Food for People?

FlyingFishKeeper

Just out of curiosity do you still eat fish/shrimp/snails after starting to become involved with fish keeping? I for one still really love fish/aquatic animals  (as food and friends.) Although seeing something like a whole fish live fish in one of the tanks in the grocery store is slightly off putting now, especially when it looks horribly overstocked... (Although fish are tasty though 🙂   )

Edited by FlyingFishKeeper

Yes, my first experience with fish was fishing with my dad. Later after I got first aquarium, it just made the fishing more interesting, because I understood the fish better.

But I have also lived in a rural area and raised chickens and rabbits for food. You care about the animals in your care, and you kinda wish everyone could live forever and die of old age. But then I get hungry and it turns out I end up putting my needs first.

Same as when I built my house on a wooded lot. I love trees, sometimes I read articles on plant neurobiology, but when it came time to build my house, I cut down trees to make space for the house.

It is a complex thing being alive and interacting with and something eating other living things.

• Like 6

Fish are fun to watch, but also delicious. Now I was never big on eating shrimp,  so keeping them in aquariums really hasn't changed that I still don't  care for the taste of them. I was neutral about squid before hand, but four years in marine biology preparing whole squid for consumption in the fish tanks has thoroughly turned my stomach due to the smell. Its so hard to get it out of your hands.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, FlyingFishKeeper said:

whole live fish in one of the tanks in the grocery store

I  recently learned that some big pretty goldfish sold in pet shops here are actually cheaper than live fish sold for food in supermarkets.  I guess the goldfish are not terribly tasty... I'll stick with (mostly frozen) seafood. 

• Haha 2

My sister and her daughter... Yes, all of us eat fish, but mostly as sushi and only once in a while. (Sorry if the pics are off topic, they make me laugh really hard and I hope they make everyone else smile too. Yes, I got her permission before posting.)

signal-2020-02-29-162229.jpg

Screenshot_20200229-182430_Signal.jpg

Screenshot_20200229-182503_Signal.jpg

Edited by Kat_Rigel
Added funny pics
  • Haha 7

Seafood was an acquired taste for me even before I got into aquariums! I love shellfish, squid, smoked salmon, and a few others but it took a lot of time/exposure to different methods of cooking. I'm not a picky eater but texture can definitely put off my appetite at times.

I’ve always liked fish, especially Maine fish chowder, but it took me longer to be ok with certain shellfish. Someone made me eat a raw clam or something as a kid, and my first lobster was too springy, so I had/have a textural aversion. I’ve since learned to enjoy raw oysters, clam chowder, and a few other things.

I made the mistake of trying sushi in a DC mall on a school trip, and it wasn’t until college that I realized how good it could be.

My other aversion was mushrooms, until I tried the ones in Tom Ka Gai. Again, it’s the texture. I’m still very picky about chewing them, but I love the Umami effects on flavor!

Edited by Streetwise

This hobby is making me go more so in on eating fish.  My example being eating, and enjoying, pleco soup in Peru.

The invasive plecos in Florida are the same ones that can be used for this delicious meal.  Let's get the Pleco Soup campaign going to help the Florida waterways, native species, vegetation, and that cuddly manatee by catching and cooking this tasty bottom dweller. 😋🍲

You can watch the clip below of us getting down on Pleco soup.

• Like 1