Joe’s Notropis chrosomus Breeding Attempts

JoefishGofish

So the 1 month age is the youngest you want outside? @WhitecloudDynasty

I’ll wait a few more weeks and then move some out.  They’ll likely double in size by then.

The couple of fry that are 3 months old seem to grow really quickly. So it will be fun to watch a bunch of shiners grow!

I’m not sure about overwintering due to the temps up here. My White Clouds didn’t make it overwintering a few years ago.....but that’s a topic for 6 months from now!!

25 minutes ago, JoefishGofish said:

So the 1 month age is the youngest you want outside? @WhitecloudDynasty

I’ll wait a few more weeks and then move some out.  They’ll likely double in size by then.

The couple of fry that are 3 months old seem to grow really quickly. So it will be fun to watch a bunch of shiners grow!

I’m not sure about overwintering due to the temps up here. My White Clouds didn’t make it overwintering a few years ago.....but that’s a topic for 6 months from now!!

They are pretty fragile, if you can move them without netting them I'm sure you can move them earlier.

My shiner over winter every year since I don't have enough space for the numbers. It does freeze over, and I'll treat them like koi 

0EB1F071-B587-466A-86F3-B8F57BDF9A0C.jpeg.bf87e26f555342ac522dc14b6ebc1df7.jpegI just put approximately 50 fry in my 75 gallon panted tank. No predators.  Easy transition. They look happy and are chasing BBS. 
There’s still a conservative 100 fry in the little tank. And another 50 fry from the most recent spawn just becoming free swimmers. 
I’m very happy. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, JoefishGofish said:

0EB1F071-B587-466A-86F3-B8F57BDF9A0C.jpeg.bf87e26f555342ac522dc14b6ebc1df7.jpegI just put approximately 50 fry in my 75 gallon panted tank. No predators.  Easy transition. They look happy and are chasing BBS. 
There’s still a conservative 100 fry in the little tank. And another 50 fry from the most recent spawn just becoming free swimmers. 
I’m very happy. 

Wow you are doing better than me lol!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Never had this happen before,.... doing a heavy water change with rain barrel water, and all my males went to one end of the tank amd the females to the opposite. And the males really started to jockey for position in the group. 

interesting behaviour

• Like 1

So they had a “lite” spawning 3 days ago and I collected only 50 eggs.  
This morning they were actively spawning in the corner of the aquarium and I had not put the spawning try in. 

I quickly placed it in the usual spot and immediately the orgy erupted.
Seriously. 

5280FA04-FBAD-4DC4-9FF0-DF29750F7708.jpeg.eb041ff3dc6534dbea43caefb9a9c415.jpeg4D03C763-6370-40D3-AF55-668637DDF3E3.jpeg.408d0a9bc46319a4e36771f1b1bf1579.jpeg932A56DD-DD66-49F4-9E19-301D7F8B35DE.jpeg.5b44437eca11d2dcc84214d72c82e082.jpeg

All the females seem to be dropping eggs this time. 
It might be a big spawn. 
The aquarium is up to 77F. And the days are longer so there is some natural light seeping into the basement. 
I guess it’s spawning season!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Love 1

So. You tell me.....there’s a lot of eggs this harvest. 
And not a long spawn like in the winter months.  They likely started before I woke up, but we’re done by 4:00pm.  So an 8-10 hour spawn vs 24-36 hours in the colder temps of winter. 
Interesting and successful. 
6342A10A-F0A1-4F30-BD56-2D76CE2D147D.jpeg.ec7fe199059187b2c6913ccb81e62aac.jpegThe catch container that I made6A7ED3D8-B96E-409C-B8EA-FC2FDA892E08.jpeg.5763624f551a80cdbde9fbec95bf8044.jpegUnder the rocks is two lids to create a separation from the rocks and grid floor. 
which also catch acid contain the eggs  3FFAD7C3-B9A5-41D1-AD8B-419156ACC7A7.jpeg.695def924ee68e7e8610327be0bf6da6.jpeg

when I dumped all the eggs into the 2.5G hatching tank.  750-1,000 eggs. 
Crazy.  Is my math wrong? Zoom in...F87CD758-D3ED-45EE-A040-D63E48294373.jpeg.60dd9827645cdd4e6f3b3456c5d50208.jpeg

Methylene Blue added to the water. 
2 drops will by changed out in 4-6 hours (before bed...!). And again 1st thing in the morning. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

@WhitecloudDynastyi think you’re likely the most experienced Shiner breeder on this group chat......

How frequent is the spawning activity when the summer temps set in?

For me in the winter (60-68F) approx every 14 days. 
Right now (78F) they look like they wanna go at it every few days?

If I just let them spawn out in the open and not collect eggs, does that change their patterns or behaviour?

Theyll be getting lots of protein by eating their own eggs!

38 minutes ago, JoefishGofish said:

@WhitecloudDynastyi think you’re likely the most experienced Shiner breeder on this group chat......

How frequent is the spawning activity when the summer temps set in?

For me in the winter (60-68F) approx every 14 days. 
Right now (78F) they look like they wanna go at it every few days?

If I just let them spawn out in the open and not collect eggs, does that change their patterns or behaviour?

Theyll be getting lots of protein by eating their own eggs!

Yes they pick up alot of protein eating their eggs.

It's normally  about 7-14 days apart before female wants to lay again, it looks like every few days now cause not all female are dropping eggs together. 

I haven't noticed and different from winter and summer months, in the wild itll be base on how much protein they can pickup. Mine can breed year round with the right supplement. Vitamin E for males, and vitamin B6,B12 for the females.

I can't speak for the rainbow since they aren't native to my state, but their cousin the greenhead, here still breed when the water gets down to 20-35f degree. I'll check the stream early winter and the greenhead still firing up and I still see frys. I'm sure they do breed less, and produce less eggs. 

• Like 1

That’s awesome.  True stock tanks. My outdoor ponds are ornamental in the landscape and really challenging to net the fish once they’re in. 
Once they’re outside, they may be outside for good.  Those shiners are lightening fast!

Great mosquito control!!

@WhitecloudDynasty what size are you tanks for you Shiner breeding setup?

ive watched your YouTube videos but I missed you saying it.   10 gallon?

And how long are you growing them out in those tanks?

Im going to run out of space and I can’t add tiny fry to tanks with larger fish, they need the safety of their own tanks to grow out. 

On 6/16/2021 at 10:59 AM, JoefishGofish said:

@WhitecloudDynasty what size are you tanks for you Shiner breeding setup?

ive watched your YouTube videos but I missed you saying it.   10 gallon?

And how long are you growing them out in those tanks?

Im going to run out of space and I can’t add tiny fry to tanks with larger fish, they need the safety of their own tanks to grow out. 

I spawn my breeder in a 20long, but all my fry grow out in a 10.. I like 10 cause it keeps them closer to each other and closer to the food. 2 bucket is 100% water change. I keep them in there till I can't keep up with the water changes. 

I raise them in there till they can take .2mm pellets, then I'll move them outside.

I feed them powder food/ bbs, then .1mm pellets, then .2mm pellets. When they are eating .2mm pellets really good they either get crush flakes or my main mix of .5mm pellets

Edited by WhitecloudDynasty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@WhitecloudDynastyyou said earlier that your ponds freeze over during winter and the Shiners do ok?

What about your White Clouds?

My ponds currently have some 1-2 year old White Clouds from inside, and 1 month old Shiner fry.  
Wondering how they’ll all do overwintering with freezing temps. 

this could be a discussion for the fall LOL….?