alternative or DIY tank stands?

Sal

@Brandy @Steve Pituch@Tanked

Thank you guys so much for the advice and encouragement. I've been watching some videos, and I think I can handle this!  Do you think a kit like this would work?  It has decent reviews on Amazon.  

https://www.amazon.com/WEST-SYSTEM-105-K-Fiberglass-Repair/dp/B007D2QV5Q/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=cloth+fiberglass+repair+kit&qid=1614698374&sr=8-4#customerReviews

Another weekend, another update!

Added the final back bracing to the stand, did the touchup painting, and added a clear wax coat over the top to help resist water.  This Krylon wax was really easy to use!  Water change drips should bead right up.

I also got the fiberglass repair kit and did my best to reinforce the center bar crack on the tank... I may add another layer just for piece of mind after these cure...  We'll see.  It was pretty easy to use, the epoxy came in pre-measured little packets, and the instructions were pretty simple.  I hope I did OK.  It says it only needs a couple hours to cure, but I will leave it overnight...  Depending on how things seem tomorrow, we may do a water test to see how I did with re-sealing it last weekend.

Last but not least, we have a plan for the floor reinforcements, I am not great with the contracting lingo, but I believe we are reinforcing the joists that are already there, as well as adding 2 additional posts to the floor of the garage (which fortunately will not be in the way of cars at all.  I am sure we are overkilling it and making this more of a project than it needs to be, but the peace of mind will be worth it.

I also stained a wood shelf which will go on the wall above the tanks (hence that photo).  My vision is to have some pothos or vining plants up there so that it will feel all jungle like.

Slow and steady.  I cannot wait to start scaping (but trying not to get too ahead of myself, let's just hope it holds water first!) 😂

Thanks for all the encouragement!

IMG_4289.jpg.86d5d0283a4b081b0fbb8e5c29137e34.jpg

IMG_4292.jpg

Edited by Sal
  • Like 1

Final update for now:  I hung the shelf last night, and played around with styling it...  I'll add more vining plants eventually, but for now just moved some pothos, peperomia, and tiny little monstera propagation from my livingroom.   What do you guys think?

We just need a tank!  It has been too cold to water test, and I am getting sooooo impatient.  😂

ACS_2267.JPG

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Don Sexton said:

Question, is that 2x4’s only on the sides of the stand with 3 tanks? I’m wanting to build one to hold my 40 tall, and like the design of it. I would only put two tanks on mine- thanks.

It’s held up by 4 x 4s. 

27 minutes ago, Sal said:

Final update for now:  I hung the shelf last night, and played around with styling it...  I'll add more vining plants eventually, but for now just moved some pothos, peperomia, and tiny little monstera propagation from my livingroom.   What do you guys think?

We just need a tank!  It has been too cold to water test, and I am getting sooooo impatient.  😂

Looks lovely! I think that people who are already good at keeping house plants are always better suited to care for planted tanks. Looking forward to seeing how you set it up and stock it. Spider wood is always beautiful. I’ve never regretted a few big Amazon Swords - they’ll appreciate root tabs.

• Like 1

It's warm enough in New England (55) to do an outdoor water test today...  Thankfully the python through my 1st floor bathroom window reaches so I don't have to use a hose/freezing water to fill it up...  Gonna let the water sit in it all afternoon and see how it goes!  Working from home has it's perks.  😂

Cross your fingers for me!!

IMG_4363.jpg

• Like 3

Well...  I am not sure I can call the water test a success, and not really sure where to go from here.

The seals held up well, I did not see any bubbles, and there was no leaking that I could see.  After 4 hours of water being in it, there was no decrease in the water line.

However........There was one corner, I noticed as I was draining it out, that had water down in the plastic (see photo.) It's not clear to me whether or not water got in there while I was doing some glass cleaning, or while sloshing a bucket around near it, or if it is leaking from the bottom seam?  I watched to see if it ever "overflowed" the black plastic - it didnt - but it did seem to refill once I pressed some of it out.  

😞

I'm so discouraged.....

What would be your next steps?

IMG_4367.jpg

53 minutes ago, Sal said:

Well...  I am not sure I can call the water test a success, and not really sure where to go from here.

The seals held up well, I did not see any bubbles, and there was no leaking that I could see.  After 4 hours of water being in it, there was no decrease in the water line.

However........There was one corner, I noticed as I was draining it out, that had water down in the plastic (see photo.) It's not clear to me whether or not water got in there while I was doing some glass cleaning, or while sloshing a bucket around near it, or if it is leaking from the bottom seam?  I watched to see if it ever "overflowed" the black plastic - it didnt - but it did seem to refill once I pressed some of it out.  

😞

I'm so discouraged.....

What would be your next steps?

IMG_4367.jpg

A trick I learned from a plumber: dry the area completely, then put a piece of paper towel there. Come back in 30 minutes and see if it's wet.

This is assuming you're not getting any condensation on the glass, but there probably isn't a strong enough difference between your air and water temps to cause that.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kirsten said:

This is assuming you're not getting any condensation on the glass, but there probably isn't a strong enough difference between your air and water temps to cause that.

Ooooh, yeah, I did get condensation on an indoor water test. 

