Easy Green + Valisneria Americana + Discus = ??

Just got a bunch of Valisneria americana from a fish club member. Planted it in a 55 gal with a bunch of fish . . . Rams, Discus, etc. We have pretty soft water, so discus stay happy. But Val seems to get grumpy without being fed. Got some Easy Green! Now . . . any thoughts on how Discus may respond to a bump up of nitrates from Easy Green? Don't want to stress them unnecessarily.  

34 minutes ago, Fish Folk said:

Oh wow... just... wow... that looks like paradise! Good. Exactly what we were looking for. Is that a 110?

The aquarium is 540 gallons. 8 feet by 3 feet by 3 feet. If I were to do it again I would probably go with 10 feet by 4 feet by 2 feet deep. It is difficult and inconvenient to reach to bottom of a 36" deep aquarium.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

The aquarium is 540 gallons. 8 feet by 3 feet by 3 feet. If I were to do it again I would probably go with 10 feet by 4 feet by 2 feet deep. It is difficult and inconvenient to reach to bottom of a 36" deep aquarium.

thats a fact, even a 24" deep tank gets a 6' tall person in up to their armpits. 

• Like 1

On 12/13/2020 at 9:03 AM, Daniel said:

Here is a wider angle:

1141589887_October6013.jpg.2839239e59434b43d23575b0a597cd1e.jpg

I really liked all the plants, but eventually even cool stuff gets boring. For the last few years I have gone with a hardscape only, which I did not think I would like. But, it turns out that is pretty cool also.

OMG! Thanks @Fish Folk for the recommendation to see this tank! 

@Daniel gorgeous! How did you get this tank into your house?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jeff said:

@Daniel gorgeous! How did you get this tank into your house?

The tank and house were built at the same time so one wall of the house was left open. All the plumbing for the aquarium was laid in place before the concrete slab for the ground floor was poured. When it was time the aquarium was brought in on a forklift and then set on the stand.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

The tank and house were built at the same time so one wall of the house was left open. All the plumbing for the aquarium was laid in place before the concrete slab for the ground floor was poured. When it was time the aquarium was brought in on a forklift and then set on the stand.

🤭 🤩 Daniel is officially a man of aquarium legend! Check out his interview with Randy Reed over on the Aquarist Podcast, Ep. 93. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

+1 the root tabs.

My val had filled in nicely with just easy green and fish poo, but I got a small pack of root tabs in a care pack and so I said "what the heck" and tucked in 3 across the back of a 30" long tank. I am not kidding, the Val grew 4-6 inches in a week, and is finally laying over on top of the water.

• Like 1