Python Hook tip

MickS77

Great tip. Genius actually.  I use fluval stratum in most of my tanks and its extremely light. I have tried tons of ways to stop it from flying all over the place and creating a crater when I do water changes. Will definitely be giving this a try. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Jon G said:

Great tip. Genius actually.  I use fluval stratum in most of my tanks and its extremely light. I have tried tons of ways to stop it from flying all over the place and creating a crater when I do water changes. Will definitely be giving this a try. 

Thank you! If it's still too much flow for you try stuffing a wad of filter floss in the end of aquaclear tube, that might stop it even more from blowing straight down. 

• Like 1

I rigged up something similar. My big angelfish tank is the source of water for all of my other tanks when doing water changes. Fortunately the top of that big tank is at about 7 ft and all my other tanks are between 30" and 60"s.

I used a piece of 1 inch flexible tubing and the outflow outlet from an undergravel filter with sponge cut to fit in the intake. I also put an on/off cutoff switch on both ends and this has simplified doing water changes quite a bit.

890772372_Pythonhookrotated.jpg.d50ecbf2370a01dd1558046a85df907b.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrators

I want to have these made with a diffusing method built in. Basically a T on the end where the water renters would be great.  I'm always confused when a manufacturer doesn't update their product when the evidence is clear there is a big user base modifying it. They could offer two options, but I think they'd find everyone prefers it with some type of diffusion. 

6 minutes ago, Cory said:

I want to have these made with a diffusing method built in. Basically a T on the end where the water renters would be great.  I'm always confused when a manufacturer doesn't update their product when the evidence is clear there is a big user base modifying it. They could offer two options, but I think they'd find everyone prefers it with some type of diffusion. 

I agree but it always leaves a business like yours an opportunity to innovate 💰

• Like 1

It just dawned on me that ya'll are sending water out the hook end. For me I have got the water going the other way. For me the hook is the origin point for siphoning water. I never thought about putting the hook on the tank receiving the water. I need to order another hook so I can have one on both ends. I can't believe I didn't think of that!

Dang!

Out of stock temporarily at the Co-op. Oh well, it will me give time to work up a bigger order. Probably better to have bunch items in one box, than 12 items coming in 12 boxes. I usually am such an impulse buyer. When I think of something, I just order it so I don't have to remember to do it latter. I think I will write this down in my Aquarium Record Keeping Journal that I am attempting to keep 🙂.

I had an extra Aquaclear tube laying around and tried this during water changes yesterday. It worked perfectly in my 75 gallon. I stuffed filter floss in it for smaller tanks and that worked great as well. Thanks for the tip! 

As a side note, I just LOVE the positivity on this forum. I have been on a few other forums that just have nasty negative vibes. I hope this one keeps bringing in helpful and happy members to the community and keeps spreading the love of the hobby. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 years later...
On 7/20/2020 at 5:51 AM, shkote said:

I had an extra Aquaclear tube laying around and tried this during water changes yesterday. It worked perfectly in my 75 gallon. I stuffed filter floss in it for smaller tanks and that worked great as well. Thanks for the tip! 

As a side note, I just LOVE the positivity on this forum. I have been on a few other forums that just have nasty negative vibes. I hope this one keeps bringing in helpful and happy members to the community and keeps spreading the love of the hobby. 

This is the only social media I participate in.  I don't like it anywhere else.  🙂

On 7/19/2020 at 1:21 PM, Daniel said:

I rigged up something similar. My big angelfish tank is the source of water for all of my other tanks when doing water changes. Fortunately the top of that big tank is at about 7 ft and all my other tanks are between 30" and 60"s.

I used a piece of 1 inch flexible tubing and the outflow outlet from an undergravel filter with sponge cut to fit in the intake. I also put an on/off cutoff switch on both ends and this has simplified doing water changes quite a bit.

How do you get it going, or do you just allow gravity to start it?