Centerpiece fish for 40G breeder suggestions

I am working on starting to add fish to the 40G I would really like a centerpiece fish for that tank. But I would prefer something that will get along with guppies, corydora's, Plecos and Otto's fish. 

I have watched some many videos that I am beginning to overthink and overwhelm myself. I am a community tank kind of gal, so want a fish that would terrorize other friendly fish. 

Or, should I get larger schooling fish? IDK.. ugh.. 

What do some of you have? Pros and cons?? 

I picked up a group of 3 pearl gourami (2f, 1m) for this purpose, and they were fantastic. They're large, beautiful, peaceful fish. However, after ~90 days their personality has completely changed. They hide all day, and flip out when they see people. Super odd behavior. They'd be my vote, even though my experience with them has been mixed!

• Like 1

I actually wouldn't recommend dwarf gouramis (though they're adorable and beautiful) only because I'm anxious about dwarf gourami iridovirus. I don't want to invite that heartbreak! Pearl gouramis would be great and very pretty. You can also try a pair of dwarf cichlids like a nannacara anomala, apistogramma, or ram. I'm mixed on angelfish, as popular as they are. Keyhole cichlids might work, too, and I hear they have a sweet disposition.

On 6/25/2021 at 3:45 PM, Sandra the fish rookie said:

My other concern, is I will eventually have some guppies in there as the overflow from the 20G. I hear that there are some fish that get super annoyed by guppies. 

Anyone have Diamond Tetra's??? I saw a picture of those ones. Man what a pretty fish.

@Colu would Bolivian rams be okay with guppies? 

I have Diamond Tetras. Beautiful fish! They will look gorgeous in a 40. I started with six, they multiplied to nine. I'm surprised by how prolific and successful they are at breeding! I really do love them, and they're beautiful fish, but the males do spar amongst themselves (sometimes violently, it's normal for subdominant males to have some tatters in their fins) for breeding rights. Know what to expect and all will be well. 🙂

If you want diamond tetras (and if I were to start over), I'd go for at least 8 or 9 to start.

ETA: They are completely peaceful with other fish and the sparring is limited to the males in the group.

Edited by laritheloud

I have 9 pearl gouramis in my 40 gallon breeder.  It is heavily planted, which gives plenty of hiding places and sight breaks.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.  I can almost always see at least 6, and sometimes all 9, hanging out at the front of the tank.

• Like 2

On 6/25/2021 at 4:09 PM, JettsPapa said:

I have 9 pearl gouramis in my 40 gallon breeder.  It is heavily planted, which gives plenty of hiding places and sight breaks.  I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.  I can almost always see at least 6, and sometimes all 9, hanging out at the front of the tank.

I remember your tank from FishLore! Absolutely love your pearls (from a fellow gourami lover).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@JettsPapa I have been reading that they are very skittish. The 40gallon is in the main living room and my house is open concept.. so there is always movement. My tank is quite planted but don't want them to hide all the time. Could I see a picture of your tank? I am hoping mine is planted enough. I mean I still have some time. I have Otto's and Panda cory's in QT so I have at least 3 weeks to research and confuse myself even more.. 🙂 

On 6/25/2021 at 3:39 PM, laritheloud said:

pair of dwarf cichlids like a nannacara anomala, apistogramma, or ram.

@laritheloudI love all of these choices.. see that is my problem.. I just can't pick.. also not sure my LFS will have these so I would have to order them online which is totally fine. my only issue is if they breed (which I am not trying to do) and they become aggressive.. 😞 

I have an electric blue acara in mine. It's been a great fish so far. Very active and always excited when somebody comes near the tank. I have a pearl gourami as well but it mostly stays in the back picking algae off of plants and it chases my rainbowfish relentlessly.

@sudofish Ohhh that is a really pretty fish! I think that would be very pretty in my 40 G breeder with my panda corydora's, Ottos, plecos and the occasional guppy from the 20G. Will a 40 Gallon be large enough for it to swim around? I watched videos where 55G are better for them? Maybe that is if they are kept with other cichlids?

On 6/25/2021 at 3:22 PM, Sandra the fish rookie said:

@JettsPapa I have been reading that they are very skittish. The 40gallon is in the main living room and my house is open concept.. so there is always movement. My tank is quite planted but don't want them to hide all the time. Could I see a picture of your tank? I am hoping mine is planted enough. I mean I still have some time. I have Otto's and Panda cory's in QT so I have at least 3 weeks to research and confuse myself even more.. 🙂 

Mine aren't at all skittish.  I could probably catch them with a coffee cup.

Here's a picture.  (By the way, am I the only one that uses lights as drying racks for nets, scissors, etc.)

image.png.3ed163069ce401079071a885397fac82.png

• Like 1
  • Love 2

@JettsPapa They are so pretty!! Would you think 1 or more than 1? I swear it will take me FOREVER to pick a centerpiece fish.. because all of the recommendations have been really good (Electric blue acara, Pearl Gourami, Honey Gourami Bolivian Rams, Apisto's).. all great recommendations. now I will just have to COMIT.. and DO IT.. 🙂 

On 6/28/2021 at 3:03 PM, Sandra the fish rookie said:

@JettsPapa They are so pretty!! Would you think 1 or more than 1? I swear it will take me FOREVER to pick a centerpiece fish.. because all of the recommendations have been really good (Electric blue acara, Pearl Gourami, Honey Gourami Bolivian Rams, Apisto's).. all great recommendations. now I will just have to COMIT.. and DO IT.. 🙂 

I probably wouldn't do less than 3.

• Thanks 1

I mean I guess I have 2 centerpieces? I do have a single pearl gourami as well as the EBA. My gourami is mean to the rainbowfish because he is very territorial and thinks he owns all the plants. He doesn't even come out to eat because he grazes all day on algae on the plants.