The Panda Cory Appreciation Society🐼

On 12/8/2022 at 11:14 AM, TheSwissAquarist said:

Aww cute cories !

Love the look of their tank btw! How many are in the breeding tank?

Right now in this tank I'm not even sure. There was 12 sub adults and adults last time I checked but they have started hiding their eggs from me better than before so now there's new juveniles and fry that is impossible for me to count. There is currently about 12 juveniles in a 10 gallon and nearly 30 fry in the shrimp + fry + eggs tank. Baby boom here!!  I'm thinking I'm gonna have too many soon haha

On 12/8/2022 at 4:36 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Probably! Kind of crazy how big the tail is on the video. You have the "whale tail"/long fin variety and it was fun to see that difference.

For the record, baby pandas are literally the best thing. Too adorable.

For a long time about 50% of mine came out long fin. Now it's closer to 65% and maybe more. I get A LOT of long fin considering I only have 2 long fin adults. I also get some long AND high fin. One trait I see popping out I call "stick tail"  it's a long fin but instead of a nice fanned out tail it's a thin stick. I know exactly who is passing that on but she's also one of my 2 adult long fin. I'm working to cull the ones that do come out so the trait doesn't continue. The other long fin adult girl I have makes such amazingly pretty babies. She's where the high fin comes from AND her tail is a nice fan. 

Here's a video I made awhile back of some juveniles I decided as keepers. They were a little freaked out because I had just pulled them. I've also found that they are much more skittish if they are raised in a small group (these were raised in a group of 6) than in a larger group. 

All of those are long fin in the video. The entire group of 6 had 5 long fin. One is also high fin. 

@nabokovfan87 you may appreciate this one. It's the baby boom shrimp and fry tank. 

• Thanks 1

I took the decor out to do some cleaning and took this video just now. The girl in the center most of the time is the one passing on stick tail. The girl that comes from the left near the end is the one who has high fin and has pretty babies. The other long fins are sub adults that I bred. 

This is a pic of the female who has the pretty babies. 

20221208_132356.jpg

On 12/8/2022 at 3:42 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@Cinnebunsi need to get some anubias!!! Well done and thanks for updating us on your panda project - generated tons of discussion, some great pearls and baby pandas 🐼?! Anything better?! Nope!

The anubias is even attached to a thing to mimic a tree so they have to swim up to get at it when I have spawning mops down on the bottom for them that they have started to mostly ignore. So they must really like the anubias!  It's in the middle of the tank pic. 

20221208_024004.jpg

• Love 2

Appreciate these groups of Coryadoras more and more. 
The barbatus had a rough patch, another bought of Columnaris and a couple of their brethren succumbed but now they appear on the mend. 

The CW028 Super Schwartzi they’re gorgeous and they know it. Lots of diva poses and well who can blame them they’re 🔥!

and last but not least are my ever growing group of C134 Eyeliner Coryadoras . They get bolder and fatter by the day. 

Have fun and love your Corys!! Nothing says love like worms for corys!!

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 12:17 PM, FLFishChik said:

Woot! I found the 4th Panda (after giving him the “Where have you been” speech in my best worried mom voice) 

2ABA4A95-2415-48E2-A9F6-2B517B6AFFF3.jpeg

I hate when I go down in the morning and count 5 Pandas... the 6th always turns up in a day or two.

I've given up on counting my Pygmys. I don't remember the last time I saw all 7. Probably a month ago.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Lost most of my eyeliner corys from nitrogenous waste poisoning from a mass die off of my L397 and Wabenmuster plecos. Tragedy strikes again in Fishroom 2.0. Think it was food poisoning for the Plecos that triggered it off as all the other fish in the tank initially survived ( the meat eaters don’t like squash!). Then I must have missed a body or 2 (I recovered 10 bodies initially but forgot he threw in a couple extras) and got another wave a day later. So to all you folks new to the hobby or maybe a couple years in - Beardedbillygoat is here to tell you that even 36 years into the hobby you can still be humbled. From now on I’ll only stock 2 species in a breeding tank. In this case a temporary situation due to cranky breeding cichlids led to tenement level stocking and all seemed well for months and then this.  

The Super Schwartzi, Orange Venezuelan and barbatus are all in great shape. I thank my lucky catfish that I’ve invested the last 6 months to a year in working with these species. Onward and upward. 

• Sad 1

On 12/17/2022 at 8:38 AM, FLFishChik said:

Here are my 3 little guys ( originally had 6, 2 passed over the last 5 months and 1 has been missing for a few weeks… assumed he’s passed as well). 

Same thing happened to me and I had just under 30 at one point. More spawning this week so fry will be soon.

Keep em happy, you'll get a few more in no time.

On 1/16/2023 at 12:33 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

The Super Schwartzi, Orange Venezuelan and barbatus are all in great shape. I thank my lucky catfish that I’ve invested the last 6 months to a year in working with these species. Onward and upward. 

Very unfortunate on your losses there, glad they are doing ok.

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2023 at 4:19 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

May have discovered something....

Males have more of a circle shape on the black spot on their tail, females seem to have more of an oval?  Might be a size thing, females get bigger, but that may or may not hold true for younger fish as well.

What do you think?

Not my tank, but these are smaller than mine and it was nice to see some of that same identifying mark. Might be a certain line trait or something. Interesting.

image.png.3441c7ad1e4966e7f82c8240b1ce0048.png

Far left looks like a female as well. Bigger / blotchier mark on the tale, as it grows the fish gets longer and then that becomes more of an oval. 

• Love 1

From 2010.... Referring to CW51, has anyone ever seen these?
https://www.aquariumglaser.de/en/fish-archives/corydoras_sp_cw_49_and_cw_51_en/

Corydoras sp. “New Panda” from Colombia is so far the most spectacular new importation of the year. Hans-Georg Evers, expert for Corydoras, guesses that the species may be found in the Rio Vaupes system, but still no assured information on that topic is available. It is very conspicious that the spot below the dorsal fin differs individually very much in size. In any case this is an extremely beautiful species. There are already first reports on a successful spawning in the cory scene. If it is possible to breed this species on a regular basis it will for sure have a great career as an ornamental fish.

• Like 1

On 1/20/2023 at 12:50 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

From 2010.... Referring to CW51, has anyone ever seen these?
https://www.aquariumglaser.de/en/fish-archives/corydoras_sp_cw_49_and_cw_51_en/

I’ve seen the CW049, I like that fish. The colors are very monochromatic I didn’t notice the same iridescent quality I get with a “regular” panda. What I liked see the dorsal was kind of high and its body shape was a bit sturdier. 

Tom from TM Aquatics on YT is working with them. 

• Like 1