A hobbyist walks into Aquarium Coop...

nabokovfan87

Alright, I have a challenge!

You're very, very limited on funds but you do have $50 or so to spend at the store.  If you were at the store and that was in your pocket, what would you spend it on?  Not what do you NEED, but what do you WANT.

For me....  I would hope to find some eye catching scraps of wood, glue, plants (moss or anubias), and maybe some white clouds or something.  Anything remaining go towards some Amano shrimp!

I would look for a funky fish species or variety that I don’t typically see or a plant that isn’t available on the website.  I’m lucky that I can get loads of stuff locally, so I would tend to be very picky.  Even at ACO.  Plus I’d have to fly it back or ship it to myself.

On 10/19/2022 at 6:07 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Alright, I have a challenge!

You're very, very limited on funds but you do have $50 or so to spend at the store.  If you were at the store and that was in your pocket, what would you spend it on?  Not what do you NEED, but what do you WANT.

For me....  I would hope to find some eye catching scraps of wood, glue, plants (moss or anubias), and maybe some white clouds or something.  Anything remaining go towards some Amano shrimp!

Any cool betta or 6 really beautiful tetras. 

Also stock up on Easy Green and Root Tabs if I'm ever across the pond, trying to get to the next Aquashella to hopefully meet some members!

• Love 1

On 10/19/2022 at 9:32 AM, Pepere said:

I got to say, I know $50.00 is not much money anymore, but in my mind it is…

I remember working for $2.10 an hour.  I remember buying a coke from the vending machine with a quarter.  I remember buying Penny Candy.  I remember buying a whole pizza for $1.10. I remember getting a cheeseburger, fries and a coke at .mcDonalds and getting change back on a dollar.

I remember the little rubber change holders and how a full one of those was really something…I remember seeing a fifty dollar bill and being wowed by it… and a Benjamin!… Really Wow!!

I remember buying a 6 year old used car with 70,000 miles on it for $2,500.00.

My first "job" was working for my father and his partner in the hay business, when I was around 13.  It was almost 50 years ago, so I don't remember how much I was making when I started, but I know it wasn't over $1.50 per hour, and may have been less.

Edited by JettsPapa
  • Like 1

On 10/19/2022 at 4:32 PM, Pepere said:

I got to say, I know $50.00 is not much money anymore, but in my mind it is…

I remember working for $2.10 an hour.  I remember buying a coke from the vending machine with a quarter.  I remember buying Penny Candy.  I remember buying a whole pizza for $1.10. I remember getting a cheeseburger, fries and a coke at .mcDonalds and getting change back on a dollar.

I remember the little rubber change holders and how a full one of those was really something…I remember seeing a fifty dollar bill and being wowed by it… and a Benjamin!… Really Wow!!

I remember buying a 6 year old used car with 70,000 miles on it for $2,500.00.

Wow! Sorry if this question is a bit personal, but how old are you?

On 10/19/2022 at 9:52 AM, JettsPapa said:

My first "job" was working for my father and his partner in the hay business, when I was around 13.  It was almost 50 years ago, so I don't remember how much I was making when I started, but I know it wasn't over $1.50 per hour, and may have been less.

So with my $50, I'll take 24 hours of JettsPapa loading hay for me and I'll let him keep the change. 🙂

It's amazing what's happened to our money!  My first job was $7.50/hr and I was making more than $2 above minimum wage.  But I'm only 38, so less seasoned than some of you. 🙂

On topic - I think it would be merch stuff, most likely.  I don't really need anything aquarium related at the moment.  Otherwise, I've been looking at the new heater and the battery powered air pump from them is pretty nice, having another of those wouldn't be a bad thing if the power ever goes out.

On 10/19/2022 at 11:30 AM, Cory said:

With a budget of $50, I'd only buy anubias. Cause I could grow it with probably just fish poop and over time I could get enough to trade for other things.

*taps temple* Cory's playing the long game... I like it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In terms of want, those gorgeous midnight rams would be the top of my list, though at $35 each (iirc), $50 would only get me about one and a half, lol, so maybe not the most economical choice.

If someone handed me $50 and let me loose in the store, though, I'd probably come out with the hoodie and some java moss, with some long looks at the anubias and crypts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/19/2022 at 11:42 AM, jwcarlson said:

*taps temple* Cory's playing the long game... I like it.

LOL, exactly.  This is why he is the one doing all the big brain thinking!  I totally love his selection though.  I enjoy anubias in all it's many forms.

ORD, but very much enjoying this!

• Like 1

If I was being practical I'd be buying some anubias because I've decided to replace the amazon sword in my kitchen tank with anubias so I don't have to keep ripping out swords when they outgrow the space. Also interested to see if ditching the sword frees up some nutrients for 1) stem plants/moss/crypts already in there or 2) just more duckweed, womp womp.

If I was being "what the heck?! it's fun money!" I'd probably get a hoodie.

My first paying gig was $1 an hour to babysit two kids, so when I started earning $3.35 at Dairy Queen, I thought I was ROLLING in dough. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Probably a bunch of whatever plant I can get that’s fast growing, plus maybe a few mosses or rhizomes but save enough for a few rcs and guppies for a colony. 

On 10/19/2022 at 10:32 AM, Pepere said:

I remember getting a cheeseburger, fries and a coke at .mcDonalds and getting change back on a dollar.

Ironically, during a class field trip when my bus stopped to get dinner at a rest area the most expensive option was McDonalds. Didn’t bring enough with me to get something there, but Papa Gino’s is the best pizza chain and no one can change my mind. I’ll bet a Fluval 3.0 on it!

On 10/20/2022 at 4:48 PM, FlyingFishKeeper said:

Probably a bunch of whatever plant I can get that’s fast growing, plus maybe a few mosses or rhizomes but save enough for a few rcs and guppies for a colony. 

Ironically, during a class field trip when my bus stopped to get dinner at a rest area the most expensive option was McDonalds. Didn’t bring enough with me to get something there, but Papa Gino’s is the best pizza chain and no one can change my mind. I’ll bet a Fluval 3.0 on it!

Just got my first Anubia ever today! Would that count as a fast growing plant?

image.jpg

This got me thinking. Could one buy @nabokovfan87’s list for $50? I think so, but prices of aquarium wood in the Seattle area are really high, maybe $25 for a small but nice piece. Take that off the list and you could walk away with a nice haul. 
Anubias: $10

Moss: $10

2 white clouds at about $4: $8

2 Amano shrimp at $7: $14

tax: $6.30

Total: $48.30 - you’ll still have over a dollar left to add a pipette for $.99  because you know you’ll eventually need one.