Accidental Breeding of Otocinclus!

xXInkedPhoenixX

@Gator nope, the adult Otos will leave them alone, they should be fine. I've seen zero aggression from parent to baby either translucent or young juvenile.

Speaking of which, I released Generation 2 into the general population of the 10 gallon grow out (see pic, empty large breeder). I've found 2 deceased in the last 2 days in the large breeder and I believe it's more from blunt force trauma than anything else- It was getting to be like a mosh pit in there. Hopefully there will be no more losses. @gardenman I did end up using a turkey baster to remove a couple of the smaller ones that I was concerned about being in gen pop. I was still nervous about using it but it does work. I've put a piece of cucumber in with a veggie clip both there and the parent tank, not too many takers so far but will repeat the process every 24hrs to see if I can develop a habit with them. 

I'm having issues with detrius worms due to some new plants- despite having dipped and quarantined them they are all over the 10 gallon grow out. I know they're not a "problem" per se but I'm pretty miffed about it. Had to take the sponge pre-filter off the HOB and modify a piece of fishnet stocking with a rubberband to better filter the tank and take most of those obnoxious worms with it but no baby Otos. I think it's a good thing that it's a bare bottom tank.

Haven't seen momma fish up near her spot- granted I've uprooted the tank and rearranged stuff (not her spot though- in fact now it's more protected). Since I got more substrate I also decided to move pots again it was disrupted twice in 2 days (wood looking pot move to top of "pyramid"). I'm hoping she's goiing to take a break for a while- and if she gave up entirely I'd be ok with that too to be honest. It's been cool but I'm starting to get sad I have to give up my babies. This is one of many reasons I didn't want breeding fish 

Resized_20210504_132126.jpg

Resized_20210505_114707.jpg

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX

40 minutes ago, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

@Gator nope, the adult Otos will leave them alone, they should be fine. I've seen zero aggression from parent to baby either translucent or young juvenile.

Speaking of which, I released Generation 2 into the general population of the 10 gallon grow out (see pic, empty large breeder). I've found 2 deceased in the last 2 days in the large breeder and I believe it's more from blunt force trauma than anything else- It was getting to be like a mosh pit in there. Hopefully there will be no more losses. @gardenman I did end up using a turkey baster to remove a couple of the smaller ones that I was concerned about being in gen pop. I was still nervous about using it but it does work. I've put a piece of cucumber in with a veggie clip both there and the parent tank, not too many takers so far but will repeat the process every 24hrs to see if I can develop a habit with them. 

I'm having issues with detrius worms due to some new plants- despite having dipped and quarantined them they are all over the 10 gallon grow out. I know they're not a "problem" per se but I'm pretty miffed about it. Had to take the sponge pre-filter off the HOB and modify a piece of fishnet stocking with a rubberband to better filter the tank and take most of those obnoxious worms with it but no baby Otos. I think it's a good thing that it's a bare bottom tank.

Haven't seen momma fish up near her spot- granted I've uprooted the tank and rearranged stuff (not her spot though- in fact now it's more protected). Since I got more substrate I also decided to move pots again it was disrupted twice in 2 days (wood looking pot move to top of "pyramid"). I'm hoping she's goiing to take a break for a while- and if she gave up entirely I'd be ok with that too to be honest. It's been cool but I'm starting to get sad I have to give up my babies. This is one of many reasons I didn't want breeding fish 

Resized_20210504_132126.jpg

Resized_20210505_114707.jpg

I like the Buddha, He adds serenity. I have a much larger Buddha that looks like yours only mine is grey. Now I'm thinking about adding my Buddha statue to my 29G to see what He may look like in my tank.

Then again I've got a 29G cube tank that I've already painted a mirror finish on the back. I'm thinking of using pool filter sand as a substrate, river rock landscaping stones to build a wall to hide a sponge filter, heater, digital thermometer probe, and a box filter that only has peat pellets in it. The mirror finish allows me to see behind plants and objects, but also makes the tank look bigger.

