On 9/8/2021 at 10:16 PM, Isaac M said:

I wonder if a darker less reflective colored phone scares fish off less? 😂

I have a hypothesis that from a fish’s perspective, the lens looks like a big eye, and then the motion of the phone tracking them seems like a predator. If this is true, then darker phones would scare the fish less because the lens would blend in more. My phone has two lenses so it looks like two eyes—even worse! 😆

• Haha 3

Wow @Colu, thank you for all the support/ reactions, I appreciate that very much! Thank you for your comment, this forum (and especially very active and helpful members like you) has really inspired me and reignited my passion for my aquariums more than it has ever been in the past 15 years. 

• Like 1

Hi everyone, nothing too exciting has happened with the aquariums but I did make a feeder for freeze dried tubifex worms. I have been wanting to make something like this for a long time, especially after seeing a version of this that Dean made. I have always put my hands in the aquarium and pressed the tubifex worms against the glass so the corys can eat them, even then sometimes they would float up, plus I never liked putting my arm into the aquarium to feed. 

381B63C9-0AF7-4A7F-B2E0-52FDEF6A53F3.jpeg.d367080310cbbdc3e3c0973948fd9122.jpeg

I ended up superglueing some plant weights onto a feeder cone so that it stays upside down underwater. I also tied some fishing line to the tip of the feeder cone. 

85FE5496-EA00-44A4-B734-FE8AC66550FA.jpeg.3258dd4090843428c64eb0a81d338e0b.jpeg

At the other end of the fishing line I tied a short piece of airline tubing. I cut the fishing line long enough so that the cone can stay underwater and the piece of airline tubing can hang outside of the rim of the aquarium. However, if the airline tubing ever falls into the aquarium, it floats so you can easily grab it to take the cone out without getting your arm wet.  

A3384817-9E05-4566-8B62-6A563E4D1D3D.jpeg.53ded880218dbcac3fcae400349d01ca.jpeg

And you can easily hang it from a command hook attached to your aquarium stand for storage/ drying. Mine is hanging in a difficult to photograph area so I just held the hook with my hand for demonstration purposes haha 

But there you have it, now my freeze dried tubifex worms stay submerged at the bottom without needing to get my arms wet. I should have done this a lot sooner! haha 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

Update on the 40 Breeder Riparium, finally removed my canister filter that I did not service often enough to the point that it had very little flow. And apparently it also housed a colony of red cherry shrimp haha

I am now down to only sponge filters and internal filters in all of my aquariums. My 40 breeder riparium now has minimal filtration in the traditional sense. I am using a nano sponge filter(rated for 5 gallons and up) and a powerhead (with a small coarse filter sponge inside the intake strainer) from the Aquarium Co-op. However, the riparian plants should be more than enough filtration for this aquarium alone. A few days later and everyone is looking more active than before. Pygmy corydoras definitely approve of the flow provided by the powerhead! 

16B7E9BF-9391-45EB-821A-5C0DD3B03FEB.gif.298ab990639369485811e4f3726227e3.gif

• Like 6
  • Love 6

On 10/19/2021 at 5:01 PM, Isaac M said:

Update on the 40 Breeder Riparium, finally removed my canister filter that I did not service often enough to the point that it had very little flow. And apparently it also housed a colony of red cherry shrimp haha

I am now down to only sponge filters and internal filters in all of my aquariums. My 40 breeder riparium now has minimal filtration in the traditional sense. I am using a nano sponge filter(rated for 5 gallons and up) and a powerhead (with a small coarse filter sponge inside the intake strainer) from the Aquarium Co-op. However, the riparian plants should be more than enough filtration for this aquarium alone. A few days later and everyone is looking more active than before. Pygmy corydoras definitely approve of the flow provided by the powerhead! 

16B7E9BF-9391-45EB-821A-5C0DD3B03FEB.gif.298ab990639369485811e4f3726227e3.gif

This makes me chuckle.

Oh, to be a fish, lol

• Love 1

On 10/21/2021 at 7:26 PM, Isaac M said:

@Torrey right 😂 I work from home 2 days out of the week and my desk is across from this aquarium. All I see is catfish playing while I sit there working 😂 here is a small sample of what I see: 

E03F0CCB-E23A-4F7B-9219-682A62280141.gif.5b30f3b893bfa5eef6737227733fd896.gif

🤣😍🤣

It's probably good that officially I am retired, lol.

If I end up with a tank like that, I will have to let the rest go. I would sit there all day and watch. Those antics are awesome!

[I already spend hours watching the snails and endlers in my spouse's tank. The Big Whale Momma cracks me up!!!]

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

@Torrey the antics are hilarious, I noticed that my corydoras have become much more active once I increased the flow in my aquarium with the aquarium co-op powerhead. 

To add to the fun, I have added another corydoras species to my now 40 Gallon Breeder Corydoras Riparium haha I have added corydoras eques to the group and they fit right in:

BBF70BDD-0C5A-47FC-BB07-FC9C180967CD.gif.df1324f4015d03483925fddb6692e929.gif

Given how grown in my crypts have become, I contacted a LFS about potentially selling them some of my crypts from this aquarium but they said that the plants they get wholesale are cleaner than the ones they usually get from customers. I talked them into letting me send them some photos of the aquarium to see if they are willing to accept my plants, wish me luck everyone! 

• Like 3

Corydora are fabulous fun. I could watch them all day. Good luck on the plants. Some lfs are fussy. I know they pay locals a lot less than they pay their sellers i always think they should be more appreciative of local hobbiest and support them knowing they are supporting their own customers p. Best of luck I think they will be surprised how great yours look. 

• Thanks 1

Thank you @Guppysnail! I heard back from them today and they said they would like to purchase some. I will be selling them 10 plants tomorrow. 

Quick picture of the aquarium after I removed the crpyt purpurea to sell:

A83D56D5-F02C-48CB-8702-D91A6EFC7C69.jpeg.04ce0bbcebcf97dd58e72b1847010a9f.jpeg
A lot more space now in the left side for the corydoras to swim and for me to feed them without all the food getting caught in the leaves. 

Updated picture of the 55 Gallon:

1806F7F9-5A80-4F3B-B49A-EE13AFD1C2F3.jpeg.ca2fe0204078c573414eb34f7f85830e.jpeg

Thinking of adding many more riparian plants to this setup for more color and more of a jungle look. One thing is for sure, nitrates do not stand a chance in this aquarium! Haha 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

I’m so happy for you.  Your plants are well cared for and beautiful. I’m glad they realized how lucky they would be to acquire them. After you posted about the flow and corydora I increased the flow a bit in my Pygmy and panda Cory tanks. They went bonkers playing. They are always active but this made them so happy. Thanks for the great tip! 

Edited by Guppysnail
Typo
  • Thanks 1