Unconventional Decor

Bill Smith

• Administrators

I'm actually super into this. I think it's really cool when people make different themes. It brings so much interest for me as I've seen convention wood/rock/plant setups a billion times. 

I put part of my lawn in a tank I setup earlier this week.

PlantedTank.jpg.33543bc111c28b902f13aab4d2e68b7c.jpg

But from an aquascaping point of view, it was a conventional part of my lawn as I think the plants in the 2 chunks of sod I dug up will grow nicely immersed. I was concerned initially that there might some motor oil in there (as this is next to where I park my car) but so far no motor oil!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Cory said:

I'm actually super into this. I think it's really cool when people make different themes. It brings so much interest for me as I've seen convention wood/rock/plant setups a billion times. 

Thanks Cory. Thinking about tanks as "dioramas" keeps it fresh for me. 

My first "diorama" tank was like 15 years ago, I had Roman columns in a 10-gallon with crushed coral substrate, and I had found tiny 1" tall figurines of Captain Kirk and Spock Scotty to go with it. 🙂

Tells a story, you know? 🙂

Edited by Bill Smith
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bill Smith said:

My first "diorama" tank was like 15 years ago, I had Roman columns in a 10-gallon with crushed coral substrate, and I had found tiny 1" tall figurines of Captain Kirk and Spock Scotty to go with it. 🙂

OMG, I found old pictures! Circa 2007, back when I cared about saltwater over fresh. How little I knew...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Bill Smith
  • Like 6

On 7/18/2020 at 12:11 PM, Bill Smith said:

So there you have it. What unconventional decor have you put in your tanks?

I used to think that I didn't like artificial decor but the universe is working hard to prove me wrong.   I love your themed tanks.  They're brilliant!  It helps that I'm a Trek and Star Wars fan.  I recognized the LOTR statues as well.  Couldn't figure out why you called it Atlantis at first.  😉 

My son is a big fan of castles in aquariums and insisted that I include one in my betta tank.  I have to confess that it's grown on me and will follow Rowan to his upgraded tank this weekend.  It's just a store bought ornament, nothing amazing.  But it's the first non-natural thing than I can remember having in one of my aquariums.  

As a bonus, when I wiggled my finger in front of the tank to coax him out, Rowan popped out of the little hole near the bottom edge of the castle.  I had no idea that he liked to hang out inside it.  That was a fun discovery!

You're definitely inspiring.  And while I'll probably keep my little slice of nature in my main tank we might have some fun with any tanks I add in the future. 

20200720_161656.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I particularly like the combination of a really natural jungle scape with one unexpected figurine or a "ruin" half hidden in it. That is what I like about Endor and Dagoba--you could just see a nicely scaped tank, and then there is a little Easter egg in there....and suddenly everything has more depth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, H.K.Luterman said:

I love these! Super fun. I always worry about things leeching into the water, but it seems like most resin/plastic figures would be ok? 

Just my opinion, but I think dilution takes care of any real concerns here. Unless I have something that's going to release enough stuff into the water that I would see visible decomposition, I generally don't worry about it for freshwater.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bill Smith said:

Just my opinion, but I think dilution takes care of any real concerns here. Unless I have something that's going to release enough stuff into the water that I would see visible decomposition, I generally don't worry about it for freshwater.

There's a t-rex skull I've been wanting to add to my bichir tank, but it's made for reptiles and not aquariums. But now I think I might give it a go. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/21/2020 at 10:13 AM, Bill Smith said:

This is amazing! Have you ever tried things made of polystone? I wanted to do a lost-world / sunken temple scape with some Egyptian statuettes I found but was unsure.

So much inspiration, so few tanks ☺️

• 4 months later...