Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'breeding journal'.

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


Forums

  • General
    • Introductions & Greetings
    • General Discussion
    • Photos, Videos & Journals
    • Plants, Algae, and Fertilizers
    • Fish Breeding
    • Diseases
    • Aquarium Co-Op's Local Announcements
    • Aquarium Co-Op Events
    • Forum Announcements
  • Off Topic
    • Off Topic General

Blogs

  • Daniel's Fishroom Blog
  • Music
  • Music for Fish

Calendars

There are no results to display.

Product Groups

There are no results to display.


Find results in...

Find results that contain...


Date Created

  • Start

    End


Last Updated

  • Start

    End


Filter by number of...

Joined

  • Start

    End


Group


About Me

Found 4 results

  1. Late July, I acquired a group of 4 individuals with a good idea that at least one was female and one was male. Turns out I'm fairly confident that I have two females and two males. Video of first day after hatch: https://imgur.com/gapeF6Q They begun breeding behavior within a week of being in this 75g that is stuffed well with driftwood. I completely screwed up the first batch of eggs I got. They continued to show breeding behavior and I'm sure I missed some batches of eggs but on Oct 2nd I pulled several hundred eggs from the tank, carefully sifted through the mulm pulling out viable eggs. I then placed them in the breeder box with Methylene Blue, most breeders say the eggs hatch in about 5 days, mine took 7-8 to hatch. The eggs became an amber color as the fry developed in the egg. At 5 days I WCed until all the MB was gone. Most hatched two days after that. As of today the fry are roughly 4 days old. I have lot of work a head of me but it seems like the green water culture out side that I have is plenty of food for them. Currently I am harvesting the water, running it through a baby brine shrimp sieve to pull out any undesirable or inedible stuff then feeding that. I'm also removing tank water from a VERY dirty pleco tank straining that and adding it to the green water in hopes of building up the paramecium count in the green water before adding. I've got small cyst baby brine shrimp, going to try that out this weekend and see if they are large enough for it yet. Paramecium get 400um and these BBS supposedly hatch at 450um. So assuming that the puffers are large enough to eat big paramecium they should be able to eat the smallest of bbs. Video of them eating micro organisms: https://imgur.com/gallery/7LOko3w
  2. Recently, my Notropis Chrosomus have been “fired up” in spawning mode. I added a trio of Xenotoca doadrioi to their tank for fun, and shot this short — shows a few of the shiners still turned on… And this evening, I thought I’d check out the rock pile Pyrex container to see if there were any eggs. I still can’t believe what I found (sorry for my giddy excitement)… I laid the lid back over, and set a couple pieces of cupboard liner on top to further diffuse the light. These fry are not big fans of bright light. I’ll serve up some vinegar eels and Sera Micron until they can try out BBS. Kind of excited! Not sure I’ll sleep tonight… 😂
  3. Hey fish nerds, I wanted to start a informal journal to chronicle my fish room I think my situation might be interesting enough to follow for any aspiring breeding for profit fishrooms out there, and its always helpful to have other inputs on future decisions I make for the room. Without writing out a whole autobiography here basically between me and my wife, we have a combined 16 years and counting in the fish industry. I worked in aquarium maintenance and for a fish store here in Tampa. I met my wife at said fish store where she was in charge of the freshwater department for the majority of the time we were there. She now works for a local fish wholesaler. So long story short I'm a stay at home dad these days so as of 2 months ago I dusted off my collection of tanks and re set up the fish room in my garage. If I'm going to be home all day I may as well breed some fish for profit! I've already had a deal worked out with the buyer at the local fish wholesaler to buy anything I make (freight costs a fortune these days so wholesalers much like fish stores would rather have local sourced fish) So since I'm approaching breeding for profit form a different angle than a lot of fishrooms you'll see and because I'm in Florida I can, and plan to, expand into a partial outdoor fishroom I hope this will be interesting enough to follow!
  4. Treated this 40 gal breeder with API Fungus Cure. Water looks like engine coolant. Electric Blue Acaras could care less, and chose to spawn on a big shell. I'm trying to figure out exactly how I want to try to pull the eggs . . .
×
×
  • Create New...