Gift for kid who loves nature

Jess

I'm looking for a cool gift for a young girl, 10 years old, who is pretty into nature.  She has a 55-gallon tank in her fish with fish she caught herself, a paludarium with a gecko, and a few tanks with turtles.  She loves to collect insects.  I was thinking maybe a cool, information book...I don't know.  Looking to spend $10-20 (there are a lot of kids to buy for...but she's the only one who is super into nature, like I am).

Any suggestions from the crowd?

I love any of the John Eastman books. What is so wonderful are the many stories about the plants, animals and insects of the woods and fields around your house. Stories about who depends on whom and life histories. It really fires the imagination!

IMG_3631.JPG.8e0d69fb93259f837decf62496a550ab.JPG

These are only a couple of the books in the series. There are many more.

IMG_3633.JPG.df22d788871ef965113f8028472c17c6.JPG

• Like 1

I like the book idea! The internet is great and all, but an authoritative book, such as one of the above suggestions, is priceless, and something she'll probably have her whole life! (I inherited my brother's Audubon books from the early-mid 70s).

• Like 1

Thank you all so much for these great suggestions!  I'm glad so many people suggested field guides...I was that weird kid who read them cover to cover (since I was about 8), and I'm always kind of nervous that kids won't appreciate it.  I also love the ideas involving trips together! I've not heard of the John Eastman titles; I might get those for myself and then pass them on to her the next time I see her in 2021.  She'll be a little bit older, and also then we can talk about them.  Thanks, everyone!

• Like 1

The Venus fly trap is a great idea!!!  Wow, I never would have thought of that!  I had one when I was her age (possibly younger), and I remember thinking that would be Mom and Dad's greatest gift: my plant would eat the annoying flies that snuck in during the summer.  I read all about them.  The flies would just fly all around the plant and never land on it.  I just sat there every day thinking, "Why isn't nature working?!?!?!" Haha.  I haven't thought about that in years.  I lost both my parents relatively recently, so that was a really nice memory.

This community is just so incredible.  Irreplaceable, truly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...
On 12/17/2020 at 7:13 PM, Jess said:

She loves to collect insects.  I was thinking maybe a cool, information book...I don't know.  Looking to spend $10-20 (there are a lot of kids to buy for...but she's the only one who is super into nature, like I am).

Look up animal photography or the eyewitness type of books that talk about a specific species and give a TON of information. as a kid who loves those, that's what I spent hours and hours reading over and over.

Something like....

Videos or books. I'd do something like:

https://www.amazon.com/Microsculpture-Portraits-Insects-Levon-Biss/dp/1419726951/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=insect+photography+book&qid=1650439884&sprefix=insect+photog%2Caps%2C247&sr=8-3