Nicest Gourami

FishyJames

Pearl Gouramis can also work if they are the biggest fish in the tank and there aren't any other Gouramis. But Gouramis are kind of a crapshoot. Some are friendly and great, same are jerks and chase everything, and then some are chickens and you never seem them. 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

I have Dwarf Gouramis, Honey Gouramis and Sparkling Gouramis (not all in the same tank) but the one thing mine all have in common is they are nice to everyone except their own kind. The Sparkling Gouramis dive bomb eachother, the Honey Gouramis chase a bit (nothing serious) and the Dwarf Gouramis (both males) have a mutual agreement to split a 55 gallon 50/50 and rarely get near eachother. If they do, there is some mild chasing. None of them bother other fish though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I thought a pearl gourami would work out well for my community tank (guppy/endler's livebearer, corydoras, bristlenose pleco, algae eaters, amano shrimp, assassin snails). He is really peaceful, he doesn't even eat the guppy fry (while I don't know but I've never seen him go after any or find any missing). The only thing is when I'm feeding my corydoras pellets on the bottom. Even though he eats flake, he will nip the cories and chase them away from their pellets. I think the reason that he feels he needs to be territorial/aggressive is because there might be too many animals in the tank and he feels crowded and like everyone's stealing his food (even though they aren't). That's why I ordered Sera O Nip tabs to try and keep him focused on something else above the area where the cories eat. But while I'm waiting, I transferred him to a 10 gallon tank to hold him for a week or so.

20201225_095841.jpg.5bbb98dfe8805444b7930f7b36359c5f.jpg

So I would recommend a pearl gourami if your tank isn't highly stocked. Sparkling and honey gourami are great choices as well. I don't recommend a dwarf gourami, but I heard females are a lot more peaceful than males. Don't get a blue gourami though:

20201224_153547.jpg.03e393fbdbc6929799f0db8687d97583.jpg

(I took this photo at a pet store). They can be aggressive and territorial towards all members of your community.

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

I am loving my honey gouramis.  They seem to be doing great in one of my community tanks which also has a school of neon tetras.  If your tank is large enough, you could even do a few (like 6) too.  Plus I personally like the yellow contrast to the neon tetras red, white, and blue. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, swivvr said:

I tried getting a honey gourami at my lfs, but the employee did not sell me it since she told me that gourami's can not be with other fish, need to live with another partner, and need a 40 gallon tank or higher.

Sounds like a fairly misinformed employee, although that is better than just selling you a bunch of stuff that would destroy each other.

It may turn into a train wreck when they all reach sexual maturity, but I have 9 pearl gouramis in a 40 gallon breeder tank and it's working well so far.  Two of them are very near adulthood now, but the others are about half grown.  The tank is heavily planted, so I'm hopeful it will continue to work out.

I occasionally see one of them make a half-hearted run at another one, but they don't pay any attention to the other tank inhabitants.

• Thanks 1

I have two honeys in a 55 with tetras, yo-yo loaches, otos, and a pleco. The dad will chase everyone away from his eggs and fry but not that violently (the loaches often don’t even move, they just let him headbutt them). I’ve seen the female chase an oto but not violently. More like she was bored and it was there. All in all they’ve been super peaceful for me!

• Thanks 1