Mystery Snail Disappeared?

MeggersNCat

Hey guys! Because you're all kind and helpful I'm posting yet again. Lol. I have, count 'em, two mystery snails. One is gold and one is blue. Gold one is super active, I find that little fellow all over the tank. The blue however I only see once in a while. First day it sort of burrowed itself in the substrate with the shell sticking out. Second day I saw it exploring the tank. Third day that sucker was GONE, I loved everywhere, even outside the tank, it was nowhere. Fourth day, hey there it is again! Fifth day it's gone again. So my question is, do mystery snails burrow in your experience? I've only had these guys a few days so I'm still getting use to them. Everywhere I see online some people say they don't, others say they have one that does. What are your thoughts and experiences?

14 minutes ago, Patrick M. Bodega Aquatics said:

I commonly find my Nerites outside of the tank too. . . or not

I've never had a nerite leave the tank, thankfully! The mystery snail went on walk about though. But I already posted that epic saga! Ha!

I have 3 nerite snails in one tank, and 3 baby mystery (also pond and baby rams hitchhikers) in another tank. The nerites will hide for a couple days at a time... long enough to make me start looking for them with purpose, then all of a sudden there it is! My baby mystery snails are all over the tank... I have pretty large gravel so its hard for them to burry themselves but they sure do hide as well. I have lids on both tanks because they all will go on walk about if I give them the chance.

With mystery snails, I have never seen one fully submerge itself in substrate, only like halfway, if it is completely gone look around the outside of your tank (behind it by the wall?) mystery snails are notorious for escaping and falling out, they can live a surprisingly long time outside of the tank but if you find it outside the tank make sure you sniff it to make sure it isn't to late, trust me you will know when its to late, if you unsure when you sniff it, its still good throw it back, if you feel like your smelling one of the worst smells of your life, its to late. 

Nerite snails will venture to the top of the tank, but never fall out from my experience, its only the goofy mystery snails who will tumble out. well them and pond snails, bladder and rams and Malaysian know to stay inside. 

On 12/30/2020 at 11:28 PM, GardenStateGoldfish said:

With mystery snails, I have never seen one fully submerge itself in substrate, only like halfway, if it is completely gone look around the outside of your tank (behind it by the wall?) mystery snails are notorious for escaping and falling out, they can live a surprisingly long time outside of the tank but if you find it outside the tank make sure you sniff it to make sure it isn't to late, trust me you will know when its to late, if you unsure when you sniff it, its still good throw it back, if you feel like your smelling one of the worst smells of your life, its to late. 

Nerite snails will venture to the top of the tank, but never fall out from my experience, its only the goofy mystery snails who will tumble out. well them and pond snails, bladder and rams and Malaysian know to stay inside. 

I did look all around the outside of the tank. But my snail has emerged since then, so both snails are still accounted for!

• Like 2

I think it’s more of them just trying to get to food in the substrate. I’ve had some ramshorn snails dig into the substrate a little bit, not fully buried though.

On 12/30/2020 at 11:28 PM, GardenStateGoldfish said:

well them and pond snails, bladder and rams and Malaysian know to stay inside.

I’ve had one or two ramshorn decide the aquatic life isn’t for them. Definitely not as common as those pond snails though. 

• Like 1