I plan to only have one or two plants, a rather large Amazon Sword and/or a Hygrophila Difformis, I like the way this plant looks when it branches out. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks @Gator. I wanted when I orginally started the tank to have something zen in it- so I had a large temple (which could be seen near the beginning of this thread). I liked the look but because ultimately it took up a lot of real estate and the fish didn't use it I pulled it out when the Otos started breeding. I wanted to add more plants anyway so that gave me a good amount of space to work with but not a lot of room for any of my other zen statuary. So, when I saw the tiny Buddha I had to get him. He's grey, but so light he really is more white than anything, hoping he gets a nice patina on him with some green or brown (though the Otos are keeping the tank super clean so very little chance of that happening). I would like to see pictures of your tanks you start your own thread yet?

• Like 1

xXInkedPhoenixX, I've decided not to put my Buddha in a tank, He's nestled among an artificial flower arrangement on the top shelf of a steel shelving system and it just feels like He belongs there, but I'm going to start looking for another one, maybe smaller.

I had a working cell phone until 4-24 when the battery died. On 4-26 I called the company from my landline to request a replacement and I expected to have to pay for it. It turned out that I'd had my cell phone for almost 4 years and the replacement would be free, I liked that. My new cell phone arrived on 4-28 so I call them to activate the phone, still no fee. I called 4 times on 4-28 to get this phone activated, 3 on 4-29, and once on 4-30. A friend pointed out to me that they had sent me a 4G cell phone with a 5G SIM card and there is no 5G network anywhere in WV ( yeah, WV has always been 20 to 30 years behind the rest of the country). I called them back on 5-3 and after a great deal of discussion that led me to ask to speak to a supervisor to request a 4G SIM card for this phone. I hoped that it would have arrived today but maybe tomorrow.

I lived in Japan for 3 yrs when I was younger and I was taught the concept of Feng Shui, the arrangement of buildings, trees, and roadways in order to allow the dragon direct, straight-line access to the ocean. I've never gotten it right, but it seems as if you've got it down pat.

I lived in Florida off and on for 44 years; first in Shalimar which at the time was all swamp and pretty much still is, then in Fort Walton Beach, then Jacksonville, then Tampa (hated it), then spent 24 years in Orlando. I can tell you things about Florida that will make you say "Wow," "No way," "That's spooky," or "Really."

Tell your friend that in 1850, the Everglades extended as far north as Michigan Street in Orlando and included all of the Kissimmee River lakes, all of the Boggy Creek lakes which covered all of Orlando International Airport, all of the Shingle Creek lakes which covered Universal Studios, all of I-Drive, and all of Sea World, but also included all of the Reedy Creek lakes which covered most of Disney World.

I thought you may like this little bit of Florida history and I've got more, and most of it is just as surprising.

Your tank looks great, keep up the good work.

@Gator frankly sometimes I wish we had a lot less technology. In order to avoid things like your phone debacle. 

I like organized chaos with an eye of the storm so to speak- I guess in this tank it's Buddha, for some reason I felt like he needed to be in there. Like my tanks my house is very much that style- but everyone who enters seems fascinated and loves it. I have a couple of bonsai. Teacher always said take the best of inspiration but never copy, they cannot speak but they tell you things. It's not just a bonsai philosophy. 

...and thanks for that bit of FL history... 🙂 

• Like 1

@the other Irene Yes, I'd agree, it's been neat to raise them, I don't like the "giving away, selling, trading" part of the whole thing. I had that problem with I fostered shelter animals. Little crack in my heart every time. I've not seen Repashy in any of the stores I've been in, I'll have to look harder. 

Short update. So Generation 1, of which there are 24 (or at least when I was able to record their numbers in the breeder and having had 1 pass in the sponge intake cover for the HOB (that issue now resolved with a bit of fishnet stocking as the BETTER pre-filter- go figure). Generation 2 joined them this week of which there are 29. Most of Gen1 is reaching about an inch or just under at 2 months and 1 day old (from the 1st one found). Most of Gen2 is under the half inch mark but because there ARE 29 they were mosh pitting quite a bit in there and I had some casualties likely because of it as nobody appears to be sick otherwise, they are all now 1 month and 2 days old (from the 1st one found). There are 6 of generation 3,  1 of which was found today past the translucent stage so that little one made it during my overhaul of the tank and escaped Rasbora mouths for at least 3-4 days. 

