Non-Fish Pets

Cinnebuns

On 7/15/2023 at 9:51 PM, Odd Duck said:

IMG_5004.jpeg

That face! 😂 Zoey is all white and I see that face all day long.  It's so cool to see the expression on pups faces when they are trying to communicate with you.

On 7/15/2023 at 9:51 PM, Odd Duck said:

IMG_5006.jpeg

The big question is who was in the chair first! Pups are awesome.  Pets are awesome.  Little bits of joy.

• Like 2

Hey i can contribute!

I only have two dogs, though often toy with an idea of third, but not in a city :)) given we live in a rental, this curbs my enthusiasm with all the turtles, guinea pigs and whatnots i want. Like sheep. A llama!! Or a baby elephant

IMG_20230604_164810.jpg

IMG-20230520-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20230520-WA0002.jpg

IMG_20230526_084236.jpg

• Haha 1
  • Love 6

On 7/16/2023 at 2:10 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

That face! 😂 Zoey is all white and I see that face all day long.  It's so cool to see the expression on pups faces when they are trying to communicate with you

She is so stinking cute!  Not always clear what she wants but always has an opinion.

On 7/16/2023 at 2:10 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

The big question is who was in the chair first! Pups are awesome.  Pets are awesome.  Little bits of joy

It’s always the big guy first, then she picks her spot around or on him and settles in whether he wants her there or not.  He’s so tolerant that he rarely moves away and I know from first hand experience that her full weight on a tiny foot is annoying as all get out until she’s settled.  She prefers on top vs. besides most of the time.  She’s something else, for sure.  But they do bring joy and laughter.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I also want to add that I lost my middle aged kitty, my love bug, my cuddle muffin to a thrown clot and kidney failure extremely suddenly last December… we ended up with two kittens to add to the family, Pandora and Thalia. They’re both almost a year old. The old man tabby is my oldest cat, Theo, who will turn 19 in October.

IMG_3084.jpeg

IMG_3086.jpeg

IMG_3038.jpeg

IMG_3042.jpeg

IMG_3043.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Love 4

On 7/17/2023 at 11:28 AM, Guppysnail said:

@laritheloud your chickens have grown so much. Those are some extremely healthy beautiful girls 🤗💕

Chickens are wonderful creatures. I don’t care what anyone says, I think most animals are much smarter than people give them credit for, fish and chickens included. We can’t understand them as readily as a mammal because they are so different from us but when you get to know them and watch how they think and behave it’s so beautiful.

betsy is one of my best girls - she’s the black australorp. Cuddles and clucks with me every day. Eleanor the speckled Sussex is chatty and loves to hound me for treats, super quirky. Gertie the egger is very calm and a steadying head hen.

we just incorporated our new chicks to the flock and they are doing so well respecting the hens. No visible damage and I am monitoring them, but very happy with how it’s going!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I’m sorry for your loss @laritheloud
Your new kitties look right at home!

The chickens are gorgeous. Do you guys know I was attacked by a rooster this year while visiting my friend? He snuck up behind me and WHAM! This is Blackie

IMG_3698.jpeg.06fe2d9a3c4efd378c18909decf4a4d3.jpeg

and his 2 girlfriends. Here is 7 days later after “the incident” 

70485107903__89CF9663-EE1F-4AC7-B547-DDC3158C3D09.jpeg.1c2aa3d2bfd9b877bd663c5d773d60cf.jpeg

But I have mad respect for Blackie. He defended the chicks from a hawk, and just recently he stood up to.. get this.. a black bear that was in the yard. And he wasn’t quiet about it either! The bear was actually fixated on him and staying still, not sure what to do, and Blackie kept moving forward toward the bear and yelling at him.

Here is a bonus pic of Blackbeard. My friend told me that Blackbeard would have defended me from Blackie if he was closeby.

IMG_3697.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 3

On 7/17/2023 at 6:09 PM, laritheloud said:

I sure do! Expanded the flock this year too ❤️

IMG_3081.jpeg

IMG_3052.jpeg

IMG_3054.jpeg

IMG_3064.jpeg

IMG_3050.jpeg

They are adorable😍😍 And I loved the grey one the most. What a beauty!

On 7/17/2023 at 6:34 PM, laritheloud said:

Chickens are wonderful creatures. I don’t care what anyone says, I think most animals are much smarter than people give them credit for, fish and chickens included. We can’t understand them as readily as a mammal because they are so different from us but when you get to know them and watch how they think and behave it’s so beautiful.

betsy is one of my best girls - she’s the black australorp. Cuddles and clucks with me every day. Eleanor the speckled Sussex is chatty and loves to hound me for treats, super quirky. Gertie the egger is very calm and a steadying head hen.

we just incorporated our new chicks to the flock and they are doing so well respecting the hens. No visible damage and I am monitoring them, but very happy with how it’s going!

This is very true. Keeping chickens played a huge role for me to go vegan 9 yrs ago. They are super caring and smart. Full of emotions. They literally talk to us just like a cat or dog talks back. 🤍

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 7/17/2023 at 1:01 PM, Lennie said:

They are adorable😍😍 And I loved the grey one the most. What a beauty!

