Joe’s Notropis chrosomus Breeding Attempts

JoefishGofish

On 1/24/2022 at 12:22 PM, JoefishGofish said:

How many males were in with her for the spawning?

I find it nearly impossible to catch my individuals. My tanks are too large. 75g

Just 1 male

Thats one reason I breed them in a 20long. Easy to catch and just enough room, too big of an aquarium and they may spawn somewhere else, too small the female may get hassle too much.

It’s been no problem collecting the eggs, rather, there’s enough to work with.  
They seem to only spawn on the rocks I place in the tank at the time of colour change. 
Fry have not been reintroduced to the breeding population yet so there’s no been no breeding yet. 
Eventually I’d need to introduce new bloodlines, yes?

we may need to set up a trade?

I’ll try catching one male and one fat female sometime to see how that works. 
Interesting to compare the numbers of eggs that actually get collected vs. all the eggs that get eaten during the group spawn!!

On 1/24/2022 at 5:43 PM, JoefishGofish said:

It’s been no problem collecting the eggs, rather, there’s enough to work with.  
They seem to only spawn on the rocks I place in the tank at the time of colour change. 
Fry have not been reintroduced to the breeding population yet so there’s no been no breeding yet. 
Eventually I’d need to introduce new bloodlines, yes?

we may need to set up a trade?

I’ll try catching one male and one fat female sometime to see how that works. 
Interesting to compare the numbers of eggs that actually get collected vs. all the eggs that get eaten during the group spawn!!

I wouldn't worry about inbred til a few year since you breed in big group. Who know who bred with who, half brother to aunt, half brother to half sister..ect that's the pro in breeding large group. You'll lose alot of eggs in big group, to many mouth everywhere lol

With pair you'll get more eggs per fish and you get to line breed what you want. My larger set so far was from 2 pair at 500ish fry

So I’ve selected 1 nice female and 1 nice male and have placed them in a 10 gallon with a container with rocks. 

@WhitecloudDynastyDo you recommend darkening the tank?

They we’re starting to fire up when I selected them.  Now they are hiding. 

I’m hoping they are just adjusting and will get back in the tonight or tomorrow. 

Edited by JoefishGofish
Typo

On 1/26/2022 at 2:13 PM, JoefishGofish said:

So I’ve selected 1 nice female and 1 nice male and have placed them in a 10 gallon with a container with rocks. 

@WhitecloudDynastyDo you recommend darkening the tank?

They we’re starting to fire up when I selected them.  Now they are hiding. 

I’m hoping they are just adjusting and will get back in the tonight or tomorrow. 

I normally place them in at night so when they wake up they aren't so freak out

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2022 at 1:36 PM, WhitecloudDynasty said:

Just 1 male

Thats one reason I breed them in a 20long. Easy to catch and just enough room, too big of an aquarium and they may spawn somewhere else, too small the female may get hassle too much.

So I moved 1 male and 2 fat females into a 5 gallon hoping to breed them.  The male ended up in a potted plant next to the tank a few days later. I don’t have lids on my tanks and clearly a 5 gallon is too small for those adult fish. Too bad. 

• Sad 2

On 2/10/2022 at 9:01 AM, JoefishGofish said:

So I moved 1 male and 2 fat females into a 5 gallon hoping to breed them.  The male ended up in a potted plant next to the tank a few days later. I don’t have lids on my tanks and clearly a 5 gallon is too small for those adult fish. Too bad. 

Yes Even with pair I use a 29long...you got to keep them happy

On 2/11/2022 at 7:47 AM, JoefishGofish said:

Another point of interest is how temperature affects growth rates of fry. 
At 70F+ from egg to swimming is consistently 10-13 days. 
My tanks are at 63F and the fry took 20 days fully swim and that doesn’t include them all. Many are still laying low in the bottom. 

Thats so weird...I'm at 65degree now and it's still 8-9days before freeswimming. 

I do drop the water lv halfway and have a tight lid. Maybe they are picking up warmer air at the surface quicker?

On 2/13/2022 at 12:00 PM, JoefishGofish said:

I may have the airstone on too high. Perhaps It’s creating current and causing the fry to fight it. 
I’ll lower the water level too. I was keeping it full to the top thinking the more clean water in the tank the less chance of it going cloudy. 

Lower the water lv would help, they can get up and get air with less work, plus less water pressure on the newborn fry. Most of the time they breed in a few inches of water

• Love 1