The Panda Cory Appreciation Society🐼

I had good success with adding 9 youngsters last fall to my existing group. I had some unhealthy fish in that group and everyone was medicated in the end left me with 15 healthy fish. They continue to do well. I find the youngsters really drive some of the fun behaviors I’ve seen. The reality is reverse trios of corys work well - 1F 2 M can yield good results breeding wise at least with my bronzes have seen this. The pandas 🐼 I’m still waiting to see where I’m at this spring.

I know I am late to the panda love party .. I have 8 cories and 4 is panda  i love all cories along with my bristolnose pelco ,,been thinking of having a bottom feeders tank with cories, catfish , snails and pelco ,,when the fish I have now is gone But all my fish but the bristolnose nose pelco and snails are very old ,, been trying to not buy any new fish since i want to change my tank up bit 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 3/6/2022 at 1:51 AM, Bev C said:

I know I am late to the panda love party .. I have 8 cories and 4 is panda  i love all cories along with my bristolnose pelco ,,been thinking of having a bottom feeders tank with cories, catfish , snails and pelco ,,when the fish I have now is gone But all my fish but the bristolnose nose pelco and snails are very old ,, been trying to not buy any new fish since i want to change my tank up bit 

This sound ps lovely. My dream fantasy tank (that will never happen to big for me strictly fantasy day dream stuff). Is a couple hundred gallon catfish only tank with snails. 

My panda babies are finally getting the courage to come out and explore (lights outs) and they are so small and cute! I also finally got to show my wife and son! I don’t know if they believed me when I 1st saw them 2 weeks ago or so. My son was ecstatic, I am trying to mold him into a little fish keeper/animal lover. 

2D4F923E-51CB-47F5-99B6-C66C7FF62426.jpeg

• Love 4

I go only of the few Pleasant surprises when I got home from the hospital. Two small fry pandas corys. It was pure luck by all rights some thing that tank should have eaten then. I just the surrived the week like me. I moved them to someplace safe. I was so happy. I tried to get pics but they were every fast and the lights not the best.

Edited by Brandon p
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

I had some trouble recently with a purchase online - bought 10 longfin pandas and 10 sterbai. Unfortunately, all the LF pandas passed - they came in really small and sunken bellies - and the sterbai did not look good for a few days. They've gotten the med trio and I have been treating with a lot of oxygen and filtration. They are starting to turn the corner which is great. 

• Like 3

I was making coffee today, turned to look behind me while the machine dispensed out water and I had to smile....

20+ panda corys wiggling around in unison looking for food or just cruising around is always going to make me smile uncontrollably.

On 3/21/2022 at 9:50 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

I had some trouble recently with a purchase online - bought 10 longfin pandas and 10 sterbai. Unfortunately, all the LF pandas passed - they came in really small and sunken bellies - and the sterbai did not look good for a few days. They've gotten the med trio and I have been treating with a lot of oxygen and filtration. They are starting to turn the corner which is great. 

Just curious, what temperature was the tanks  at with the pandas? They tend to enjoy slightly cooler water in my experience and it generally means slightly more oxygen in the water I believe. I've kept mine as cool water species for most of their lives, 70 or slightly below during colder days.  Tank depth can also play a factor when the fish is slightly stressed. Very unfortunate, I'm sorry for the loss.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2022 at 6:11 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

I was making coffee today, turned to look behind me while the machine dispensed out water and I had to smile....

20+ panda corys wiggling around in unison looking for food or just cruising around is always going to make me smile uncontrollably.

Just curious, what temperature was the tanks  at with the pandas? They tend to enjoy slightly cooler water in my experience and it generally means slightly more oxygen in the water I believe. I've kept mine as cool water species for most of their lives, 70 or slightly below during colder days.  Tank depth can also play a factor when the fish is slightly stressed. Very unfortunate, I'm sorry for the loss.

My was at 80. The L-333 plecos like the warm water when they get old enough to breed I’ll will go to 82. For pandas I have had luck at 78-80 I only got two but they were in 55gal with 6 L-333, and two gaint double black angels. I was in the hospital with a heart attack when it happened if I were home I would have removed the eggs into an egg tumbler. I’m  sure I would have had more because the I would have saved more eggs Different corys do have different needs as for as temps. I would slowing bring temps up to 76 for a few weeks or month. Then do a cooler water change you don’t want to change the water more than 3 degrees.