Their tank with the new light is now 80 to nearly 82 degrees during the peak of the day (no heater) and down to 77-78 at night. The dimmer switch I got for the light actually messes with the connection so I'm going full power on the light right now and since that might hel algae growth I'm going to go with it and see how the plants and animals do. 

I have been putting a large slice of cucumber on a veggie clip in both the parent tank and the Romper Room grow out. No takers in the parent tank that I've observed- but the cucumber in the grow out tank from yesterday had bits floating at the top leading me to believe they made a good dent in it last night. I did their daily water change today and put in a nice new chunk of cucumber and got a pic of a small gang chowing down about an hour after it was put in there. I'll include a couple pics. 

Resized_20210506_130723.jpg

Resized_20210506_130717.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

xXInkedPhoenixX; still no SIM card as of today, maybe tomorrow, if not tomorrow, I'll call them as a not so happy camper.

A friend was over today, we got to talking about my plans for the 29G cube tank I believe I'd mentioned to you before, he said that it is a 30G high (H). I got my trusted 25 feet measuring tape, measured the inside of the tank and asked him to write down these numbers; 19.5 inches long, 17.5 inches wide, and 18 inches high. I handed him a trusted calculator and asked him to multiply those numbers and when he had, I asked him to divide his total by 231, the number of cubic inches in a gallon. His answer was 26.5 gallons. 

He was surprised so I told him that marketers will over rate the number of gallons so the savvy buyer who knows water weighs 8.3 pounds per gallon and the substrate, heater, filter, plants, and decorations also add weight will figure that raises the weight to 12 pounds per gallon so you'll know to have a very sturdy stand. The marketed rating is also good to know in the event you'll ever need to medicate the tank so the medicine will not only treat the fish, but also the substrate, plants, and decorations. He seemed satisfied with my explanation. He's had aquariums before so I'm surprised he didn't already know this, but from this day forward I will refer to this tank as a 29GH.

My plan for this tank is to cut a piece of poster board to the inside dimensions I mentioned. I've got access to several tons of river rock like that is used for walkways and landscaping that I can start arranging on that poster board and super gluing together. I want to make an enclosure to hide a sponge filter in one corner, hide a box filter with peat pellets in the other corner, to hide a heater in the middle, and open at the top of each to remove and clean them when needed.

I'll put the river rock in the tank, add 3 inches of pool filter sand inside the spaces behind the river rock and add 3 inches of  the pool filter sand in the rest of the tank. I'll plant a rather large Amazon sword in the center, a Hygrophila difformis in front of the rock where the box filter is, and a Buddha in front of the Amazon sword so it may seem similar to Buddha sitting under a Banyon tree.

The sponge filter is already cycled so I'm good to go there, but I'm going to let the tank sit with water in it and the filter running for several weeks anyway so I can start a healthy growth of algae before adding Oto's, they're going to be the only fish in this tank. I may even go so far as adding Algae wafers and leaving the light on for a longer period to jumpstart the algae seeding process.

I pulled out 2 books that I've had for many years, one is "Exotic Aquarium Fishes" by Dr. William T. Innes and the other is "Exotic Tropical Fishes" by Herbert Axelrod and others. I bought the first book at a yard sale in 1970 for $1 and I didn't know that it is a collectors item, even then, until 2010, now it's worth hundreds of thousands, if not millions, more. I bought the second book at a fish store in 1984 for $20 which angered my ex-wife, but she's no longer in the picture.

I pulled them out because I wanted to find out what information was known about Oto's back in the day, as they say.

In the first book there was very little information, only the Oto affinis is mentioned and that only one person had bred them, they weren't commercially bred at the time, so every one sold in fish stores were wild caught, but I've only seen them just in the past few years.

In the second book, three Oto's are mentioned, the Affinis, the Arnoldi, and the Vittatus, and the Vittatus is the only one of the three that had not been bred either in the home aquarium or commercially. 

We have to remember that the first book was copyrighted in 1966 and the second book was copyrighted in1981 and a great deal was learned in those 15 years so I'm sure that much more has been learned since.

I'll keep you posted about the progress of this 29H and hopefully I'll get the SIM card mess straightened out so I can send you some photos'.

It's 8:30 PM here so it's 5:30 PM on the West coast and you're fixing supper.

