Rainbow Shiner Breeding Journal

Here’s another look at the Rainbow Shiner fry, all doing well. Three batches together. Larger ones do not _appear_ to be predating on smaller fry. All eating finely ground flake food — I prefer feeding two Bug Bites recipes = Color Enhancing + Spirulina Formula.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, I’ve recently got 4 rainbow shiners but the male seems to be continuously fighting one off the others which maybe a less mature male. He’s been chasing it and head butting it on the side all day the other fish looks to be getting exhausted so I’ve quarantined him for the moment so he can rest. Is this normal? Will they kill each other? 

• Like 1

On 12/21/2021 at 5:52 PM, AliE said:

Hi, I’ve recently got 4 rainbow shiners but the male seems to be continuously fighting one off the others which maybe a less mature male. He’s been chasing it and head butting it on the side all day the other fish looks to be getting exhausted so I’ve quarantined him for the moment so he can rest. Is this normal? Will they kill each other? 

I have never experienced that. If you can private-message me, perhaps I can help you figure out what’s going on. Two possibilities come to mind: (1) a larger group of any fish always disperses aggression. If you can get 8-12 more, that’s ideal. (2) Are you aware whether you have males or females? 

• Like 1

Another amazing journal @Fish Folk , such great information and the way you structure your threads makes for a interesting follow. 
Those shiners are beautiful. Breeding seems to be going well for you, what kind of troubles have you had with the adults? If any? Easy to feed, environment upkeep, heavy bio-load, …

Dont think you mentioned any but do you have any other species in there? What native species do you think would be compatible? Native clean up crew?

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2021 at 10:59 PM, Atitagain said:

Another amazing journal @Fish Folk , such great information and the way you structure your threads makes for a interesting follow. 
Those shiners are beautiful. Breeding seems to be going well for you, what kind of troubles have you had with the adults? If any? Easy to feed, environment upkeep, heavy bio-load, …

Dont think you mentioned any but do you have any other species in there? What native species do you think would be compatible? Native clean up crew?

Thanks!

I got into these because I heard Cory say he'd really love to get a bunch of these a long while back. I looked them up, and all of the videos I kept finding were in German, Russian, or other languages. Clearly, they were a U. S. fish popular in Europe. @WhitecloudDynasty is a master at breeding these outside in tubs, He's careful to cull for color. Our fish club (PVAS) has a guest speaker who gave a lengthy presentation on Hydrophlox Shiners. I learned a TON from that. I'm secretly hoping someone will tell me to come visit their backyard stream, and collect Saffron Shiners some day... they're my dream native U.S. species...

443090601_ScreenShot2021-12-21at11_09_55PM.png.faffc1f78c9344a0ca77cc01b082b06c.png

Anyway, back to Rainbows. I've not had much trouble at all from the adults. They're peaceful and easy to feed. I feed them flake foods as well as some frozen foods. One small issue is that they'll jump sometimes. I also lost a couple that jammed their heads inside of a Hydor powerhead opening.

You can do about 20x in a 29 gal, no problem. They aren't a terribly messy fish. They're drift feeders. They do like some flow in the tank. I use a little tiny pond water pump to move water across the middle of the tank from side-to-side.

I've got Rainbow Darters in there with them. The two species get along perfectly fine. I tried Florida Flagfish, but the male Flagfish got too violent. I miss them though... they were very pretty. I do wish there was some "Centerpiece" fish I could keep peacefully with the Rainbow Shiners in a 29 gal. I'm just not sure there is another species. I've considered Elassomas, and kept the Okefenokee before, but they're so delicate and adverse to flow. I've considered the Black Banded Sunfish as a possibility...

843157794_ScreenShot2021-12-21at11_27_05PM.png.49b0f26d6ba313918788d0d864e97fc6.png

But haven't gone all in for them just yet. I'm increasingly convinced that my tank is best kept as a two-species set up: Rainbow Shiners & Rainbow Darters. Unfortunately, my substrate is wrong for breeding the Darters. But  I'm working on a possible breeding set up for them in the spring.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 12/21/2021 at 11:28 PM, Fish Folk said:

Thanks!

I got into these because I heard Cory say he'd really love to get a bunch of these a long while back. I looked them up, and all of the videos I kept finding were in German, Russian, or other languages. Clearly, they were a U. S. fish popular in Europe. @WhitecloudDynasty is a master at breeding these outside in tubs, He's careful to cull for color. Our fish club (PVAS) has a guest speaker who gave a lengthy presentation on Hydrophlox Shiners. I learned a TON from that. I'm secretly hoping someone will tell me to come visit their backyard stream, and collect Saffron Shiners some day... they're my dream native U.S. species...

443090601_ScreenShot2021-12-21at11_09_55PM.png.faffc1f78c9344a0ca77cc01b082b06c.png

Anyway, back to Rainbows. I've not had much trouble at all from the adults. They're peaceful and easy to feed. I feed them flake foods as well as some frozen foods. One small issue is that they'll jump sometimes. I also lost a couple that jammed their heads inside of a Hydor powerhead opening.

You can do about 20x in a 29 gal, no problem. They aren't a terribly messy fish. They're drift feeders. They do like some flow in the tank. I use a little tiny pond water pump to move water across the middle of the tank from side-to-side.

I've got Rainbow Darters in there with them. The two species get along perfectly fine. I tried Florida Flagfish, but the male Flagfish got too violent. I miss them though... they were very pretty. I do wish there was some "Centerpiece" fish I could keep peacefully with the Rainbow Shiners in a 29 gal. I'm just not sure there is another species. I've considered Elassomas, and kept the Okefenokee before, but they're so delicate and adverse to flow. I've considered the Black Banded Sunfish as a possibility...

