Hi everyone!! My name is Chloe. I have a 7.5 gallon/30 liter tank with a plakat betta named Speckles (hence why my username is Chloe and Speckles)! Speckles is very interactive, loves food, has at least 4 shades of iridescence on his body, and is a super non aggressive betta fish. A few days ago I got 3 otocinclus as well, and Speckles has gotten along with them perfectly so far. I haven't got any pictures of the otos yet because I experimented with spirulina powder to feed them and it turned my water green...I'm in the process of doing water changes to bring things back to normal. 

IMG_0340.jpeg.9f424dfeadf8ba5d4d18e6b420c7f21a.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Love 2

On 7/15/2021 at 12:50 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

Hi, beautiful Betta (Hi Spreckles). My Otos love Hikari algae wafers and they don't seem to cloud any of my water. 🙂 

Omg hi xXInkedPhoenixX!! I saw your post on accidental breeding of otos, I want to be just like you!! Unfortunately I'm experimenting with other food sources than algae wafers at the moment because the day I brought the otos home, as soon as I put an algae wafer, Speckles utterly gorged himself on it. It looks like Speckles is pregnant with twins. I put some fresh vegetables in yesterday and Speckles has had I think less success with them. I'm getting Repashy Soilent Green soon, it wasn't available locally for me so it'll be a few weeks until it is shipped. I'm hoping that will be less palatable for Speckles and greatly favored by the otos. It's incredible that your little oto fry eat your crushed Hikari algae wafers!! I'm going to try to make some gel food before the repashy comes, I'm going to steal your idea of having a fish bowl in for the otos' food ^-^

😂 Sweet! Copy whatever you'd like, why shouldn't our water pets have fancy food bowls too?! Funny, my new betta, Spark is a piggie herself but she's not all that interested in the snail snacks I drop in for her pet Nerite snail Curlycue. My neons in another tank however like to try whatever I put in the bowl for snails. 

In the next couple of weeks I'll be turning in my baby Otos, but I've had time to experiment with foods. Honestly in the end hands down Hikari has been their go to (but to be fair as you saw they were raised on it). They pick at the Repashy Super Green (I didn't get soilent), they aren't fans of zucchini or green beans, but they really like cucumbers. 

• Like 1

On 7/15/2021 at 1:33 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

😂 Sweet! Copy whatever you'd like, why shouldn't our water pets have fancy food bowls too?! Funny, my new betta, Spark is a piggie herself but she's not all that interested in the snail snacks I drop in for her pet Nerite snail Curlycue. My neons in another tank however like to try whatever I put in the bowl for snails. 

In the next couple of weeks I'll be turning in my baby Otos, but I've had time to experiment with foods. Honestly in the end hands down Hikari has been their go to (but to be fair as you saw they were raised on it). They pick at the Repashy Super Green (I didn't get soilent), they aren't fans of zucchini or green beans, but they really like cucumbers. 

Ohh Spark is a great name for a betta! Curlycue is very good too, you have good names. What are the snail snacks you use? It's probably good that your baby otos were raised on Hikari, when people adopt them they're probably going to be continuing to feed the otos algae wafers. Hmm cucumbers, did you blanch the cucumbers beforehand? I have lebanese cucumbers on hand, they're a bit denser than normal cucumbers, I might chuck a slice in the tank. 

On 7/15/2021 at 6:22 AM, Chloe and Speckles said:

Ohh Spark is a great name for a betta! Curlycue is very good too, you have good names. What are the snail snacks you use? It's probably good that your baby otos were raised on Hikari, when people adopt them they're probably going to be continuing to feed the otos algae wafers. Hmm cucumbers, did you blanch the cucumbers beforehand? I have lebanese cucumbers on hand, they're a bit denser than normal cucumbers, I might chuck a slice in the tank. 

🙂 Thanks! I've actually gotten some homemade snail foods from Etsy (cause I'm too lazy to make them myself) MysterySnailsEtc. My snails really love the Snail Snacks and Calcium Chews they make. Cucumbers I do nothing with and leave on a veggie clip for 24 hours, both the Otos and the Snails love them. I'll attach a pic of what they typically look like the next day, buut sometimes there is NOTHING but a little string left. I typically use English Cucumbers, they don't like the typical kind, and I cut off the skin. 

Resized_20210707_083158.jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
1 more thing.
  • Like 1

On 7/16/2021 at 4:56 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

🙂 Thanks! I've actually gotten some homemade snail foods from Etsy (cause I'm too lazy to make them myself) MysterySnailsEtc. My snails really love the Snail Snacks and Calcium Chews they make. Cucumbers I do nothing with and leave on a veggie clip for 24 hours, both the Otos and the Snails love them. I'll attach a pic of what they typically look like the next day, buut sometimes there is NOTHING but a little string left. I typically use English Cucumbers, they don't like the typical kind, and I cut off the skin. 

Resized_20210707_083158.jpg

Ooo thanks good to know!! If I buy an English cucumber I'll peel the sides and give a slice to my otos! I my otos are just going to get tidbits of groceries I would normally buy for myself from now on.