How did you choose your username?

TheSwissAquarist

My oldest son and I were playing around with a cheap electronic music generator… he wanted to start a YouTube channel… I insisted it needed to be about something worthwhile, not just a random channel… we found this folksy electronic riff, decided to do an aquarium / fish channel… and came up with FISH + FOLK. That’s the story.

Here’s his first video, with that riff…

https://youtu.be/9fOhhfXxyjA

He’s since tapped out of keeping fish. Meanwhile, his old man got really into it!

He’s into soccer and Birding now…

0DECEADF-360E-4B66-91F3-14727500B509.jpeg.db045e6b49a5bb4f28a57fd80f6de334.jpeg

C9296F5F-4D36-425F-A27B-9A40AA089DD9.jpeg.328c8f9524db8f13f4c46f08e783f328.jpeg

907A63E4-3B25-45D5-B648-4C292FC7C5D3.jpeg.ef0768d73baca795f031d4278a4fb924.jpeg

49229DB7-D5DC-4E1D-86C1-0BC2FCADE0BB.jpeg.36732a9e6d7e685b67cb0026a43c8fc9.jpeg

3B2EDB1F-290F-4BFC-B671-B6A64F87CD3A.jpeg.62919e4e8def951936b4e23273f5561d.jpeg

AF074C79-3E84-4E1B-A274-6796BFDECC39.jpeg.ac0610910d221c3f33260ab3deca616b.jpeg

F1C6FCC6-8081-4994-B003-310F8AC0E4B8.jpeg.9d77194f11c63985574ae54f85dba56d.jpeg

• Like 4

well ya see, i was just sitting here and couldnt think of anything, so i just rolled my face around on the keyboard, and its what popped up!😎 on a serious note, im left handed, and last name starts with an O. ive used the same name on every forum ive ever been on.

On 10/15/2022 at 11:19 PM, lefty o said:

well ya see, i was just sitting here and couldnt think of anything, so i just rolled my face around on the keyboard, and its what popped up!😎 on a serious note, im left handed, and last name starts with an O. ive used the same name on every forum ive ever been on.

Hey I'm a lefty too...😆

I am Chick-In-of-TheSea because I hold 6 certs in scuba diving- open water, advanced, rescue, nitrox, cavern, and first aid/cpr.

E10D013B-7AB2-4AE6-8804-FA8118E7EDA5.jpeg

I log them all, I have 123 dives to date. My last dive was in Key Largo at John Pennekamp. I plan to go diving again in the next month before the holidays.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 6
  • Love 2

When I set up this account I was a new grandfather, and my grandson Jett (short for Jethro) calls me Papa (the paternal grandfather has been called Papa in my family for at least four generations).  That's where mine comes from.

Since then he has a baby sister named Violet, and another on the way, so at some point I suppose I should edit the name to include them.

Edited by JettsPapa
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It wasn't taken and then it stuck.

It's my game handle pretty much everywhere. A long long time ago, I made a character in Dark Age of Camelot (DAoC) around 2002 (came it at the first expansion) and I wanted something short but the game required game names be unique and 4 letters long (IIRC) so I randomly typed in letters that included vowels and "Zeli" was the first one that wasn't taken. When Twitter launched, Zeli was already taken so I added on the "Beli" part and it was available... That was around 2009. I've been Zeli or Zelibeli on any online community ever since. Because it had no meaning, it is rarely taken and if it is, it's usually because I already made an account and forgot about it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

In my head at least, it's complicated. I often refer to aquariums as tanks, I had recently set up my first planted tank. My latest attempt to grow aquarium plants was tanking, An older buddy of mine had mentioned getting tanked up at the gas station. (or was it a bar?).  I spotted a trend.

On 11/14/2022 at 4:35 PM, Tanked said:

In my head at least, it's complicated. I often refer to aquariums as tanks, I had recently set up my first planted tank. My latest attempt to grow aquarium plants was tanking, An older buddy of mine had mentioned getting tanked up at the gas station. (or was it a bar?).  I spotted a trend.

Why not, eh? 🙂

Revolutionary story so buckle your britches fishes; right so I took my name, and put it into the box for your username. Revolutionary isn’t it?

On 10/15/2022 at 7:25 PM, Katherine said:

You're not gonna believe this one... It's my name. I hate having to come up with usernames so when it let me use my name I just went with it.

No. Wow I would never guess your username was your actual name. Mine definitely isn’t, like who in their right mind would name their kid Aiden, especially with an e instead of a

• Haha 1

On 11/14/2022 at 11:10 AM, Aiden Carter said:

Revolutionary story so buckle your britches fishes; right so I took my name, and put it into the box for your username. Revolutionary isn’t it?

No. Wow I would never guess your username was your actual name. Mine definitely isn’t, like who in their right mind would name their kid Aiden, especially with an e instead of a

have you seen some of the names, and spelling people give their kids??!!!😲

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 11/14/2022 at 6:10 PM, Aiden Carter said:

Any more revolutionary and Che Guevara would dance a jig!

I knew a kid who was called Vitor. Why leave out the ‘c’ in Victor???

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 9:29 AM, lefty o said:

have you seen some of the names, and spelling people give their kids??!!!😲

I always say, if my parents had to name me something weird (really it's just foreign), at least they did me the solid of spelling it like it sounds:

Anjum: On-jum 😅

But really, that only works if you hear it first then see it spelled. When (American) people see it spelled first, they automatically want to say "Anne-jum". I've even had people continue to say "Anne-jum" even after being corrected once or twice. Then I just let it go, Anne-jum it is 🤣

On 11/15/2022 at 12:19 AM, Anjum said:

I always say, if my parents had to name me something weird (really it's just foreign), at least they did me the solid of spelling it like it sounds:

Anjum: On-jum 😅

But really, that only works if you hear it first then see it spelled. When (American) people see it spelled first, they automatically want to say "Anne-jum". I've even had people continue to say "Anne-jum" even after being corrected once or twice. Then I just let it go, Anne-jum it is 🤣

Dare you to change your username to Anne-jum 🤣!

Id be very interested in knowing how @Flumpweesel chose hers ( forgive me if I’m wrong about gender!).

• Haha 1

On 11/18/2022 at 8:59 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Dare you to change your username to Anne-jum 🤣!

Believe me, that's how 95% of people are already "saying" it in their head 🤣 

I had a video meeting with someone the other day & we went through the exact scenario above. Anne-jum it is 🤷

• Haha 1

Was using just my name for a bit, but wanting to be different, decided to use my nick name. Was doing a little inshore fishing one day, when I stumbled over a honey hole full of sugar bass. Caught around 20 in 10 minutes (all cpr'd). My deck hand buddy, started calling me sugar bass, and well the name stuck. Surprising number of joes out there, so the nickname helped differentiate me, so now I'm sugar, sugar joe or sugar bass joe out there.

• Like 1