On 3/24/2022 at 2:01 AM, Brandon p said:

I’m  sure I would have had more because the I would have saved more eggs Different corys do have different needs as for as temps. I would slowing bring temps up to 76 for a few weeks or month. Then do a cooler water change you don’t want to change the water more than 3 degrees.

Very sorry about the medical stuff you mentioned, I hope you're doing ok.

I'll reference two different things here...

Sterbai might be fine with the higher temps (high 78-80) and I would definitely recommend keeping the pandas slightly cooler compared to the sterbai. 

For my panda breeding, especially when I'm trying a bit harder, I had moss and small fine plants for the fry to hide away from the other fish in the tank. They literally lay eggs so often that I just colony bred mine. After I had so many I would just have tiger barbs, shrimp, or other fish eat the eggs (and the pandas would get better at hiding them).  But, all I mean to say is that I would reference two different things here....

Your tank temp, and then your water change temp (and how quickly you let the tank rebound after dropping the temp during a water change). In my experience I've changed anywhere from 10-75% of the water in the tank at times and had no issues. The pandas can be an extremely hearty fish and they almost always love the oxygenation inflow from the cooler waterchange. They are more active, they swim around hunting for food, they are not stressed breathing or anything of the sort.

During the summer it's a lot easier to keep the Temperature consistent, but with where I moved to the temps would be anywhere from 5-15 degrees off. I no longer have a "fish tank sink" and now I have to use a tap on the front of the house. This has been difficult and the water itself is anywhere from 25-35 degree difference at times. With lower % water changes it doesn't bother the fish but absolutely isn't recommended for higher volume water changes. I stick to about 10-25% now based on tank conditions.  In any one of those scenarios described, I've had the Cory's spawn for me without much fuss or issue. As long as the fish is healthy, happy, and has a place to hide and feel safe (especially if the adults know the fry have a place to go) then they tend to be a bit better about consistently spawning.  My tanks are set at 74, both are cooler water community type setups, focused entirely on corydoras. During the fall months (Southern California) it definitely gets really cold in the house, and during the summer I wish I had a chiller.  When I change water, the tank might be at 72-74 and the water I use for the change might enter at about 64 or so.  I would be willing to bet you can get them to spawn simply by having a larger volume of water change and boosting flow for a short period or by having the temperature swing as well. Pandas just love to chase each other around the tank and spawn if the setup is what they like.

I don't know if any of that helps you out, but hopefully so.  Hopefully the next ones you bring in aren't having as many issues with the condition they arrived in.

On 3/24/2022 at 5:48 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Very sorry about the medical stuff you mentioned, I hope you're doing ok.

I'll reference two different things here...

Sterbai might be fine with the higher temps (high 78-80) and I would definitely recommend keeping the pandas slightly cooler compared to the sterbai. 

For my panda breeding, especially when I'm trying a bit harder, I had moss and small fine plants for the fry to hide away from the other fish in the tank. They literally lay eggs so often that I just colony bred mine. After I had so many I would just have tiger barbs, shrimp, or other fish eat the eggs (and the pandas would get better at hiding them).  But, all I mean to say is that I would reference two different things here....

Your tank temp, and then your water change temp (and how quickly you let the tank rebound after dropping the temp during a water change). In my experience I've changed anywhere from 10-75% of the water in the tank at times and had no issues. The pandas can be an extremely hearty fish and they almost always love the oxygenation inflow from the cooler waterchange. They are more active, they swim around hunting for food, they are not stressed breathing or anything of the sort.

