Rainbow Shiner Breeding Journal

On 3/11/2022 at 2:25 PM, Fish Folk said:

My BNPs laid them beneath a piece of dragonstone. They were all rubbery, and stuck firmly to the stone.

Good to know.  I wonder if I’m mis-remembering and it was fresh hatchlings they were dumping out of the cave still with giant yolk sacs?

It’s vivid in my mind’s eye of seeing bright yellow blobs.  Of course my mind has become a rusty steel trap these days, sometimes playing tricks on me!  😂 🤣 😉 

• Haha 1

On 3/11/2022 at 3:28 PM, Odd Duck said:

Good to know.  I wonder if I’m mis-remembering and it was fresh hatchlings they were dumping out of the cave still with giant yolk sacs?

It’s vivid in my mind’s eye of seeing bright yellow blobs.  Of course my mind has become a rusty steel trap these days, sometimes playing tricks on me!  😂 🤣 😉 

They are cute yellow blobs! Here’s my BNP eggs hatching into wigglers (a different tank than Shiners)…

• Love 2

• 3 weeks later...

Shiners are spawning again today - 03-31-2022.

They are letting lots of eggs fall around the tank, and Rainbow Darters are eagerly awaiting “caviar.” 😂

I found some eggs laid down in the molmy water under the stones. Here’s a talk-through…

Here’s a photo of the “Java box” where I tossed the eggs+molm…

D39554BA-9990-4776-B645-7D949A008AD9.jpeg.71b88e977dc54777c32c251d52506975.jpeg

I cleaned off the stones, and placed the refreshed glass tray into the tank. Shiners have been very happy over it…

I am optimistic that I’ll get a nice haul of eggs within the next 48 hrs. Whether or not I can get them to hatch after my last two failed attempts… who knows. I think I’ll try using a DIY floating flow-through  fry tray this time. I can place a plastic card piece over the top to lower lighting.

4657ADCE-08C9-4616-B054-5F5D564910F1.jpeg.a048da6251f801a7ebbfd89e09547a35.jpeg

C76496BB-56FC-4C05-91E6-320A26370982.jpeg.0f0c56b1c9088286f3cdb15c97059007.jpeg

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Love 2

On 3/31/2022 at 4:05 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Absolutely stunning. I have nearly pulled the trigger on this purchase 5 times in the last month. Must...resist...the....fish....

Same.  But my tanks temps run at least 72’F during the winter even without heaters and up to 76’F during the summer.  It will only be higher after I consolidate into a fish room.  So I keep resisting because I wouldn’t be good for them, sadly.  😢 

• Like 2

On 3/31/2022 at 5:28 PM, Odd Duck said:

Same.  But my tanks temps run at least 72’F during the winter even without heaters and up to 76’F during the summer.  It will only be higher after I consolidate into a fish room.  So I keep resisting because I wouldn’t be good for them, sadly.  😢 

On 3/31/2022 at 5:05 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Absolutely stunning. I have nearly pulled the trigger on this purchase 5 times in the last month. Must...resist...the....fish....

I keep thinking of it as well. What temperatures are good for them I know their a cold water fish but what is that 68F? Lower?

Would a chiller be needed? My unheated tanks run 68-71F

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 7:46 PM, Atitagain said:

I keep thinking of it as well. What temperatures are good for them I know their a cold water fish but what is that 68F? Lower?

Would a chiller be needed? My unheated tanks run 68-71F

Actually, they’re very happy in low 70s. Just run some extra air for dissolved oxygen. They actually breed well if around 70-74°-F.

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here’s the floating DIY fry container where I pulled the Rainbow Shiner eggs to last evening. Airstone added… I even hit with methylene blue, though it quickly dispersed. I’m not holding my breath, but I’ll be thrilled even if _some_ fry hatch here.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 4/1/2022 at 9:25 AM, Fish Folk said:

Here’s the floating DIY fry container where I pulled the Rainbow Shiner eggs to last evening. Airstone added… I even hit with methylene blue, though it quickly dispersed. I’m not holding my breath, but I’ll be thrilled even if _some_ fry hatch here.

So excited to follow your process and learn from you, @Fish Folk! Your YouTube channel is one of my faves.

In the same vein as everyone's comments above, these fish are GORGEOUS and I have resisted a few times buying them. But until I learn more about them and get a bit more experienced with other species, I will hold off. 

Best of luck! 🐟 

• Thanks 1

Those shiners are amazing, congrats on your fry! 
these are good for outside tubs? I have a 100G tub and thinking these will be the main stocking. Along with some White Cloud Mountain minnows? Maybe not a good match but definitely wanna do the shiners first.

are they able to be in tub year around I wonder? What temp would I need to keep the water for them to survive winter outside? 

• Like 1

On 4/14/2022 at 5:13 AM, Atitagain said:

these are good for outside tubs? I have a 100G tub and thinking these will be the main stocking. Along with some White Cloud Mountain minnows? Maybe not a good match but definitely wanna do the shiners first.

are they able to be in tub year around I wonder? What temp would I need to keep the water for them to survive winter outside? 

Thanks! You know, I think the best answers from experience should come from @WhitecloudDynasty who keeps, raises, and breeds them in outdoor tubs. My _guess_ is that they need to come in in the harsh winters out your way. They’ll do fine dipping down into the 50s, but sustained temps lower… I’m not sure.

On 4/14/2022 at 5:13 AM, Atitagain said:

The lowes I kept mine was 20f but I do brake the ice

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2022 at 4:43 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Ughh, I am off the site for 2 weeks and then come back on to this!! I so want to pull the trigger on these guys. They are absolutely gorgeous and so happy for their productivity which is a all due to your excellent husbandry!

They are easy fish to keep, just keep the DO high and they'll be fine. 

• Like 2