Rainbow Shiner Breeding Journal

On 9/13/2021 at 4:54 PM, Tihshho said:

Any idea why the one batch didn't make it?

I had a pretty busy day or two at a critical time. They were beginning to wiggle, and I should have changed water. The amount of detritus brought in was fairly high to begin with. The really need vigilance between the moment when they begin moving until free swimming. But I had a death in the family, and my son broke his clavicle playing soccer . . . so fish definitely took a back seat.

• Sad 2

On 9/13/2021 at 5:09 PM, Fish Folk said:

I had a pretty busy day or two at a critical time. They were beginning to wiggle, and I should have changed water. The amount of detritus brought in was fairly high to begin with. The really need vigilance between the moment when they begin moving until free swimming. But I had a death in the family, and my son broke his clavicle playing soccer . . . so fish definitely took a back seat.

My deepest condolences on your loss and I truly hope your son is doing ok.  You and your family are in my prayers!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2021 at 5:09 PM, Fish Folk said:

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear that 😞 Sorry for your loss, and I hope your son heals quickly. Fish definitely take a back seat to a lot of things, and these kinds of things especially.

• Thanks 1

Excited! Shiner batch #1 moving from office to Fishroom at home, now that the Gourami tank is cleared out, and lowered to room temp (70-ish)

23E80559-959A-409A-9D88-81CC2DED6F24.jpeg.0ccdc8462a726752d384dfcfe3d02455.jpeg

I’ll use this pail to set the breeder net into. I place ca. 4-5 inches of their current tank water in the bucket. Then set the breeder net inside, sitting flat on bottom. Easy to move in and out.

10DF9962-3673-426E-B5FF-8FDBBA962EA2.jpeg.92f0efba85980c33bbd30c2e653f04b0.jpeg

Stay tuned…

• Like 2

R. Shiner fry from batch #1 all settling into new digs. I can see 1 or 2 that will need to be culled. (Advance apologies for the cricket hiding somewhere here in the fishroom chirping up a storm 😂) here’s a 1-minute video…

Just one interlocutor from the “previous administration” remains. This BNP seems to be a runt. Small… I like it!!

F3C38DE0-5857-40DD-B98C-2DC108782BE6.jpeg.3292220a1fefc1362d3fadc92d490a9e.jpeg

• Like 3

On 9/15/2021 at 3:28 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Fish Folkthey are already looking like little shiners! How cool?! Agree with @ARMYVETfor us aspiring shiner keepers what are you looking at regarding the culls? Spines bent, deformity or color issues?

I’ll try to catch a video. There’s one that’s pretty obviously damaged in spine, and wobbles as it swims. 

• 2 weeks later...