This is very true. Keeping chickens played a huge role for me to go vegan 9 yrs ago. They are super caring and smart. Full of emotions. They literally talk to us just like a cat or dog talks back. 🤍

Aw, thank you. Caring for animals is honestly my joy in this life The older 'grayish' girl with the beard is Gertie, the younger gray chickie with the mohawk/crest is a Crested Opal Legbar named Bobbie, which is a new color variant to the Crested Cream Legbar. My latest batch I picked up from a small local breeder, and they've been doing very well for us.

And they really are caring and smart. I'm not vegan, but I have become very conscious where my food comes from, and I have the privilege of having the ability to be conscious. I'm very lucky to live in the middle of a farming community so I can source pretty much all of my meat, fruit, and veggies from local, ethical, sustainable farms -- and families that I interact with personally. I respect you for going vegan. I tend to do a lot of weightlifting and my kids are very picky eaters, so this house would have a very hard time swinging to plant-only protein sources. Maybe someday when the kids are more grown I'll work on shifting to a more plant based diet, but for now, I'm at peace with our family's choices.

I could never eat my chickens, though. Bless the folks strong enough to raise meat birds because I couldn't do it. Love them too much!

On 7/17/2023 at 12:00 PM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I’m sorry for your loss @laritheloud
Your new kitties look right at home!

The chickens are gorgeous. Do you guys know I was attacked by a rooster this year while visiting my friend? He snuck up behind me and WHAM! This is Blackie

IMG_3698.jpeg.06fe2d9a3c4efd378c18909decf4a4d3.jpeg

and his 2 girlfriends. Here is 7 days later after “the incident” 

70485107903__89CF9663-EE1F-4AC7-B547-DDC3158C3D09.jpeg.1c2aa3d2bfd9b877bd663c5d773d60cf.jpeg

But I have mad respect for Blackie. He defended the chicks from a hawk, and just recently he stood up to.. get this.. a black bear that was in the yard. And he wasn’t quiet about it either! The bear was actually fixated on him and staying still, not sure what to do, and Blackie kept moving forward toward the bear and yelling at him.

Here is a bonus pic of Blackbeard. My friend told me that Blackbeard would have defended me from Blackie if he was closeby.

IMG_3697.jpeg

What a HANDSOME fella -- both of them! Blackie looks like a sweetheart. Sorry he got you but glad it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Roosters can do some damage. I always hear that roosters can be a mixed bag of aggression; some will try to show you who's boss and others are the cuddliest guys ever. We technically don't have an ordinance against keeping roosters where I am, but I don't think it's a good idea for us to have one since we live in town. We're dreaming of retiring to a small hobby farm when the kids leave the nest, though, and then we'll get our large flock of chickens with a rooster. 🙂 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/17/2023 at 2:14 PM, laritheloud said:

Blackie looks like a sweetheart.

Looks are deceiving!  😂

That guy packs a punch!  But he does protect his flock.  Just got word yesterday that 2 roosters have assumed the dominant roles; they pick on him.  So he gets extra treats and loving from my friend.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

On 7/18/2023 at 1:57 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Mopani the stick insect at your service! 

Another praying mantis keeper! Yay! 

This is Boogie, she is my beautiful Orchid mantis. She has been with me since L2, she is almost a year and a half old (which is OLD for a mantis!) 

I also have two ghost mantis but apparently no pictures of them (I'll fix that), but have you ever seen a Peruvian Dragon mantis? I got two, one has passed away, this little one is doing well though. VERY inactive, literally never moves lol. 

And baby Carolina's coming out of one of my oothecas. I raise those, the rest I keep for myself 🙂

IMG20230602163403.jpg

IMG20230421183532.jpg

IMG20230616130800.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 5

I have learned a lot by reading this thread!

1) So many people's homes are just infested with various mammals!  I wish you all luck in your control efforts.

2) Not enough people keep reptiles and amphibians!  I love the darts that @TOtrees's has!  I have a few Oophaga pumilio right now and will be expanding my dart frog vivs in the coming months.  Photo and thread forthcoming (it'll have a few aquariums in it too, don't worry!). 

• Love 5

On 7/18/2023 at 11:51 PM, Goldie Blue said:

Another praying mantis keeper! Yay! 

This is Boogie, she is my beautiful Orchid mantis. She has been with me since L2, she is almost a year and a half old (which is OLD for a mantis!) 

I also have two ghost mantis but apparently no pictures of them (I'll fix that), but have you ever seen a Peruvian Dragon mantis? I got two, one has passed away, this little one is doing well though. VERY inactive, literally never moves lol. 

And baby Carolina's coming out of one of my oothecas. I raise those, the rest I keep for myself 🙂

IMG20230602163403.jpg

IMG20230421183532.jpg

IMG20230616130800.jpg

Those are super pretty! I have a friend who also has a couple of mantises, but I keep stick insects, Not stick mantises! 😅4FD5522C-CC72-4FA0-977D-61F7BD89041C.jpeg.8835d95c9c7efc9ba1a04c52e7705aba.jpeg

Although arguable this shouldn’t be in their terrarium: 594E7C2A-54B8-4EA9-85CB-E33BCE132379.jpeg.dd10e1422b49234c43de778bb802abde.jpeg

Fun fact: in German ‘Praying Mantis’ translates to ‘Gottesanbeterin’ which in turn can be translated back as a female person worshipping god, or as a nun. I’m not sure the nuns in The Sound of Music ate flies tho…😆

Edited by TheSwissAquarist
  • Haha 2