Slick_Nick

Hello everyone I have 4 CPDs 1 male and 3 females I really wanted to try to breed them and make more but have never tried breeding fish. I saw them spawning in their main tank that is full of cherry shrimp so I decided to setup a small tank with Christmas moss and bring them in there to spawn for a week and then move them back to their main tank. Well I moved them about 5 days ago and now I’ve noticed some fry popping up in their main tank! I plan to move the adults back to the main tank this weekend but I am gonna get the small fry out first and put them in the small tank I have the adults in now. Would the fry I already have eat the fry that possibly hatch in the next week in the smaller tank I’m going to put them in? I hope I didn’t confuse you all lol 😆 any help is appreciated! I’m feeding hikari first bites for now but have bbs ready for when they are a big bigger! I have a pic of just one but there’s several I’ve seen so far

A9F933B9-AD5A-4D0E-A60C-E6A3A038276A.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

1 hour ago, Dancing Matt said:

It is possible generations of fry will prey on other generations. I haven't specifically about CPD's but i don't know why they wouldn't. If you want to mix generations maybe put in a lot of cover?

Ok good to know I don’t have a 3rd tank available for more babies I guess I’ll just see what happens and plan better for the next time

1 hour ago, Slick_Nick said:

Would the fry I already have eat the fry that possibly hatch in the next week in the smaller tank I’m going to put them in?

I really don't think so. It takes a long time for CPD fry to get large enough to eating anything remotely as large as another freshly hatched fry. With the time gap you're describing I don't think you'll have any trouble at all. At that size they aren't particularly adept hunters either.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Slick_Nick said:

Micro food as in smaller than hikari first bites?

Very possibly. Something like a sera micron or new life spectrum powder. CPD fry are bad at being fish. If sufficiently small food doesn't fall directly in front of their face, they won't eat it.  I can't say that first bites won't work but just watch them closely when you feed them. Maybe be prepared to get something else for them if they don't take to the first bites. If all else fails they have a good shot of surviving by grazing in the older, more mature tank for a while. The newer tank might be a challenge. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mine spawn like crazy without me wanting them too. I have mystery snails and bladder snails in their tank and the fry actually eat the infusoria created by snail waste due to snails very inefficient digestion.  My fry sometimes survive and grow on that because I don’t feed them but they grow then I feel guilty and start feeding them...sigh thank goodness my LFS loves them. 🙂 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Lowells Fish Lab said:

I really don't think so. It takes a long time for CPD fry to get large enough to eating anything remotely as large as another freshly hatched fry. With the time gap you're describing I don't think you'll have any trouble at all. At that size they aren't particularly adept hunters either.

Lowells Fish Lab I appreciate the help I watched them feed this morning and they definitely went for the smallest little bits of dust from the first bites! I didn’t even think about the other tank not being as established for tiny foods for them. The tank they are in now has been up for over a year and a half and the tank I wanted to move them to has been set up just over a month now. I guess as long as they are getting enough to eat from the first bites the less seasoned tank should be okay.

36 minutes ago, Slick_Nick said:

I watched them feed this morning and they definitely went for the smallest little bits of dust from the first bites! 

That's great! You can succeed both ways, either by raising them in an environment full of natural food (for a while) or in a clean setting with controlled feeding. I've had more experience with the second option. 

A challenge when working with prepared foods is that you are kind of forced to overfeed. The way they eat only out of the middle water column means that it takes a hundred food particles raining down around them for every 1-2 they actually eat. Maintaining cleanliness and water quality becomes a challenge.

Whatever methods you use, I think raising any fry that small is an accomplishment!

2 hours ago, Lowells Fish Lab said:

That's great! You can succeed both ways, either by raising them in an environment full of natural food (for a while) or in a clean setting with controlled feeding. I've had more experience with the second option. 

A challenge when working with prepared foods is that you are kind of forced to overfeed. The way they eat only out of the middle water column means that it takes a hundred food particles raining down around them for every 1-2 they actually eat. Maintaining cleanliness and water quality becomes a challenge.

Whatever methods you use, I think raising any fry that small is an accomplishment!

You’re right I’ve noticed there’s lots of uneaten food! In the main tank there’s hundreds of shrimp to help clean it up but in the smaller tank they are going in there’s no clean up crew because I didn’t want anything to interfere with the eggs. I will definitely increase my water changes in the smaller tank! I’m looking forward to when they can eat bbs! 

I find micro worms are a good starter with an odd sprinkle of first bites. I keep them in a 5 gallon with a few cherry shrimp to do some housekeeping. Having some live plants helps a lot when they're tiny. 

As for them eating smaller fry I'd say you have at least a month before you need to worry about the first spawn being big enough so you can get a good amount of fry going in the same tank

5 hours ago, Mr Gumby said:

I find micro worms are a good starter with an odd sprinkle of first bites. I keep them in a 5 gallon with a few cherry shrimp to do some housekeeping. Having some live plants helps a lot when they're tiny. 

