Night video camera to film fishes in 4 foot aquarium ?

anewbie

Is there some sort of cheap video camera that could be setup that would be able to film the fishes during the night? I want to try to determine which fish is attacking what fish during the dead of night. When I shine a light in the tank i can never catch it. 

• Like 2

On 4/4/2022 at 4:41 PM, anewbie said:

Is there some sort of cheap video camera that could be setup that would be able to film the fishes during the night? I want to try to determine which fish is attacking what fish during the dead of night. When I shine a light in the tank i can never catch it. 

Before that … what livestock is in the tank? What are the wounds like? 

On 4/4/2022 at 3:54 PM, Fish Folk said:

Oof! Yikes… very sorry. BNP or L204 maybe. Do loaches do that??! 

Well I suspect it is the bn but i want to actually catch the act. I doubt clown loaches would make that kind of wound and leave the fins without a mark.

getting a eufy or something might be the way to go. There was a camera that cory had mentioned a long time ago as part of a new business he was watching to see how and what they ended up producing. Juwel has some stuff. Go Pro.  The issue is something that does night or does recording. Internal (underwater) vs. exterior.

https://www.aquavu.com/micro-Stealth-4.3

On 4/4/2022 at 4:43 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

getting a eufy or something might be the way to go. There was a camera that cory had mentioned a long time ago as part of a new business he was watching to see how and what they ended up producing. Juwel has some stuff. Go Pro.  The issue is something that does night or does recording. Internal (underwater) vs. exterior.

https://www.aquavu.com/micro-Stealth-4.3

I prefer something external that records either to micro-sd or local network - it over complicates things to put them in my tank - esp with all the plants. The wyze camera might be an option - they have huge security holes but i think for this application it might be fine.

On 4/4/2022 at 6:52 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Yep. Exactly.

But which camera has good night vision. I check gopro and couldn't find a model with good night vision. Can you suggest a specific camera that will stream to local network or sd card ? This will be extremely dark.

On 4/4/2022 at 8:11 PM, Patrick_G said:

Here’s an option, it’s a trail cam for $34

SESERN Mini Trail Game Camera 20MP 1080P, Night Vision Waterproof Hunting Camera with 120°Wide-Angle Motion Advanced Sensor View 0.2s Trigger Time 2.0” LCD for Wildlife Monitoring https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MXLPR39/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_V17MKWXECKY6WJPA2KP0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I wonder if the motion sensor would pick up motion in the tank behind the glass? Or would it trigger too much as fish swam by all the time?

To add to this I'd separate illumination from the camera so you don't get glare.  Any cheap "night vision" camera should work.  Just disable the built in lights and get a cheap ir led light from Amazon.  That'll let you position things without glare on the glass

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 11:13 PM, CT_ said:

To add to this I'd separate illumination from the camera so you don't get glare.  Any cheap "night vision" camera should work.  Just disable the built in lights and get a cheap ir led light from Amazon.  That'll let you position things without glare on the glass

That is an interesting idea.  I have had a fishcam for quite awhile, but the IR function renders it useless straight on, and it isn't useful (no depth) at an angle.

On 4/5/2022 at 11:49 AM, Randall from Texas said:

You're thinking of FLIR, which uses a whole different tech. You're are correct. Won't work well. It can't 'see' through glass.

Other people above mentioned IR; I’m simply pointing out that it won’t work very well. 

I’m very much aware of the differences between image intensification and thermal imaging. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 7:03 PM, anewbie said:

But which camera has good night vision. I check gopro and couldn't find a model with good night vision. Can you suggest a specific camera that will stream to local network or sd card ? This will be extremely dark.

https://www.amazon.com/Vision-Indoor-Outdoor-Camera-Assistant/dp/B08R59YH7W/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=3MA6XQHVRAC47&keywords=wyze+v3&qid=1649185185&sprefix=wyze+v3%2Caps%2C1160&sr=8-3

This with an SD card. You can put the camera flush against the glass and the ir light won't cause glare. Or put it at 45 degree angle and it won't glare. But they work.

On 4/5/2022 at 11:07 AM, AndEEss said:

Other people above mentioned IR; I’m simply pointing out that it won’t work very well. 

I’m very much aware of the differences between image intensification and thermal imaging. 

Speaking for myself and maybe others, when I say IR I'm not talking about cameras that pick up transmitted black body radiation (eg FLIR [tm]), or image intensification "night vision". 

Rather I'm talking about images like @Randall from Texas shared above, where a ccd or cmos sensor that is sensitive to near IR (like the kind from a TV remote).  Where it works like any other camera except your illumination source is IR LEDs that are not visible to people, or presumably, fish.