Greetings from New Zealand

Nav

Hi everyone,

Have been following aquarium co-op from the early days - great store and awesome advice and product recommendations as well. I have a few tanks setup at the moment mainly small ones, a 5 gallon pea puffer tank, A 20 gallon community and a 15 gallon rummy nose tetra tank

I would love to do a shrimp tank one day but unfortunately, there are no shrimp in NZ in the hobby 😞 - will have to eventually get some paperwork sorted to see if i can import some

image.png.492264ce17f36236d90f9683848f2520.png

IMG20220217163300.jpg

IMG20220217163341.jpg

Edited by Nav
Image upload
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

Welcome!!!

Yes, New Zealand has been very proactive at protecting water and land from invasive species. 

Aren't there any native freshwater shrimp or similar?

A close friend here in NM, USA has dual citizenship. So keeps US pets in the US, and NZ pets in NZ.

My spouse has relatives in NZ, but they have never met...

It's on our bucket list, though!

On 2/17/2022 at 6:20 PM, Torrey said:

Welcome!!!

Yes, New Zealand has been very proactive at protecting water and land from invasive species. 

Aren't there any native freshwater shrimp or similar?

A close friend here in NM, USA has dual citizenship. So keeps US pets in the US, and NZ pets in NZ.

My spouse has relatives in NZ, but they have never met...

It's on our bucket list, though!

definitely come visit! it is an amazing place, some really cool places and things to see. there is a native shrimp species but it isn't really colorful. I might see if that might be an option though

• Thanks 1

On 2/16/2022 at 10:43 PM, Nav said:

definitely come visit! it is an amazing place, some really cool places and things to see. there is a native shrimp species but it isn't really colorful. I might see if that might be an option though

Remember, none of the species were really colorful at the beginning. 

Selectively breeding has isolated random chroma genetics to develop all the color variations we have today. 

I can't wait to see what you come up with!

On 2/19/2022 at 6:27 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

born in Palmerston North, have family in Hawke's Bay, Auckland and Tauranga. 

That's cool!! - I used to live on the north island, close to the Hawke's Bay actually, a little further north in a place called Gisborne - I am now in the south island down in a place called Dunedin - we are lucky enough to see the Aurora Australis sometimes!

IMG20211104221119.jpg

Edited by Nav
  • Love 2

On 2/19/2022 at 11:35 AM, Streetwise said:

@Nav, your first two images are Google-hosted. They may be in an album that you did not make public.

I did copy and paste the images so that is probably why, will attach the images shortly