Joe’s Notropis chrosomus Breeding Attempts

JoefishGofish

Rain water has some tannins in it. 
Good rough water changes. No clumping so far. 
Eggs look good. Some of the unfertilized ones have dissolved and the good ones have some wiggly fry inside. 
Either by end of day today or morning tomorrow I’ll add them to the grow out tank. 27BBF990-626D-4C34-9EAA-FFED2A0277F6.jpeg.6e51c7a2dedc0fde9289419a43506f90.jpeg

• Like 2

What I need to do is go away for a week. All I want to do is shine a light, disturb the water, poke and bother these fry to check their progress. 
There’s a lot. 
I’m excited.  Nicely spread out across the bottom of the tank. Incredibly evenly spaced.  Likely from wiggling and creating space between. 
Still no eyes (I think).  Hard to say without a bright light
Im trying to be patient......

• Like 2

7 hours ago, JoefishGofish said:

What I need to do is go away for a week. All I want to do is shine a light, disturb the water, poke and bother these fry to check their progress. 
There’s a lot. 
I’m excited.  Nicely spread out across the bottom of the tank. Incredibly evenly spaced.  Likely from wiggling and creating space between. 
Still no eyes (I think).  Hard to say without a bright light. 
Im trying to be patient......

Don't stress them too much. You'll start seeing some free swimming then one day all of them free swimming lol 

• Like 1

Definitely trying not to stress them. I haven’t bothered them other than aging a light briefly a couple of times. They look good this morning too. 
There is a bit of detritus on the bottom of the tank from the water lettuce up top. The fry are hidden somewhat among it. 
I’m thinking tomorrow (day 8 or Saturday (day 9) there should be some swimming activity. 
Thanks for the tips. 

Woke up this morning excited to see what the activity would be in the fry tank......no fry anywhere. 
Got a light out and searched. The floor of the tank was bare. 
I have a mat sponge filter in this tank and it must not be seated tightly at the bottom.  All the fry had scooted under it and were hiding on the filter side which is only 1” wide gap. 
They congregated in the absolute darkest place.  So I raised the sponge mat up to have a better look. 
There’s still a lot. Many pairs of Black eyes against the silicone is neat to see. 
So far so great!

I placed some subwassertang to provide some hiding places. 

• Like 2

This morning the fry are now up off the bottoms and swimming!
This is Day #12 since the spawn. 
Easily 80-100.  They look so good!

Hanging out in a patch of light where there is a gap in the surface plants.

not sure if they’ll eat powder yet but I’ll let you know  

Thanks for everyone’s help and support. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, JoefishGofish said:

Wondering about growing out fry in the pond.  How old should they be before putting them out?

The only other fish in there are Gold White Clouds.....

All of my 1 month old are in ponds right now, they will grow out and over winter in them till next year. 

• Like 1