Ciao

Gator

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 1:52 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I had that problem with I fostered shelter animals. Little crack in my heart every time.

I definitely bawled the first time my foster kittens went back to the shelter. But by the time litter number six left, I was just happy to get a break. 😆 It’s very weird releasing the little creatures you’ve cared for out into the world. I’m lucky that one of the last kittens was adopted by a friend and I get to follow her on Instagram.

The baby otos are looking great!!

On 5/5/2021 at 10:50 PM, Gator said:

xXInkedPhoenixX, I've decided not to put my Buddha in a tank, He's nestled among an artificial flower arrangement on the top shelf of a steel shelving system and it just feels like He belongs there, but I'm going to start looking for another one, maybe smaller.

I had a working cell phone until 4-24 when the battery died. On 4-26 I called the company from my landline to request a replacement and I expected to have to pay for it. It turned out that I'd had my cell phone for almost 4 years and the replacement would be free, I liked that. My new cell phone arrived on 4-28 so I call them to activate the phone, still no fee. I called 4 times on 4-28 to get this phone activated, 3 on 4-29, and once on 4-30. A friend pointed out to me that they had sent me a 4G cell phone with a 5G SIM card and there is no 5G network anywhere in WV ( yeah, WV has always been 20 to 30 years behind the rest of the country). I called them back on 5-3 and after a great deal of discussion that led me to ask to speak to a supervisor to request a 4G SIM card for this phone. I hoped that it would have arrived today but maybe tomorrow.

I lived in Japan for 3 yrs when I was younger and I was taught the concept of Feng Shui, the arrangement of buildings, trees, and roadways in order to allow the dragon direct, straight-line access to the ocean. I've never gotten it right, but it seems as if you've got it down pat.

I lived in Florida off and on for 44 years; first in Shalimar which at the time was all swamp and pretty much still is, then in Fort Walton Beach, then Jacksonville, then Tampa (hated it), then spent 24 years in Orlando. I can tell you things about Florida that will make you say "Wow," "No way," "That's spooky," or "Really."

Tell your friend that in 1850, the Everglades extended as far north as Michigan Street in Orlando and included all of the Kissimmee River lakes, all of the Boggy Creek lakes which covered all of Orlando International Airport, all of the Shingle Creek lakes which covered Universal Studios, all of I-Drive, and all of Sea World, but also included all of the Reedy Creek lakes which covered most of Disney World.

I thought you may like this little bit of Florida history and I've got more, and most of it is just as surprising.

Your tank looks great, keep up the good work.

Who is your cell provider ? There is no such thing as a 4g and 5g sim. The sim card authorized the phone to the wireless network. The phone hardware determines if it can use 5g network. I've used the same sim card in my current phone as my old phone and the old phone before that old phone. As long as the sim card is the correct size that is all that matters.

anewbie; I'm glad you told me these things, but I have to go along with the managers of the local cell phone companies I called who have told me that there is a difference in SIM cards and there is a way to tell the difference. Look at the SIM card that came with your phone or look for the ICCID# on the box your phone came in, if that ICCID# ends with an "F," it is a 5G SIM card. The phone I have is a 4G cell phone, the phone tells me this each time I turn it on by displaying the 4G logo at the bottom of the screen, but I have a 5G SIM card and there is no 5G network anywhere in the state of WV.

Think of WV as being Americas' version of a third world country, the people are poor, they're being exploited by outside interests, they're afraid of technology though they want it. WVs' drinking water is the most unsafe drinking water in the US and is the reason why retailers sell a lot of bottled water. The people don't seem to care about WV having the highest rate of heart attack and cancer deaths in the US.

I've gotten off topic and for that I am sorry, but there is a difference in SIM cards.

If you have questions about your fish or tanks, I'd be glad to answer them if I can.

Sincerely

Gator

• 2 weeks later...

