Slick_Nick

Nice work! I hopefully am following in your footsteps, found fry today for the first time since my first spawn in December (I think my apisto has been eating em). Are you just feeding hikari first bites? Or are you feeding something else as well? I fed vinegar eels and coop fry food today, will have live baby brine Monday morning for em.

• Thanks 1

On 6/12/2021 at 10:44 PM, Steph’s Fish and Plants said:

Nice work! I hopefully am following in your footsteps, found fry today for the first time since my first spawn in December (I think my apisto has been eating em). Are you just feeding hikari first bites? Or are you feeding something else as well? I fed vinegar eels and coop fry food today, will have live baby brine Monday morning for em.

Awesome congratulations!! I imagine your Apisto is definitely eating them! What type of Apisto? I have a male Borellii he’s a little over an inch long still pretty young. I have only been feeding hikari first bites for the cpd fry and it seems to be doing the trick! Is the co op fry food powder as well? 

On 6/13/2021 at 1:51 AM, Slick_Nick said:

Awesome congratulations!! I imagine your Apisto is definitely eating them! What type of Apisto? I have a male Borellii he’s a little over an inch long still pretty young. I have only been feeding hikari first bites for the cpd fry and it seems to be doing the trick! Is the co op fry food powder as well? 

My apisto is a male hongsloi. I was gonna try and get a female but today I’m likely gonna grab a pair of viejita and swap em out essentially once the pair is through my QT. 

yes the coop food is a fine powder as well, I like it better than first bites bc first bites are a pain to feed, and the fry food comes in a squeeze bottle so it’s super easy. I am gonna feed first bites as well tho.

• Like 1

On 6/13/2021 at 6:32 AM, Steph’s Fish and Plants said:

My apisto is a male hongsloi. I was gonna try and get a female but today I’m likely gonna grab a pair of viejita and swap em out essentially once the pair is through my QT. 

yes the coop food is a fine powder as well, I like it better than first bites bc first bites are a pain to feed, and the fry food comes in a squeeze bottle so it’s super easy. I am gonna feed first bites as well tho.

Very cool! I thought about getting a female for mine as well but I don’t think I’m prepared for Apisto fry yet! The trick I use when feeding first bites is just sticking my finger into the pouch of powder and when you pull your finger out some usually sticks to it and then I just stick my finger down into the water a little ways and then I give my finger a wiggle and it helps get the powder around the tank. You just have to stick your finger down enough in the water otherwise the powder just sits on the surface of the water! Hopefully that helps. 

On 6/18/2021 at 10:41 AM, Mr Gumby said:

Looking good, I've just set up another tank in my shed with 2 males and 4 females. Just want to see how they get on with just a sponge filter and sunlight. 

Thanks Mr Gumby! Very cool I hope things go good for you! I just put a good clump of Christmas moss across the bottom and it seemed to keep the parents away from all the eggs until you remove them or the adults which I found easier. Were your cpds already showing spawning behavior in their previous tank? I think that was another reason I was this successful. 

Since they reached maturity its more a case of spotting when they're not showing spawning behaviour. They are the sex pests of the aquarium world lol. 

I'm going to give the adults a week to settle in and feeding lots of frozen foods to beef them up. Then give them another week to drop some eggs then the adults will come out

• Like 3

On 6/18/2021 at 11:18 AM, Mr Gumby said:

Since they reached maturity its more a case of spotting when they're not showing spawning behaviour. They are the sex pests of the aquarium world lol. 

I'm going to give the adults a week to settle in and feeding lots of frozen foods to beef them up. Then give them another week to drop some eggs then the adults will come out

hahaha well let me know how it goes! What size tank are you doing it in?

Very cool, thanks you for the updates! 

I'm hoping for some breeding success with my small school I got recently. They are really small and still eating Aquarium Coop easy fry.

I have not seen this personally, but I have heard that neos will not eat eggs unless they are bad or nonviable. I have also heard that they will sometimes clean them.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2021 at 1:27 PM, Griznatch said:

Very cool, thanks you for the updates! 

I'm hoping for some breeding success with my small school I got recently. They are really small and still eating Aquarium Coop easy fry.

I have not seen this personally, but I have heard that neos will not eat eggs unless they are bad or nonviable. I have also heard that they will sometimes clean them.

No problem Griznatch! Just give them some time and feed them good! Interesting about the shrimp! I can’t say whether that’s true or not but sounds like it could be! Next time I’ll have to try and breed them in the tank full of shrimp and see how many babies I get! 

