ELI5: why can’t you mix cichlids

RovingGinger

ELI5: Explain Like I’m Five 

From what I have read the rule is definitely never mix African and American cichlids. Don’t mix African cichlids from different lakes. Don’t mix central and South American Cichlids. 

Some of the logic is water parameters which makes sense to me, and some of it is just some of these fish are more aggressive or can fit in each other’s mouths. That makes sense too. I wouldn’t try to breed discus in the same tank as like, an aggressive rock-hard water cichlid.

But for instance, I have multifasciatus in one tank. I have kribensis in another. And I have another tank with hybrid parrot things, a severum, and angelfish. The tanks are basically identical aside from occupants. Is there any reason like, the kribensis that don’t pair up and the angels that don’t pair up can’t be housed in the same aquarium at some point? 

B2B7F354-466C-4434-9A2F-B8EBA604D0C5.jpeg.650324d2e899b4484465c1ae18fa0170.jpeg

Derp tax. 

15 minutes ago, RovingGinger said:

... the rule is definitely never mix African and American cichlids. Don’t mix African cichlids from different lakes. Don’t mix central and South American Cichlids.

I don't know, it didn't show up when I googled  it.

image.png.ee2a42cc0e9a2afc957a1d3629441ac6.png

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Ken Burke said:

@RovingGinger just 🤔 thinking.  Facebook just is not a reliable source of information, just too many people giving opinions as fact.  

That was a bit of a joke but from what I’ve gleaned from a variety of sources is that the mix is a no-no. I just don’t see a reason (beyond basic compatibility in size and water) 

• Sad 1

I think the opinion, though sometimes strong enough to come across as a rule, to not mix cichlids from different areas comes mostly from bad experiences. In a lot of cases it won't work out. Sometimes it will though, and that's great!

Cichlids communicate with eachother is various ways, acoustically, visually, sensory, but the way a mbuna cichlid communicates social status and hierarchy, or displays territorial aggression may differ from the way a Central American cichlid does.  Think of it as having fish in a tank that don't speak the same language. Sure, it may work, but there is bound to be some misunderstandings. 

1 hour ago, Lynze said:

I think the opinion, though sometimes strong enough to come across as a rule, to not mix cichlids from different areas comes mostly from bad experiences. In a lot of cases it won't work out. Sometimes it will though, and that's great!

Cichlids communicate with eachother is various ways, acoustically, visually, sensory, but the way a mbuna cichlid communicates social status and hierarchy, or displays territorial aggression may differ from the way a Central American cichlid does.  Think of it as having fish in a tank that don't speak the same language. Sure, it may work, but there is bound to be some misunderstandings. 

Is the difference in ability to communicate much more impactful than the difference between cichlids and for lack of a better word, “dumber” fish? For instance I have yo-yo loaches with angelfish. They clearly don’t communicate beyond the basics of “I could eat you” and “I want to eat that thing you’re eating”.  No real social intricacies between the two groups at all. But they seem to work because of compatibility in overall size and ability to cause harm and aggression/boisterousness. 

• Like 1

I think it IS mostly water parameters and aggression issues. The OTHER thing I have read is that some (mostly African?) cichlids can cross breed, and there is concern over hybridizing because of loss of pure genetic lines.

That is a controversial issue...clearly we selectively breed animals of all kinds, creating hybrids, and even genetically modify animals. I think this is a purist thing with a common sense solution that is much like breeding a dog or whatever--don't accidentally crossbreed your fish and create a mutt and then try to pass it off as a purebred. It isn't as if there is a registry for fish that is closely policed, so I suspect that lends to the passionate arguments.

• Like 1

Territorial behavior and level of aggression has a lot to do with whether or not it could work.  Individual personality plays a big part as well though.  I often keep Central and South American cichlids together. I've had it work for a couple of years and ended up having to separate when it no longer works. 

A lot of people have issues with Pseudotropheus crabros to the point of having to rehome and warn people away from keeping them whenever they get a chance. That has not been my experience. My Bumblebee cichlid is the most laid back easy going and personable fish in the tank. I know that's not the typical experience and a lot of people end up with psychopathic terrors. It goes back to the "collective experience" that it tends not to work rather than the more rare handful of experiences that do work. Good cichlid keeping advice is to always have a spare tank and a backup plan, regardless of how you choose to mix and match them 😊 You never know when someone is going to decide that they want to be the boss. 

20201110_134320.jpg.33a57a1ebbca3b37e0f0b07d403205e5.jpg

19 minutes ago, Daniel said:

If someone tells me I 'cannot' do it, then instantly that is the thing I want to do.

I say 'darn the torpedoes' (excuse my French) and do what you want.

No matter what it will be a learning experience.

I am the same way! I have an itch to understand why it cannot work or even, if it does indeed work.

I was told by many that I cannot have multiple male dwarf gouramis in the same tank. This proved true in a 10 gallon but was proven false in a 20long. It seems space is the issue. They are even less aggressive with eachother now in a 55g!

I've also found that dwarf gouramis will be aggressive towards other fish in a 10g but, if you add MORE fish, this aggression ceases. I have a dwarf gourami that was quite mean to my two adult platies but I added in their juvenile children adding up to a total of 15 platies and now he's as peaceful as can be.

I could go on and on!

• Like 1

I think if you're willing to observe their behavior, recognize if it's not working, and react accordingly, by all means, experiment. Mix away, learn everything there is to learn, absolutely. I'm not at all against learning and experiencing, it's one of the best things about the hobby. 🙂 But.... spare tank and a backup plan. I'm not a big fan of policing the hobby, which is why this forum is so much more enjoyable than any other I've been a part of in the past. There should be no specific "rules" to fish keeping. 

• Like 2

In my 55 gallon I have an OB peacock, two angels, two electric blue acara, and a pair of kribensis. I believe if all of your fish are of a mellow temperament, they should be fine. I wouldn’t put jewel cichlids with anything, or auratus. The angels hang near the surface, the kribensis near the bottom and the acara in the middle.

One thing I've heard in the past is that sometimes dominance/submission signals from one species won't correctly translate to a species from another geographic area, which could lead to misunderstandings and excess aggression. I don't know how valid that is considering I heard that many years ago and I haven't really experimented much with mixing cichlids, but thought it was interesting at least.