843157794_ScreenShot2021-12-21at11_27_05PM.png.49b0f26d6ba313918788d0d864e97fc6.png

But haven't gone all in for them just yet. I'm increasingly convinced that my tank is best kept as a two-species set up: Rainbow Shiners & Rainbow Darters. Unfortunately, my substrate is wrong for breeding the Darters. But  I'm working on a possible breeding set up for them in the spring.

I live like 5 mins from one of their collection piont, I can see if I can catch any and send them to you. It wont be till spring tho. 1622585057_Screenshot_20211222-130539_SamsungInternet.jpg.d84d291512e515a864e251267a28cec1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Since I’ve missed catching eggs the last several times the Shiners spawned, I’m adjusting tactics. In place of the shallow glass brownie pan, or the glass mini-bread baking pan, I’m giving these a try:

AC735F8D-FFB8-48B9-A42D-BCA1B6AB3E2B.jpeg.727ea4aa848b4cff65c5f3227a1c0b03.jpeg

Two cheap glass candle / potpourri squares. Same general concept: eggs fall down below reach of getting eaten. But this provides two sites for them to choose from.

0A3E56C9-1E46-4C00-84CC-517D622F7E60.jpeg.668e88cabc86d8983bc12b42cfe0b25e.jpeg 

They’re easier to drop in and collect out. We’ll see!

A7EB401B-BEB1-48FE-AC39-49E3283D9681.jpeg.c7e556256112883ebef7da1d1a0b97b1.jpeg

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I live about 60 miles north of places to seine for Notropis Chrosomus.

I am working right now to get my tanks aged so in late April/May I can take a few weekends and try and get some. Hopefully raise some fry and then buy some tank raised to keep some genetic diversity.

I loved watching your videos. Excellent job. Out of curiosity, have you ever watched Cory’s (aquarium coop) video on collecting vinegar eels? I enjoy it.

Much luck to your breeding endeavors.

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2022 at 8:16 AM, James Holbrook said:

I live about 60 miles north of places to seine for Notropis Chrosomus.

I am working right now to get my tanks aged so in late April/May I can take a few weekends and try and get some. Hopefully raise some fry and then buy some tank raised to keep some genetic diversity.

I loved watching your videos. Excellent job. Out of curiosity, have you ever watched Cory’s (aquarium coop) video on collecting vinegar eels? I enjoy it.

Much luck to your breeding endeavors.

You should definitely pull some Rainbows from the wild if your game laws allow! You can check out a great dip net here if you want to try that route too.

As for V. Eels, I’ve watched a number of videos with the fluted tops, wool, water up / vinegar down. I should probably do that 🤣🤣🤣

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2022 at 7:32 AM, Fish Folk said:

As for V. Eels, I’ve watched a number of videos with the fluted tops, wool, water up / vinegar down. I should probably do that 🤣🤣🤣

I didn’t mean you were doing it wrong. I personally would be terrified of trying to offset the vinegar, but hey brother, I watched you do it quite well so who am I to tell you. I didn’t know if you had seen them.

Keep on keeping on. I’m following your post. 👍🏾

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

All fired up this morning. No stones out yet…

300BA51D-B2E6-4E09-B01E-50462A19B1D2.jpeg.56e9a53d2dbc6bd8e19ec225e24f48e6.jpeg

The trick is providing a target without killing the vibe…

4EE34C88-F4F5-4F0F-BF79-9C0F45A23681.jpeg.98a7a15dc225f0698bbaeb1e79c3302c.jpeg

Here’s a look at them in spawning dress. Note females appear darker when not fired up. It only takes one female to trigger the males.

Darters have made appearances, eager for some caviar… 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 11:27 AM, Odd Duck said:

Love it!  How do you go about getting the eggs out of the stones without crushing eggs?  Do you have to pick up each rock or can you just pour out the eggs with the water?

It’s interesting, the eggs just go to the bottom. They’re “slimy” enough not to get pinched. I just gently remove stones one by one, and there are the eggs in the bottom! 

• Like 2

On 3/11/2022 at 11:47 AM, Fish Folk said:

It’s interesting, the eggs just go to the bottom. They’re “slimy” enough not to get pinched. I just gently remove stones one by one, and there are the eggs in the bottom! 

Like watermelon seeds, they just squirt away from being crushed!  Fascinating!  I have to wonder if that’s part of their evolution.  Cory eggs aren’t slimy at all.  They’re sticky to the touch.  They don’t adhere from slime.  It almost feels like adhesive but leaves no residue that I’ve ever felt on my fingers.

• Like 2

On 3/11/2022 at 1:57 PM, Odd Duck said:

Like watermelon seeds, they just squirt away from being crushed!  Fascinating!  I have to wonder if that’s part of their evolution.  Cory eggs aren’t slimy at all.  They’re sticky to the touch.  They don’t adhere from slime.  It almost feels like adhesive but leaves no residue that I’ve ever felt on my fingers.

Yeah, I had to touch a bunch of Bristlenose Pleco eggs this week — strange texture too, more like Corydoras.

On 3/11/2022 at 1:24 PM, Fish Folk said:

Yeah, I had to touch a bunch of Bristlenose Pleco eggs this week — strange texture too, more like Corydoras.

Are they adherent?  I thought they were loose since some come out of the cave accidentally?  And don’t people just pour them out of the cave if they decide to try hatching them?

• Like 1

On 3/11/2022 at 3:23 PM, Odd Duck said:

Are they adherent?  I thought they were loose since some come out of the cave accidentally?  And don’t people just pour them out of the cave if they decide to try hatching them?

My BNPs laid them beneath a piece of dragonstone. They were all rubbery, and stuck firmly to the stone.