the Bay Area. Such an amazing green belt of public land!  I feel a bit guilty that my kids won't have those experiences here in Minnesota.  Don't get me wrong, Minnesota has world class wilderness opportunities.  It's just that they are all hours north of here (to the great credit of the Minnesotans, they make time and take the effort to use these places!).  But, I loved as a kid getting to hop on a bike and having endless parks to explore right out back.  That just doesn't exist here. To this day people around me are thrilled when land gets developed; "how nice, they are building a new neighborhood".  I'd rather see some of that land set aside.  Public land is such a valuable community asset!  I miss it as much as I miss the crash of the waves from the Pacific. 

• Love 1

On 1/23/2022 at 5:36 AM, Maggie said:

I'm in Massachusetts now; moved here recently from Maryland where I also grew up and moved away from to join the Air Force. I didn't see anyone else from MA on this thread, but lots of people from MD. I'm not surprised, as MD seems to have a lot more fishkeepers and better LFS's. Also lived in New York (upstate, north of Albany) and Virginia, and while in the Air Force - Michigan, Texas, California, and Guam (which is not a state but a territory like Puerto Rico). I kind of miss Guam because of the fabulous tropical weather, but living there came with some serious drawbacks, too.

I used to live in the NE (grew up in CT) and just moved to MD 3 years ago. 

Have also lived in NYC (Bronx), WA (Seattle), MI (Ann Arbor), IA (Iowa City)

On 1/23/2022 at 8:37 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

That's a really pretty place, but so very expensive now.

This is part of why we left. We moved to Ohio where my mom’s family is (which is the main reason we left), and I remember my mom raving about how baby food there was less than half the price! We sold our modest home for a pretty penny and were able to afford something really nice in the midwest. My parents sure ended up on the right side of the housing market!

On 1/23/2022 at 8:37 AM, OnlyGenusCaps said:

But, I loved as a kid getting to hop on a bike and having endless parks to explore right out back. 

We had a creek in back of our house and a bike path on the other side. It was a really easy loop for a family with small kids. To get into the hills proper though, we did have to drive—no idea how long of a drive—but it feels like we went at least once a month. We knew the particular path really well. It was a great place to grow up! Nothing remotely like it in central Ohio. ❤️

• Like 1

On 1/23/2022 at 7:43 PM, Hobbit said:

We had a creek in back of our house and a bike path on the other side. It was a really easy loop for a family with small kids. To get into the hills proper though, we did have to drive—no idea how long of a drive—but it feels like we went at least once a month. We knew the particular path really well. It was a great place to grow up!

My cousins in High Point NC had a creek a few blocks away, and lived right on a bike path.

I grew up in Raleigh with a creek on the other side of the street that joined the other creek at the bottom of the block. Then the two fed into Crabtree creek about a mile away. The streets were our bike route😅

Loved catching crawfish in the creek, and as a child I thought the waterfall where one creek fed into the other was taller than a house😁 Took my kids to the creek in 2012, and the water trickle was a whole 7', lol.

My kids fell in love with my childhood friend's home: it was built on huge concrete pillars *over* the creek. The rest of the neighborhood is no longer recognizable, the stronger hurricane winds and increase in ice storms have taken out all the old oak trees, predominantly by toppling onto the homes.

My childhood home (my sister still lives there) and the Kilgore creek house are the only structures that haven't been torn down and rebuilt. 😔

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 2:55 PM, KaitieG said:

South Central Wisconsin, near the Wisconsin River, since I was 6 months old--my parents escaped Chicagoland and took me along! 

I'm in the Fox Valley WI area, also with a Chicagoland connection-- my dad's from Waukegan and my parents lived there a while before I was born.