Hi fishy friends just putting in an update since I haven't for a bit. So my first 2 generations of baby Otos have been coming along very nicely in the grow out tank. I've had no casualties to speak of there. They are so pretty to watch in the evenings or early mornings when they all surf the sides of the tank. Mid days they all kind of hide out- seeing only a half dozen or so move across the tank from time to time. I bought some plants attached to rocks for their bare bottom tank and have been regretting it because eventhough I dipped them, I now have detrius worms floating all over that tank- I've been battling them since I put the plants in there with no end in sight despite daily water changes. 😐 All of that and the plants died anyway. I gave the seller a bad review, that was a fun back and forth- first saying I dipped them too long if they all died but if I indeed did that then the worms should have also died yeah? Anyway, I don't like giving a bad review but the only warning was about potential snails....that aside...

It should only be about another month before I can take both Gen1 and Gen2 to the LFS to trade them. Most of Gen1 is ready at about an inch but since they are now mixed I figure I'll just do it all at once. I have 6 of Gen3 left in a floating breeder (lost one unfortunately to unknown circumstances, looked beautifully healthy- hope it's not because of the detrius worms). The 6 of them (hopefully they all survive) will be going to a friend. 

I think the parent tank is taking a break from breeding. I'm guessing a combination of my disruption/redesign of their tank (no hitchhikers from the plants there- purchased from a different vendor) (which messed with water parameters that I'm still monitoring) AND I'm going to bet the tank temperature has something to do with it, as since we're going into hotter weather my A/C is on and instead of the balmy 77-78 degrees we are back in that time of year where it is 74-76 degrees. This is a hunch. I guess we'll see. 

No good pictures of the kids but I'll post a pic of the parent tank, you will see a marked difference- I've had a good amount of plant growth in just a couple of weeks which I'm very pleased with. 

Resized_20210517_022052.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Fishy friends, we are almost to the point where Gens1 and 2 are ready to go. They are SO beautiful in the mornings and evenings when they start to shoal around the corners of the tanks- it's a pretty dance. Video does not capture it well. Picture doesn't do it much justice either but they are gorgeous. I'm gonna miss them terribly when they're gone. 

Resized_20210512_151122.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@BriannesFishFam I appreciate the tip but that was one thing I wanted to avoid. I'm hoping this isn't going to be a super regular thing with my Otos. I suspect they did it during the winter when my house is actually warmer than it is now in the summer. I will find out when the time comes. This batch will be traded to the LFS, since I still want to get my hands on some Hillstream Loaches. By the time the Otos breed again (if they do, I'm ok if they don't) I will hopefully have joined the local club and have more access to people in my area with similar water conditions who want to buy or trade fish with me. That's the rough outline anyway.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I haven't updated this thread in a long time. So the little ones are now between 6 months and 5 months (depending which generation they were in 1-3). I have given away a half dozen to a friend (she had 3 die, and I haven't asked her since), put 11 in my other tanks which leaves approximately 35 specimens in the  10 gallon "grow out tank". The tank, even when not performing daily small water changes (I usually just spot clean nowadays), tests well. I have an HOB and a sponge filter in it due to the amount of fish. This week it was a balmy 78 degrees (remember I run no heater), 7.6 pH, 0 ammonia/nitrite, and is testing pretty regularly at 40 nitrate no matter what kind of water changing I perform- the swords in there are doing really well. Alkalinity is at 3/53.7, gh tests around 107.4. 

Here's what I'm thinking. I don't want to take them to the LFS. I may give a few more away but I sorta want a species only colony tank (yay so much for an always available quarantine tank). They may or may not end up breeding more but if they do maybe sell the results of those spawns and keep my original babies. The tank is no trouble and as they are a shoaling fish when I do see them at night and early morning they are very active and move in their groups. Since they've all grown past fry-hood I've had no deaths in that tank save for one that jammed it's little self into the HOB's intake (which is now covered by a course sponge prefilter. 

I know there are others on here that have high capacity tanks. I'd like to hear anyones thoughts on the subject. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 9/24/2021 at 7:59 PM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

I haven't updated this thread in a long time. So the little ones are now between 6 months and 5 months (depending which generation they were in 1-3). I have given away a half dozen to a friend (she had 3 die, and I haven't asked her since), put 11 in my other tanks which leaves approximately 35 specimens in the  10 gallon "grow out tank". The tank, even when not performing daily small water changes (I usually just spot clean nowadays), tests well. I have an HOB and a sponge filter in it due to the amount of fish. This week it was a balmy 78 degrees (remember I run no heater), 7.6 pH, 0 ammonia/nitrite, and is testing pretty regularly at 40 nitrate no matter what kind of water changing I perform- the swords in there are doing really well. Alkalinity is at 3/53.7, gh tests around 107.4. 

