I'm looking into tetras for my 30 gallon aquarium. I like green neons, but also would like to consider cardinals and neon tetras. My main preference is hardiness, as I am new to fishkeeping and would prefer an "easier" fish while I figure out more and more 😁

• I have heard neon tetras aren't very hardy and are short-lived. Is this the case?
  • What about cardinals?
  • What can I expect for any tetras?
    • do tetras need a top / lid on the aquarium?

My aquarium is stocked with 9 pygmy cories and I will likely increase that number. I also plan on three or four otocinclus and then the school of tetras. My pH is about 7.0 to 7.4, gH G and kH 7 - 8 . My temperature is 22/23 degrees in the winter and 24 degrees in summer (22 c = 71 f, 24 c = 75 f)*

*I have changed my heater on my aquariums for a long while after realizing that where I live has harsh winters and hot hot summers (gotta love west of the Cascades, am I right? [yes, I am]), and to keep the water temperature more stable I simply adjust it depending on the season. Mimics the natural habitat a bit better as well. 

• Like 1

I’ve had all 3 you mentioned. Neons were some of my first fish. Cardinals have been in my 55 gallon for the past couple of years. Their numbers have really dwindled over the past 6 months or so. I have Green Neons in my 20L Blackwater tank and I currently have some in QT to beef those numbers up. 

You can’t really go wrong. Comes down to personal preference. Neons are a staple in the hobby. Could be great in a big school. Green Neons can also be finicky. The LFS that takes all the fish I breed stopped bringing them in as they just can’t keep em alive. Cardinals are the biggest of the 3 you mentioned, so keep that in mind when making your decision. 

• Love 1

My stocking plans for my 55 gallon keep changing, but one of the few constants on my list is cardinal tetras.  I love that full line of red that runs from nose to tail.  

• Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 10:03 PM, clownbaby said:

I have heard neon tetras aren't very hardy and are short-lived

around us, it is true unfortunately. just off the bat, we expect at least a 50% loss in the first 3 months. after the first 3 months, the weaker ones have gone and what's left usually lasts for the time they should. even have this problem with some lfs sources. the hobby just goes through millions and millions of these fish. the genetics have gotten off track and are now weak. good sources still exist, but you have to hunt for them, and they're not going to be 1.95 per fish. wild caught should also be fine. Dan's fish or aqua huna should be good. 

• Like 1

Cardinals are stunning, love them to death. The guy at my LFS said they really need that 80-82 range so keep in mind that may affect how you stock the rest of your tank. Your pygmies may not appreciate it.😂

I don’t know a ton about the other two but I assume if you get Neons from a good source like Dans Fish they should be okay. Some people have terrible luck with them, some say they’re fine.🤷🏼‍♀️ 

I think Green Neons are the shyest of the bunch (don’t quote me on that) but AllFishNoBrakes would know more than me! And if you have a decent group of them in a 30g I bet they’d do well!

All in all I think it comes down to preference, which is honestly the hardest part!😂

But I think you’ve picked a great, hardy trio of choices so if you get them from a good source, I bet any of those three will do well for you!

• Like 1

there are some very cool new tetras if you can find them. green fire tetras, diamond head tetras, racoon tetras, gold tetras. gold neons. lots of tetras. depends on what you like

• Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 10:39 PM, Tlindsey said:

71 degrees may not be warm enough for those tetras.

never thought about that. @clownbaby neons and cardinals need at least 75 degree water. green neons and green fire tetras can go to 72

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 5/29/2024 at 7:39 PM, Tlindsey said:

71 degrees may not be warm enough for those tetras. 

Oh? I will research more, thank you!

