Share Your Most Elusive Fish

NOLANANO

The sleepy fish thread got me thinking that it would be fun for everyone to post a pic of their most elusive fish in their tank(s).

mine are my Julii Cory Cats that almost always stay hidden. I see my plecos FAR more often than I see these guys.  The only time I get to really see them is if I sit a few feet away from the tank and don’t move. ANY movement and they scurry off to the back to hide. I was at my tank for 45 minutes and managed to only get one usable picture of a single fish lol.

E80D98F3-8B41-4816-9AEB-67143BA18BEB.jpeg

Edited by NOLANANO
  • Like 3

These new-to-me apistos are the most hidey fish I have right now, I think.  I've also got a bristlenose in my discus tank that is extremely good at hiding and even at the fully drained stage of a 90% water change after I added her, I could not find her.  I kept checking under the driftwood and behind the filter thinking she might have sucked onto the glass and stayed there above the water.  Finally on the 10th time I lifted up the driftwood she parachuted off and into the last inch of water. 😄  

That's just where she hangs out, so now I know where to find her so she's less elusive. 😄

image.jpeg.9c01c45af3b5f743c557739f8d94162a.jpeg

• Like 4

I had a black moor that hid.  So much so that my son named him Waldo, as in Where's Waldo?  Without attaching to the back of the wood, he was quite elusive.  He was that way for maybe two years.  And interestingly, I never saw him feed.  Pellets would be raining down around him, and he wouldn't eat.  Must have at some point because he's 12 now...

• Like 2

Mine are my bumble bee catfish. They do not ever come out when there is light. Even a flashlight sends them running. I have swim through caves and tunnels positioned for them so I can see a silhouette. That’s how I know the are ok. 
They are fat and happy. I inspect every time I vacuum and remove their caves so they are forced to show themselves. 

66B67972-5D84-4018-8505-169E40CD25B6.jpeg

75E6D8AD-366F-4507-919A-165F14D2EBE7.jpeg

2FD1265C-DA23-488D-8E6D-DEB970A50530.jpeg

BF63930E-2558-4C8D-A231-ED7551254673.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

• 2 months later...

My Otos, as much as I love them. It was best put by my 12 year old nephew who was over and eagerly inspecting each of my 6 tanks. When he got to the tank where pretty much only Otos exist he said "I'm not convinced there are any fish in this tank." ....and just to prove their point I went and tried to get a pic for this post. Nope. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

My clown pleco in my 100 G nanofish tank without a doubt and I have some pretty elusive fish.  This pic is from May 29 this year.  Previous sighting from June 4, 2022.  There might have been a sighting between there where I failed to get a pic but it really is that seldom that I see him.  I try to get a pic every time I see him.

IMG_4930.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Love 1

On 6/14/2023 at 9:46 PM, Odd Duck said:

My clown pleco in my 100 G nanofish tank without a doubt and I have some pretty elusive fish.  This pic is from May 29 this year.  Previous sighting from June 4, 2022.  There might have been a sighting between there where I failed to get a pic but it really is that seldom that I see him.  I try to get a pic every time I see him.

IMG_4930.jpeg

@nabokovfan87 look at the cutie 

• Like 1

On 6/14/2023 at 11:46 AM, Odd Duck said:

IMG_4930.jpeg

I hope there is a calendar somewhere with a little pleco sticker for the days you saw the clowns! 😂

Why are they such awesome fish that just love to be elusive!!!  I'm going to go have to go look for mine now.... one moment......

So I found them! But i was staring at the shadow under the wood and it didn't look like she was there until I got the light and she adjusted herself a little bit.  Luigi had her nose peeking out of the sand cave she has under the wood and she's doing awesome today 🙂