Your Favorite Books

FrozenFins

For me its incredibly hard to find a good book, but when I do all I do is read the book till I'm finished. I am planning to get into a book sereis this summer. Whats your favorite books?

Here are mine:

1. The 5th Wave Trilogy
  2. The Martian 
  3. The Stones Trilogy
  4. Harry Potter (read this like 5 years ago, and it still ranks as one of the best series I have ever read. Worth a read no matter your age.)
  • Like 2

I LOVE reading. I personally don't go for anything bigger than a trilogy (but I have trudged thru long series- like Dark Tower, and regretted it). In my travels single books have had the greatest impact and I tend to find some obscure ones. My most favorite book of ALL time is Drift by Sharon Carter Rogers- it's not easy to explain but every person I've had read it has been touched by it, man or woman. I've read it almost 10 times and have 2 copies of it (1 to loan because I can't be parted with it). It's not in print anymore which is a shame, I find it used. Another favorite is Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow, written in prose and flows so nicely- it's a modern take on werewolves (I'm a big fan), his other book Babayaga is also very very good. I have a humorous author that I like A. Lee Martinez the first book I read of his was Gil's All Fright Diner, but one of my favorites is Monster (a monster exterminator with special unpredictable powers), I can also highly recommend Divine Misfortune- he has a wonderful quirky sense of humor. 

tempFileForShare_20210626-1929201.jpg

tempFileForShare_20210626-1930141.jpg

tempFileForShare_20210626-1930501.jpg

• Like 2

My all-time favorite book is The Shack. Though I think the writing is clunky in places, the overall concept of the plot absolutely enthralls me. It's the only book that I can say truly changed my day-to-day perception of reality. 

I went back through Becoming with a highlighter. It's got some gems.

I very much want to read I've Got Something to Tell You, but have been slammed with life events. 

I love the first cyberpunk books by William Gibson:

Burning Chrome, Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive

I started reading these in high school, before the world-wide web, when my most expensive possessions were my Mac, a US Robotics modem, and a second phone line for my BBS. Those stories, and others from authors like Bruce Sterling, envisioned the future of the Internet, and inspired a lot of nerds and geeks to make it happen.

2975A53A-6CC0-40A4-A5DA-5403F08A6E21.jpeg.5efdb684a948db1518295a2c428aeef5.jpeg

D3E5FAFA-4EC4-45BE-B8D4-CD20B594808F.jpeg.4fb9ebd17634d917a30f3df5d18d2594.jpeg

I remember when I showed up at CU Boulder in summer of 1993 and asked for Ethernet in my dorm room, and the housing director said that I was the first to ask, and gave me a job running a computer lab. I have been in IT ever since.

These books helped shape my life!

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 6/27/2021 at 3:52 PM, Streetwise said:

@eatyourpeas, I got Neal Stephenson to sign his Wired magazine article about wiring the world at a book reading in Boulder.

The Baroque Cycle was amazing, especially with the Cryptonomicon. Seveneves was great.

Nice! He is one of my favorite wacky guys. Hard to pick a favorite, Seveneves was awesome. I remember reading Snow Crash to my kids when they were little. We still talk about YT...

• Thanks 1

I like

1. Ready player One (p.s the first one really good, the 2nd not so much)

2. The Martian

3. Halo: The Fall of Reach

4. Star Wars: The Darth Bane series (books 1, 2 and 3)

5. Fire in The Valley: The Birth and Death of The Personal Computer

Its because I'm a Nerd, Nerm and a Geek!

• Like 1

Hi, I really liked Ecology of the Planted Aquarium by Diana Walstad. It's a really good dive (excuse the pun lol) into aquariums and the benefits plants provide. It also gives some data that backs up some of the advice I hear on YouTube. Another one I really liked was the My Side of the Mountain series by Jean Craighead George. The book is written beautifully, has a ton of interesting plant/nature trivia, and is just a joy to read. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/27/2021 at 11:58 AM, Streetwise said:

I love the first cyberpunk books by William Gibson:

Burning Chrome, Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive

I started reading these in high school, before the world-wide web, when my most expensive possessions were my Mac, a US Robotics modem, and a second phone line for my BBS. Those stories, and others from authors like Bruce Sterling, envisioned the future of the Internet, and inspired a lot of nerds and geeks to make it happen.

2975A53A-6CC0-40A4-A5DA-5403F08A6E21.jpeg.5efdb684a948db1518295a2c428aeef5.jpeg

D3E5FAFA-4EC4-45BE-B8D4-CD20B594808F.jpeg.4fb9ebd17634d917a30f3df5d18d2594.jpeg

I remember when I showed up at CU Boulder in summer of 1993 and asked for Ethernet in my dorm room, and the housing director said that I was the first to ask, and gave me a job running a computer lab. I have been in IT ever since.

These books helped shape my life!

Ahh, the golden days of electronic communication! I ran a WWIV BBS from late 1990 to 1994 when the WWW efficiently killed the BBS community. 
William Gibson was so important to that community. It’s amazing how precinct he is! 

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...

My favorite non-fiction book is Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind

B00ICN066A.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg

My favorite fiction book cannot be narrowed to a single book, but is The Dark Tower series by Stephen King - a seven book series (eight if you count a small post-conclusion published, middle book that is kind of just a standalone story)

The Dark Tower 8-Book Boxed Set (Series #01-07) (Paperback)

I read quite a bit, and have for close to 50 years.  Favorite authors have come and gone through the years, and of course I've outlived some of them.  John D. MacDonald and Elmer Kelton come to mind.

Right now if you pinned me down and said "You have to pick one series, and it's all you can read in the future", I'd probably go with David Weber's Honor Harrington books.  If I could pick two I'd probably add John Sandford's Prey series.

I am really happy to read here listed as favorites so many books I've never heard of--and a million years ago I worked at Barnes and Noble shelving books all day, so I've heard of a lot of books, lol.

I have too many favorites to choose favorites, but I can recommend these standouts in each of my fave categories:

True Crime--To the Bridge by Nancy Rommellman

Maritime Disaster--Ghost Ship by Brian Hicks, Island of the Lost by Joan Druett, and Adrift: 76  days lost at sea by Brian Callahan

Suspenseful British Fiction--The Crimson Rooms by Katherine McMahon and The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters (if you like the Downton Abbey time period but not-so-rosy storylines).

Suspenseful Character-driven Mystery, set out West--The Quiet Streets of Winslow by Judy Troy

No category, just great fiction: The Tenderness of Wolves by Stef Penney

Looking through the comments it seems as though we have many Sci Fi fans here. I have read Dune, Foundation Trilogy and Contact ( Along with other Carl Sagan). I am also a British History enthusiast with Romano Britain my true love. I study Scotish and Irish Gaelic. My best escape is the world of Jane Austen.

• Like 1