Non-Fish Pets

Cinnebuns

On 8/19/2023 at 9:57 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

10 switchblades for anyone who touches my tummy.

IMG_5170.jpeg

I have one who LOVES tummy rubs. Although he wants up for it when I tried to get a pic just now haha. I'll try later and add a pic of the tummy. This is the tummy rub kitty. 

20230730_010822.jpg.a9bbf2c1fbae0367f8b75303a8fa3a91.jpg

The other kitty, Miko, likes to pretend her toys are rodents and her drinking fountain is a river she can drown them in. I was happy when I realized the liquid on her toys was not urine but water lol. 

20230820_004503.jpg.471f0daca7a33a7b25fc8daa16bfd3de.jpg

On 8/19/2023 at 9:57 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

10 switchblades for anyone who touches my tummy.

IMG_5170.jpeg

And just 10 switch blades?  She won't use her feet too?  My one that doesn't like tummy rubs just bites lol. Sometimes it's hard to tell if its a play bite or a "don't do that" bite cause she does do both.

Not the best pic of her but it has fish tanks in the background. I love when I have this view. Sometimes I have 2 kitties plus the fish tanks. Those are good days!!

20230817_131939.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 4

• 3 weeks later...

These are old pics but I really love rats. If I could, I would have some right now but I don't. This is alexstrasza and keristrasza. Both names are from world of warcraft and conveniently can be shortened to Alex and Keri if I wanted to pretend I'm normal. 

Any other rat fans here?  They are so misunderstood and make amazing pets!

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0040.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 2

On 9/8/2023 at 1:27 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

No thank you.  🙂

Had to fight poisonous spiders just to do a WC today. LOL

That's a big nope here. When I was younger I was scared of spiders I wouldn't even go in a room for a couple of days after I saw a spider in it. Eventually I worked my way up to being able to kill them by spraying them a bunch with perfume or a household cleaner. But even then I was too scared to pick up their dead body. My first day of having my cat he killed and ate a spider for me. It was that day that I realized he's the only man I need in my life. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 9/8/2023 at 8:47 AM, Tanked said:

I raised rabbits, mice, and hamsters as a kid, but rats were a hard NO!  The "they're really big mice" argument didn't work on mom.

It's because there is untrue stigmas against them. They aren't dirty nor do they carry disease yet people still believe this. It's like saying "I won't have a dog because they came from wolves and wolves are mean!"  Rats make much better pets than hamsters, mice or gerbils yet people are more against them. It's odd. Rats will recognize you and form an attachment unlike those other rodents. I would come home and mine would look like little puppy dogs at the door of their cage excited to see me. 

• Like 1

I adore rats!  Especially dumbos - those ears!  And every dumbo rat I’ve ever met is sweet as pie!  Unfortunately I have no more room for enclosures (too many tanks) and have a dog that would love to kill any rats so any escape would 100% end in catastrophe, I’m sure.  So not worth the risk to a little ratto.

Have you seen the rats playing instruments series?  By photographer Ellen van Deelan?  I had seen the pics, told a ratto client about them and next thing I knew they had bought me a calendar of them.  After it was past date and sent it along to a kid about 10 years old that had rats.  He was very happy to get the pictures.  Here’s a link to a UK article about her and them with pics.  Hopefully the link works.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/earthpicturegalleries/5893236/Talented-musical-rats-strike-up-a-tune-with-their-miniature-instruments.html?image=14

She trains them with a touch of jam on the tiny instruments.

Edited by Odd Duck
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

On 9/8/2023 at 2:32 PM, Cinnebuns said:

It's because there is untrue stigmas against them.

That, and because uncaged rodents tend to be destructive.  A lot of people also have a problem with the tail.  We got close to getting a gerbil once. Gerbil tails are shorter, and have fur.  Mom had a serious aversion to anything resembling snakes or worms. A mouse tail was a piece of string but a rat tail, OMG!

On 9/8/2023 at 8:15 PM, Odd Duck said:

I adore rats!  Especially dumbos - those ears!  And every dumbo rat I’ve ever met is sweet as pie!  Unfortunately I have no more room for enclosures (too many tanks) and have a dog that would love to kill any rats so any escape would 100% end in catastrophe, I’m sure.  So not worth the risk to a little ratto.

Have you seen the rats playing instruments series?  By photographer Ellen van Deelan?  I had seen the pics, told a ratto client about them and next thing I knew they had bought me a calendar of them.  After it was past date and sent it along to a kid about 10 years old that had rats.  He was very happy to get the pictures.  Here’s a link to a UK article about her and them with pics.  Hopefully the link works.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/earthpicturegalleries/5893236/Talented-musical-rats-strike-up-a-tune-with-their-miniature-instruments.html?image=14

She trains them with a touch of jam on the tiny instruments.

That's super cool ty for sharing!  I know someone else who posts tons of YouTube videos she does training her rats to do things like play basketball against each other and do obstacle courses. 

• Love 1

OMG OMG OMG!!!!Today a pair of mouning gecko eggs hatched, after 4 months! Or rather, I noticed they hatched, and it must have been within the past 48 hrs. I had given up hope of them hatching after so long. Sadly, the mum died a few weeks after laying them, so these are real 'miracle' babies. 

image.jpeg.e822fea606643219cae722fc4e7f10e0.jpeg

On 9/15/2023 at 6:53 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

We got a catnip banana this week!

*kick kick kick*

I know that look. Take cover now, while you still can.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Love 4

On 9/15/2023 at 2:56 PM, TOtrees said:

OMG OMG OMG!!!!Today a pair of mouning gecko eggs hatched, after 4 months! Or rather, I noticed they hatched, and it must have been within the past 48 hrs. I had given up hope of them hatching after so long. Sadly, the mum died a few weeks after laying them, so these are real 'miracle' babies. 

image.jpeg.e822fea606643219cae722fc4e7f10e0.jpeg

I know that look. Take cover now, while you still can.

Congratulations!!  

My cat miko LOVES to play fetch. Commonly she will drop a toy next to me a run off like a little puppy and wait for me to throw it. One time she dropped a mystery snail in my lap. The poor girl had been laying a clutch at the top and the cat saw an easy to grab "toy."  I didn't throw that one. 

A few days ago she dropped off another "toy" that I not only didn't throw, but was terrified and had so many questions. 

20230915_003926.jpg.34032c8ca47507101ec9270afea8e902.jpg

I'm not sure how a wasp got into my apartment. I'm not sure how it came to be dead. I'm assuming one of the cats did that but idk. Despite it being dead, it took me awhile to get some courage to pick it up with a paper towel. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1