Starting a 55g planted angelfish tank, any ideas are welcome!

HenryC

Hi guys, I've always wanted a dedicated angelfish tank and I think it's time I get one! The 55g seems ok for them, I'm planning to put 6-8 golden marbled angelfish. I want them to stand out really good so I will be painting the background black, and adding a black substrate.

Do you guys have any dedicated angelfish tanks? I would love to get ideas from you, if you could post a photo that would be great!. I cannot decide which substrate to get, I'm looking at CaribSea Ecocomplete and Fluval Stratum. It seems stratum might be a bit better and more nutritious, but I am not a big fan of the spherical shaped grain, I like the more natural, rough, rocky look of the ecocomplete. Any commentary?

Thanks! Happy new year!

Gold-Marble-Angelfish.jpg.5872d9c62f4f24a38233438cf08cb393.jpg

Edited by HenryC

Please excuse the glass, Hank and Mable spawned yesterday and I don’t like stressing them when they are on eggs.  

the tank is a 38g and I replaced the plants on the left side the other day.  The water sprite floating on top is waiting for spring and the summer tubbing season.  I have some danios, panda corydoras, and BN plecos in the tank as well.  The danios prevent the angle eggs from developing, but they may migrate to the summer tub as well.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 4

And as it turns out. While trying to take the 1st of my two photos just above, the angelfish kept pecking at a sword plant leaf, you know, like they were cleaning a spot to lay eggs.

Well, it turns out that they were cleaning a spot to lay eggs.

image.png.f03651bf68c3cce5e46f4d925687cbeb.png

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

And as it turns out. While trying to take the 1st of my two photos just above, the angelfish kept pecking at a sword plant leaf, you know, like they were cleaning a spot to lay eggs.

That is awesome! Way to start out the New Year!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I see you have an endlers with your angelfish, I was wondering if your angelfish have ever eaten the endlers.

1 minute ago, Paul_Obermiller said:

I see you have an endlers with your angelfish, I was wondering if your angelfish have ever eaten the endlers.

I think the angelfish would eat the adult Endlers if they could catch them, but they can't catch them. I have had three 40 breeders stocked with angelfish and Endlers for the last 60 days and so far no adult Endlers have gone missing. But, anytime I hear popping coming from the direction of the three 40 gallon breeders, it means one of the Endler females is giving birth and the angelfish are picking the fry off at the surface.

6 hours ago, Struggle said:

I haven’t used either of the substrates mentioned but I do have a angel tank. Please excuse the glass and food, I just finished feeding them when I took the pictures.

A3E8B109-D9B8-4850-B003-97E4209F8399.jpeg.ae06e47d143e4a10f88b505acd2aa8ab.jpegB390001F-58BF-44E4-992E-F33A1C457A1C.jpeg.eddeaf3f7c79f43562547b3d950d0fc4.jpeg

Those are super stunning! What type are they?

They you for your help guys! Imma go with ecocomplete!

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/1/2021 at 1:11 AM, HenryC said:

Hi guys, I've always wanted a dedicated angelfish tank and I think it's time I get one! The 55g seems ok for them, I'm planning to put 6-8 golden marbled angelfish. I want them to stand out really good so I will be painting the background black, and adding a black substrate.

Do you guys have any dedicated angelfish tanks? I would love to get ideas from you, if you could post a photo that would be great!. I cannot decide which substrate to get, I'm looking at CaribSea Ecocomplete and Fluval Stratum. It seems stratum might be a bit better and more nutritious, but I am not a big fan of the spherical shaped grain, I like the more natural, rough, rocky look of the ecocomplete. Any commentary?

Thanks! Happy new year!

Gold-Marble-Angelfish.jpg.5872d9c62f4f24a38233438cf08cb393.jpg

I taped foam cored poster board to the back of my tank; using clear packing tape. It'll be easier to remove if I decide to change it.

20210112_171238.jpg

• Thanks 1