During the summer it's a lot easier to keep the Temperature consistent, but with where I moved to the temps would be anywhere from 5-15 degrees off. I no longer have a "fish tank sink" and now I have to use a tap on the front of the house. This has been difficult and the water itself is anywhere from 25-35 degree difference at times. With lower % water changes it doesn't bother the fish but absolutely isn't recommended for higher volume water changes. I stick to about 10-25% now based on tank conditions.  In any one of those scenarios described, I've had the Cory's spawn for me without much fuss or issue. As long as the fish is healthy, happy, and has a place to hide and feel safe (especially if the adults know the fry have a place to go) then they tend to be a bit better about consistently spawning.  My tanks are set at 74, both are cooler water community type setups, focused entirely on corydoras. During the fall months (Southern California) it definitely gets really cold in the house, and during the summer I wish I had a chiller.  When I change water, the tank might be at 72-74 and the water I use for the change might enter at about 64 or so.  I would be willing to bet you can get them to spawn simply by having a larger volume of water change and boosting flow for a short period or by having the temperature swing as well. Pandas just love to chase each other around the tank and spawn if the setup is what they like.

I don't know if any of that helps you out, but hopefully so.  Hopefully the next ones you bring in aren't having as many issues with the condition they arrived in.

I’m sorry  though you asking for advice. It’s been happening some since the attack. I live in South Florida it was 78 here. I have mostly warm water aquariums including my discus tank is at 84. I have the L-333 and angelfish were at 80. This pair have laid in the 84 degree tank. I can’t say for sure because the I did wake up for four days and they took my phone and I got it on day 5 but I could not bring the cameras up. I got out on day six. Seeing this pair lay before I normally see about 25 eggs. It’s it would be hard to keep tank temps down with out a chiller. I have 2 ponds that have guppy and koi. Temps outside go in the 70’s at night. I have bred several corys like aeneus both the bronze and albinos. Same with Orange Venezuelan Cory I maybe could had more maybe but they seem to act normal. A lot of fish here were raised on one of Floridas fish farms, there are over 1,000 and most raise more than one species. That could contribute to my corys being ok with warmer. 

• Like 1

I've admittedly not read through everything yet, but hope I can join...  I have 8 pandas, and they are my favorites to watch.

Outside of just being adorable, their behavior confuses and amuses me.  In the mornings, they are on the left side of my tank, and in the evenings the right.  EVERY NIGHT.  I've decided that the right side must be the bar/night club side, and they're party animals.  😉

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Mine like to lay around the front of the tank being lazy until I walk in the room at which time I see two pandy cory butts headed for their favorite rock.

I'm hoping to add a few more next week so they have some buddies

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 6:58 AM, Brandon p said:

This pair have laid in the 84 degree tank. I can’t say for sure because the I did wake up for four days and they took my phone and I got it on day 5 but I could not bring the cameras up. I got out on day six. Seeing this pair lay before I normally see about 25 eggs. It’s it would be hard to keep tank temps down with out a chiller. I have 2 ponds that have guppy and koi. Temps outside go in the 70’s at night. I have bred several corys like aeneus both the bronze and albinos. Same with Orange Venezuelan Cory I maybe could had more maybe but they seem to act normal. A lot of fish here were raised on one of Floridas fish farms, there are over 1,000 and most raise more than one species. That could contribute to my corys being ok with warmer. 

Ah! That totally makes sense. I absolutely understand the warm water thing too. The extremely hot summers we have are very similar to yours.

Take care of yourself. Feel better.

I have black venezuelan Cory's and pandas. Hearing you mention your orange ones was very exciting.

On 3/24/2022 at 7:00 AM, Sal said:

In the mornings, they are on the left side of my tank, and in the evenings the right.  EVERY NIGHT.  I've decided that the right side must be the bar/night club side, and they're party animals.  😉

Lol. Yeah the definitely keep a schedule. As long as the have a hide they are happy. I have 3 that love the right side, then their fry stay on the far left corner all day next to my red tailed black shark. She babysits I guess.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to appreciate how neat corydoras are and how often the make me think they are dead. I found one today hanging out under the Anubias and another had wedged himself against the thermometer and glass for... a nap? I often find them planking on leaves (a picture for another time)

image.png.eafd9a3748445b2cac65037177e8a716.pngimage.png.d9167d32d7fe4c17b4b3a12ff62f0fec.pngimage.jpeg.52d5cb8b276975a18f07733cdd935cf8.jpeg

• Like 3