Malaysian trumpet snails

Leo2o915

On 6/14/2021 at 3:41 AM, Leo2o915 said:

How to control the population ? Want to get rid of at least 90% in my 40 breeder with my L134 breeding group 

Honestly... I have no idea. I have booming populations in a number of tanks. At night, they’ll surf the glass. You can physically remove them easily then. But that’s still a small amount compared to what’s in your substrate. Maybe you just keep physically removing them by hand over the long haul.

But if there’s a trick, I want to learn it! 

• Like 1

To get rid of trumpet snails, I like to bait them with food. Drop in an algae wafer or some veggies and they'll flock to it and then you can scoop them out. Many will flock to it. After that, reduce what you're feeding. Snail populations boom when there's excess food. It's not an instantaneous process, but you can seriously reduce the number of trumpet snails that way. 

• Like 2

Baby MTS normally float along the top of the tank so you can try scooping them out unless you have a ton of surface agitation. Next is if you drop in a cucumber wedge right before bed, first thing in the morning you can net out the cucumber and all the snails, you will get close to 100 that way ribse and repeat, however they are super beneficial so i wouldnt remove any. Also if you over feed they will just continue to colonize

20210613_230734.jpg

• Like 1

Just a note about loaches—I have two yo-yo loaches in my 55 gallon and my population of MTS is still booming. I haven’t seen my loaches hunting snails in a while. Not sure why, but it might have to do with the fact that the loaches aren’t growing anymore. Maybe they’re just not as hungry.

I reduced feeding recently and it definitely helped lower the MTS population. (Maybe also made the loaches hungrier. 😁)