On 5/29/2024 at 7:40 PM, Tony s said:

there are some very cool new tetras if you can find them. green fire tetras, diamond head tetras, racoon tetras, gold tetras. gold neons. lots of tetras. depends on what you like

Unfortunately my budget and resources are tight, the closest LFS that actually cares for fish is an hour drive, so big box stores are my best bet, and they aren't known to keep rare / new varieties. 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 8:36 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

Cardinals are stunning, love them to death. The guy at my LFS said they really need that 80-82 range

I’ve kept mine in the 78 range and they’ve done just fine. I know they’re done with Discus a lot, as well as Sterbai Cory’s cuz they can both handle the heat that Discus need. 78 has worked well for the Cardinals, Angelfish, Albino Cory’s, and the Praecox Rainbows I have in that tank. 

I didn’t notice that your tank is at 71. Might wanna bump that up a bit. Even like 76 could be a good spot to shoot for. 

On 5/29/2024 at 8:36 PM, EricksonAquatics said:

I think Green Neons are the shyest of the bunch (don’t quote me on that) but AllFishNoBrakes would know more than me!

My Green Neons are pretty shy, but I don’t hate it. My wild caught Black Neons are also really shy. You give the fish a place to hide, behind plants and hardscape, and then they do. Just like I imagine they would be hiding in the plants, roots, branches, etc. in the Amazon. I’m curious to see if the Green Neons are just as shy when they’re a school of 15 instead of the 5 I currently have (started with 10, 9 made it through QT, and now I’m down to 5). I’ll know in a few weeks when the new batch are through QT and are added to the display!

• Like 1

Aside from obvious color reasons, I would vouge for green neons or cardinals. Cardinals are bred a little less, and you may get wild caught ones. Believe it or not, the act of catching and selling wild aquarium fish from the amazon actually is a sustainable activity and creates a job for the residents there that doesn't involve cutting or burning the forest. Win-win! 

I have had very good results with Green Neon Tetras from Aqua Huna.They are absolutely stunning the rare times direct sunlight hits thetank in winter when the sun is angled low to the horizon and makes it to the tank…. They absolutely light up the tank…

They have been a no drama fish for me with very soft tap water, kh of 1, GH of 3 degassed ph of 7.2.  High survival through quarantine when I have bought them from Aqua Huna, in 2 1/2 years I have only lost 2 to swim bladder issues out of maybe 40 in 4 tanks…. I also like that they are the smallest at about 3/4 an inch full grown…

Lambchop rasboras pair nicely with them as well…

• Like 1

I've had bad luck with neons. I think they just have bad treatment in breeding and shipping because they're such a popular commodity fish.

Cardinals seem to have much better and healthier sourcing but are more expensive. I think they get a little bigger than neons too. 

Green neons are super cool but they stay tiny so they're not very brave unless you get a bunch of them. Get at least 10 tetras of whatever species if you want them to school around and not hide as much. 

• Like 1

green neons are the simplest

not picky about parameters like cardinals and not going to instantly die like neons

If you have soft water for cardinals and are ok with the higher temperature you should try them.

• Like 1

There are a lot of tetras out there. You may want to look at different varieties. My new tank has 20 rummy nose tetras and they are kind of amazing. 

I believe they are known as hardy fish and they school readily.

But of the three, Cardinals. They are just prettier than neon and have less problems.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 8:43 PM, Kunersbettas said:

Aside from obvious color reasons, I would vouge for green neons or cardinals. Cardinals are bred a little less, and you may get wild caught ones. Believe it or not, the act of catching and selling wild aquarium fish from the amazon actually is a sustainable activity and creates a job for the residents there that doesn't involve cutting or burning the forest. Win-win! 

Yes - it is always ironic to me that people do not support wild-caught fish, yet they will purchase many foods that directly lead to deforestation. I prefer captive bred simply because I feel as though the fish tend to be hardier for aquarium use, but this wouldn't affect my purchase at all. If they were wild-caught, that's okay too!

• Like 1

On 5/29/2024 at 8:13 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

I’ve kept mine in the 78 range and they’ve done just fine. I know they’re done with Discus a lot, as well as Sterbai Cory’s cuz they can both handle the heat that Discus need. 78 has worked well for the Cardinals, Angelfish, Albino Cory’s, and the Praecox Rainbows I have in that tank. 