• Like 2

Ok, drained it, dried it, lugged it back inside overnight (freezing temps again), carefully puffed a bit of condensed air to dry out the corner really well...  Then lugged it back outside (another warm New England day), refilled it...    Im about an hour into the second test and so far do not see any water in the corner...  So maybe that is a good sign??

I do see a bit of condensation between the glass and the bottom brace - on the OUTSIDE of the glass.  Is that concerning?

Edited by Sal

If the condensation is because the water temperature and aquarium surface is colder than the air temperature, I don't think it should be? I believe that condensation doesn't occur when we keep aquariums because the aquarium is usually warmer or equal to the air temperature around it.

• Like 1

I agree on the condensation, but I would run a test with some colored paper napkins under the tank filled to where you will normally keep the water level for a few hours if you can. You'll have to be careful not to splash while you fill it, colored paper napkins usually show really well if they got wet, better than plain white paper towels.  It's what I used to check some of my tanks after they had been empty and in storage for a few years, although current outside temperatures can make that difficult.

We've got another winter storm coming here in Colorado in the next few days, and this time it is coming from the South, which means the clouds are full from the Baja California in Mexico and it's going to be a lot of wet snow. So my snowblower will be doing Nada, and I'll get to to get out the snow shovel, oh joy!

• Like 2

3 hours in, and NO leaks or water in any of the corners that I can see!!  Fiberglass patch is looking STRONG, and the water line has not budged!  Feeling much better about it today.    I think we are good to go!  🎉🎉🎉

After you successfully re-seal your first tank, do you advance a level in the hobby??  😂

• Like 3

latest and greatest...  Under-floor reinforcements were finished in the garage yesterday (tank sits directly above our drive under garage and a small heated pump room we have, so there are some walls already in place...  Cross bracing added to the existing joists, as well as 2 additional posts added for additional floor support.  One side of the tank is sitting directly on the foundation wall of the house...  So we are feeling pretty good about it.   All was checked and measured before filling the tank, and after, and there is no bowing and nothing looks stressed.  

Tank has been fully filled, inside my house, for about 24 hours...  Stand looks good, nothing bowing, floor looks strong, and nothing leaked overnight...  I realize it is off-center in the photo, so we will be draining and fixing that today.  Filter and substrate are ready to go.  

By George, I think we did it.

Now, to see if I can make it the beautiful planted jungle tank I am wanting...  🙂   We are planning to build a very simple canopy to dress up the top as well, but first need to purchase a light.

ACS_2281.JPG

Edited by Sal
  • Like 7
  • Love 2

• 7 months later...
On 2/12/2021 at 7:09 AM, Andy's Fish Den said:

I've built all my stands and racks I've ever had except the one for my 93 cube tank, and that is only because I won the tank and stand in a raffle and the stand was a nice solid one already. I just use 2x4 for all them, if the tank is longer than 4 feet, I put a vertical brace in the center. Even stands that I have built that went in my living room, not in my fish room, I just made a frame out of 2x4 and the wrapped in 1/4" plywood, and used stock moldings from Menard's to dress up corners and edges. This is an older pic of a double 40 breeder rack I built 

IMG_20200320_164220726.jpg

Bro do you know the exact measurements for that ? Want to build it but want to build a double and do it right ? If you can help me would appreciate it 

On 2/12/2021 at 8:57 AM, Sal said:

Show me a picture of your alternative tank stand, or DIY tank stand?

Is there anything you can do to convert a solid wood piece of furniture (like a hutch bottom, or an old vintage dresser) into a good tank stand for a larger (90gal, 120 gal) tank, or don't even attempt?

Solid oak/ no particle board furniture is best. I use it a lot. I use boat grade polyurethane several coats in every nook and cranny to keep it water proof. I’ve not tried anything like a 90 but I believe it would work. The problem is oak furniture of that grade is often more expensive than a normal stand. 

ADD. I guess I was late on this thread. I’m glad you found something 

On 11/8/2021 at 4:20 PM, Leo2o915 said:

Bro do you know the exact measurements for that ? Want to build it but want to build a double and do it right ? If you can help me would appreciate it 

I built that stand several years ago, so I don't recall the measurements, but I can try to remember to measure tonight when I get home. It's a nice well built stand, only thin I would change if doing again is lower the bottom one and have an inch or two less space between tanks so that the top one isn't so tall. I can reach up to put food in the tank, but to clean the glass or plant a plant I need a 3 foot stepstool. 

On 11/8/2021 at 4:20 PM, Leo2o915 said:

Here are the measurements for a cut list to make this stand. All piece are 2x4, and I use 3" exterior grade screws to assemble. I paint each piece separately before assembling so that all surfaces have paint for protection. 

You need four piece of each length: 39.5" for the horizontal tank supports, 60" for the upright legs, and 15 3/8" for the short horizontal pieces that go front to back. You can cut the dadoes in the legs at whatever point you want the tanks to sit at. This stand I made, there is enough room for a five gallon bucket to slide underneath, and then I have 9" of clearance between the bottom tank and the 2x4 supporting the top tank. 

As I said before, if I would make again, I would have the bottom tank a few inches lower, and an inch or two less space between the two tank so that the top one isn't as high.