Here's what I'm thinking. I don't want to take them to the LFS. I may give a few more away but I sorta want a species only colony tank (yay so much for an always available quarantine tank). They may or may not end up breeding more but if they do maybe sell the results of those spawns and keep my original babies. The tank is no trouble and as they are a shoaling fish when I do see them at night and early morning they are very active and move in their groups. Since they've all grown past fry-hood I've had no deaths in that tank save for one that jammed it's little self into the HOB's intake (which is now covered by a course sponge prefilter. 

I know there are others on here that have high capacity tanks. I'd like to hear anyones thoughts on the subject. 

If you mean high capacity as in way overstocked that’s me. My guppies are ridiculous overstocked but happier in the higher numbers. I provide hobs and sponges just for bacteria surface area. As long as my parameters stay clean I don’t worry. My BN pleco babies currently are appx 80 in a 20 long I do water changes daily to keep nitrates controlled but again they don’t seem unhappy yet but will definitely be rehoming as soon as they are large enough. I did a large and med sponge fluval 107 and hob all established media. Yes extremely overkill but man are plecos messy business. My mom and dad pleco tank is way overstocked with babies too same deal extra filters it works fine. 

Edited by Guppysnail

@Guppysnail yeah I can see where a pleco plethora would be harder to maintain. The Otos are so small that my initial daily water changes weren't really needed. Now I do maybe a half gallon a day just for spot cleaning or use a turkey baster if I'm feeling "lazy". Even when they are full size I feel like their bio load is small. The cleaning I do is more from the Hikari wafers than their waste (they're in a bare bottom with pots). 

• Like 1

On 9/24/2021 at 6:52 PM, Guppysnail said:

As long as my parameters stay clean I don’t worry.

Yay!!!

I had people losing their minds over how many guppies (well, the females look like guppies, every single male looks like an endler, and they have been breeding for over 18 months now) stock the turtle pond.

Every couple of months I catch between 40 to 60 of the largest, and take to the LFS.

As long as parameters are good, and I don't ever find floaters, I call it good.

• Like 2

On 9/25/2021 at 2:03 PM, Torrey said:

Yay!!!

I had people losing their minds over how many guppies (well, the females look like guppies, every single male looks like an endler, and they have been breeding for over 18 months now) stock the turtle pond.

Every couple of months I catch between 40 to 60 of the largest, and take to the LFS.

As long as parameters are good, and I don't ever find floaters, I call it good.

I found my guppies to be very noticeably happier in overstocked conditions.  I learned that from hubby fishing while I sit on the dock watching fish or collecting plants. They group in sardine packed tight groups. It’s a security social behavior I always note. Yes they are in a million gallon lake but 100+ stay in a 20-30 gallon area. So my brain says clean water tons of fish=happy fish 😁

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I am near 100% sure my lovely original Momma Oto is always in the neighborhood of the small Sword where her babies were born. She's the only one I see on a regular basis, her other 10-14 companions (some her own babies) are not often seen when the lights are on. She is such a lovely fish, I truly love her so much. She will sit still and let me watch her, take pictures. I can put my hands in the tank very close by for maintenance and she'll hold her position. She's so much bigger than she was originally. We're getting close to the time of year she had her last spawn (late winter). I wonder if it will happen again.....

Resized_20211008_130108.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 3

• 3 weeks later...

HERE WE GO FISHY FRIENDS!!!! We're approaching summer in my house (no really it's fall outside but I keep my house on the warmer side this time of year). The room my tanks are in are helped by a space heater. I thought we had a month or so to go until I saw signs. I was watching my original Otos this morning being waaaaay more active than they usually are (meaning I never see them and this morning they were dancing all over the tank). So I made a mental note to start checking the glass every day. BUT I went to clean the Accidental Oto tank (where all the offspring are that I recently decided to keep) and TA DA!!!!! I caught 3 babies!!!!!

Resized_20211024_114028.jpg

Resized_20211024_114109.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 3