As for them eating smaller fry I'd say you have at least a month before you need to worry about the first spawn being big enough so you can get a good amount of fry going in the same tank

Awesome thanks Mr Gumby I moved them to the smaller tank this morning and the adults back to the main tank. There were 7 fry total that I saw I managed to get 6 of them by siphoning them into a bucket the tank is pretty heavily planted so those were the only ones I could see and get. Between the 6 I have and if anymore pop up in the small tank now that I moved the adults out I will be satisfied! I had 4 adults and wanted more 10 or 12 would be cool! Fingers crossed they survive! Here’s a pic of the main tank it’s just a fluval spec v but the only babies I saw were in the open area. The cpds like to spawn over by the crypt on the right.

44A0D899-BB9E-4604-BB10-69749ADA525C.jpeg

• Like 3

I always thought all the shrimp I had in the display tank would eat the eggs but clearly it’s been the adult cpds the entire time! I was not expecting any babies to pop up in the display tank after I pulled out the adults. I want to put a couple shrimp in the smaller tank to help clean up the moss would it be best to wait and see if more eggs hatch first before putting a couple shrimp in? The Christmas moss I have in there is probably a couple inches thick across the floor I wanted to make sure the eggs would fall down enough

23 hours ago, Slick_Nick said:

Awesome thanks Mr Gumby I moved them to the smaller tank this morning and the adults back to the main tank. There were 7 fry total that I saw I managed to get 6 of them by siphoning them into a bucket the tank is pretty heavily planted so those were the only ones I could see and get. Between the 6 I have and if anymore pop up in the small tank now that I moved the adults out I will be satisfied! I had 4 adults and wanted more 10 or 12 would be cool! Fingers crossed they survive! Here’s a pic of the main tank it’s just a fluval spec v but the only babies I saw were in the open area. The cpds like to spawn over by the crypt on the right.

44A0D899-BB9E-4604-BB10-69749ADA525C.jpeg

Beautiful tank you can also feed your fry interpets liquifry no1 for egg laying fish it also encourages the growth of Infusoria in your tank

Edited by Colu
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Colu said:

Beautiful tank you can also feed your fry interpets liquifry no1 for egg laying fish it also encourages the growth of Infusoria in your tank

Thank you Colu! I’ll have to look into that I’ve only been in the hobby a little over a year so there’s still so much stuff I’ve never heard of lol. That’s why it’s great to ask questions and get opinions to research and check out for yourself!

So I still have the original 6 fry that I transferred into the smaller tank that I had the parents in for a week and today I noticed 4 more fry! They were clung on to the front glass of the aquarium! I scared one when I walked up and he swam off and then landed and stuck to a different part! I’m assuming these are very new babies and I’m going to have several more swimmers here in the next few days! I’m really happy with how things are going I’d love to have a nice group of CPD’s for my main tank!

• Like 1

I’m up to about 20 fry in the tank that I can count! Really happy with how things are going! You can spot the few that are a tiny bit bigger from the original 4 but they are all still tiny! I added a couple cherry shrimp to the tank a while ago to help clean up! Looking forward to getting a bit more size on these guys so I can start feeding live bbs! Hopefully soon I’ll have my own little army of CPD’s

• Like 2

I attempted to get a couple pictures of all the fry. They are in a 2.5 gallon which is cheap plastic and it’s scratched up so I can’t get good pictures of them not to mention the sunlight coming through the windows! Anyways this tank isn’t for show just to raise up these baby cpd I counted about 30 you need to zoom in to really see them all! Once they are bigger I’ll move them into a nicer tank where they will be easier to see! But for now this is great for keeping them corralled for feeding! I put a piece of construction paper behind for one picture to see if it helped but I don’t think it helped!

259D90AC-016C-4C23-BA45-B93249E0B56A.jpeg

AC839B5E-B91F-4722-81D2-54230C6A028D.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, benchilton said:

Great work on this! Really excited for you. A group of CPD's I held briefly spawned, but I could never get the fry eating well. Awesome you've got them to this point!

Thank you benchilton! I’m really excited things are going well! It’s impossible to tell if I’ve lost any at all but from the looks of it they are all surviving. I’ve just been feeding the hikari first bites and they go right for it! Unsure when I should try live bbs I can tell they are still a bit small to eat it as of now.

Quick little update on the CPD fry! They are all doing amazing I still can’t believe how many I have from 1 male and 3 females in a tank for a week! They are growing a bit more the first fry that I found are really starting to get that normal fish shape! I’ve still been feeding the hikari first bites twice a day haven’t tried bbs yet I think most of them may still be too small so I’m gonna give it another week. Here’s a couple more pics! Once again you have to zoom in but you can tell they are getting bigger!28C8058A-2147-48C3-9C6F-EBBF1A765B61.jpeg.c55fe7175bcb465a01dbabcfccd23430.jpeg73A6F93F-7A68-4156-8ECC-1D465D78F081.jpeg.4fde8fd7cc323983bfbd23656af3fe60.jpegF2209693-26F3-45DC-9C67-51FC30D4F597.jpeg.e6f175669eeaf76c84d216953b48080c.jpeg

• Like 3