I didn’t notice that your tank is at 71. Might wanna bump that up a bit. Even like 76 could be a good spot to shoot for. 

My Green Neons are pretty shy, but I don’t hate it. My wild caught Black Neons are also really shy. You give the fish a place to hide, behind plants and hardscape, and then they do. Just like I imagine they would be hiding in the plants, roots, branches, etc. in the Amazon. I’m curious to see if the Green Neons are just as shy when they’re a school of 15 instead of the 5 I currently have (started with 10, 9 made it through QT, and now I’m down to 5). I’ll know in a few weeks when the new batch are through QT and are added to the display!

I know pygmy cories prefer cooler temperatures, so that is why I've been keeping it lower; but I would be willing to keep my tank at 23 or 24 c year round. I wouldn't want to go higher than that, honestly. 

I am trying to find a schooling fish that isn't shy haha. My pygmy cories are active during feeding time and if I have my hand in the water (trimming plants, moving things around, even gravel vaccing) but otherwise they hide a bit. I don't mind this at all, I love my pygmy cories. But I would also like a little more movement in my tank.

My other thing is a want a fish that is small - 2 or 3 inches maximum, ideally smaller. Finally, I was hoping for tetras over rasboras because I want the fish to have a South American origin (for no particular reason tbh. My aquarium isn't an Amazonia biotope, I just want to make my life harder I suppose!). So, to summarize my question: what small active tetra species do you recommend for my tank? Color / appearance isn't too important to me, as long as they stay small.

On 5/30/2024 at 8:52 AM, clownbaby said:

Yes - it is always ironic to me that people do not support wild-caught fish, yet they will purchase many foods that directly lead to deforestation.

I agree especially since some hobbyists buy wild caught species for conservation purposes keeping certain types of fish around for future generations

On 5/30/2024 at 9:00 AM, clownbaby said:

small active tetra species do you recommend for my tank? Color / appearance isn't too important to me, as long as they stay small.

Do you know what kinds of tetras your local fish store stocks usually?

• Like 1

On 5/30/2024 at 9:48 AM, JE47 said:

I agree especially since some hobbyists buy wild caught species for conservation purposes keeping certain types of fish around for future generations

Do you know what kinds of tetras your local fish store stocks usually?

neons, cardinals, green neons. Sometimes they'll have others but they're a pretty mediocre petco unfortunately

An important aspect is being wild caught or tank raised.

If I am not mistaken, cardinals are primarily wc or raised in captivity but in the wilds. Green neons are directly wc.

Neons are commonly tank raised but can be hard to find a healthy stock. Wild caught fish may have issues adapting and can be finicky. Also are prone to parasites and such considerably more. Sometimes I come across a very good looking stock of these fish, but mostly it is just bad. I have seen many batches of cardinals dying when I visited a store and saw newly came stocks. Usually the ones we see that make it, the ones that stay alive and if quarantined, survives the qt.

Personally, I am not a fan of wildcaught fish in general just for the pet keeping purposes, especially if there is an option for tank raised one. I always thought, it would be very limiting for fish that enjoys very wide swimming space and great conditions in the wild and end up in a small fish tank at home at some point of its life. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

@Cory put out a video explaining why wild caught is extremely important. There are many people that depend upon this trade to feed their families. Some fish go through a dry season and will inevitably die unless collected by this trade. There are pro’s and con’s to everything except pineapple on pizza, that’s always bad. 

• Haha 2
  • Love 1

On 5/30/2024 at 12:00 PM, clownbaby said:

I am trying to find a schooling fish that isn't shy haha.

I have green neon tetras in 2 different tanks.  I have a group of 14 in a 29 gallon tank and a group of 6 in a 20 high.

I can always see them readily swimming around in both tanks….  They are not hiding in either tank.  Sometimes they are scattered all over the tanks, sometimes they congregate.  At least the ones I have, I would not classify as shy in any way…

• Like 1