• Like 1

I fed live bbs the past two mornings and they loved it! All of them had full orange bellies. I can tell they are starting to really grow now! Any ideas on how long I should keep them in this little 2.5 gallon before moving them to something bigger? I looked back in my pictures and the first fry I found was may 26th so almost a month ago. Most of the fry are about a week younger than that. It’s hard to see the ones hanging out in front of the dragon stone they blend in well but the ones just above it you can tell are putting on some size.402C8144-0A35-4467-B7B3-6E836CBDDC10.jpeg.7fdb6fdb41640774246d02753b377acf.jpeg45DC6EED-A8A5-4B9F-8DFD-A2F68F257F16.jpeg.c3e6673d66d103cb34f4e67951e6c9b2.jpeg6491A8B3-2F8B-4F85-B59B-023889CBC736.jpeg.220b2f4c5c26903d7396c2792c2d482a.jpegD09CB01C-67AF-418B-9E70-260C98E629D4.jpeg.4b5a6056a80ed5e02b9d36baca2d256e.jpeg

• Love 1

I was doing a water change this morning and got a couple closer up pictures of a couple of the cpd fry so it’s not the same boring pictures of specks lol. I’m about 99% sure they are all still alive! The light in the tank is terrible for taking pictures but it allows me to keep the lights on longer for them. I’m currently setting up a 29 gallon aquarium that they will all go into once they get bigger. The second photo the one has a blue sheen unsure if he actually looks like that or what!FD0A48CB-934D-4AF9-A221-7E024328E322.jpeg.b1aeb241dc24c38ddd9ee59b395537ac.jpeg3F751CCA-FF4A-4B04-AF34-B027FC1C5A17.jpeg.931d53f44eba6130f72d23414ab7cf6a.jpeg24FBCCF9-D4ED-4D75-A600-08E385F34F6A.jpeg.237f491ed0fa58b15af8ee8ff908327f.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 6/27/2021 at 6:59 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

So cute! Looking forward to grabbing some this fall and making it my breeding project for the winter! 

I definitely recommend trying to breed them! Other than cherry shrimp this is the only other thing I’ve tried to breed and it was easier than I had expected! I’m looking forward to have my own group that I raised myself!

• Like 2

On 6/27/2021 at 8:13 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Slick_Nick I see the different mosses you use and some Ludwigia as well. Any other plants you’d recommend or would avoid? Also what substrate would you recommend?

To be honest I used tropica substrate because that’s what I had on hand but it was a waste because I just glued Christmas moss to rocks and stuck them on the substrate! I do like the planted tank substrate because I believe it buffers your ph down if I’m not mistaken and I moved the fish from another tank that’s fully planted with aqua soil so I wanted to have their parameters be the same. The Ludwigia I just trimmed from another aquarium and floated to help with water quality since they are in such a small aquarium. I would recommend the moss for breeding you want a nice thick area for the eggs to fall into so the parents don’t eat them and maybe just some sort of floating plant that’s fast growing to help keep the water clean.

On 6/27/2021 at 9:10 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Slick_Nickhave you seen some of the air driven setups that pull the eggs up to a bin at the surface? I’m not sure if it’s worth it when I’m not sure I really want to breed that kind of qty. 

I actually have seen something like that but seems like more work initially to set that up. All I did was feed live and frozen bbs to my 4 adult cpds in their main tank for about a week and fattened them up it was 1 male and 3 females and then I moved them to a 2.5 gallon with the moss and continued to feed live and frozen bbs for a week then I moved the adults back to their main tank and within the next week I had babies popping up like crazy! I have about 30. It’s entirely up to you which way you wanna do it I’m sure they all work I just haven’t tried any other way to know what’s best! 

On 6/28/2021 at 5:41 AM, BriannesFishFam said:

How did you breed them? A mop? How do you tell male from female?

All I did to breed them was make sure they were nice and plump with frozen and live brine shrimp and then moved them into a smaller aquarium with a bunch of Christmas moss covering the bottom for them to lay eggs in. I fed them live and frozen brine shrimp for a week in the small tank and after the week I moved them back to their main tank. Within days babies started popping up in the small tank. I ended up with about 30 fry. I feed hikari first bites powder food and just recently started adding in bbs now that they are big enough! A trick that may help is I already saw spawning behavior from them in the main tank so I knew they were ready to breed! I’ll post a couple pictures when I had 2 males and 3 females the males are much darker and more vibrant reds the females are lighter and have a black dot down by their anal fin that the males don’t have. I’m the first photo males are farthest left and top left others are females second photo again darker ones are male lighter ones are females hope this helps!639AB814-520A-4F92-A1AA-EEA49DD1376E.jpeg.18cd08c8328eedb691d882075c358393.jpegA6550D47-7A15-4781-9B9D-C7C106C995CE.jpeg.96290b10c402e9cbeff3050e727d5a7c.jpeg