The Panda Cory Appreciation Society🐼

My Corys keep dying and I have no idea why. I started with 9 (3 from my LFS and 6 from a reputable online vendor). Within days, most of them died. I drip-acclimated them. My tank is fully cycled with 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, nitrates between 10 - 30, PH consistently at 7.8, temp always at 78.3 at the lowest and 78.5 at the highest. It's a 55 gallon tank with 6 angelfish, 5 SAE, 2 Mollies, and 2 Plecos. The angels never bothered the corys. I have no idea what's going on. I had Otos and they didn't make it either. I love corys but I until I figure out why they keep dying, I'll have to stare longingly at your images and videos. Also, any advice would be very much appreciated!

@Monkeypoint you might want to start a new thread with your question, along with info on how many are left, did they pass suddenly (like they seemed normal - eating, active, etc) and if they had any signs of disease. If you have 3 left, I wonder if they are from the LFS... Also, what kind of substrate you have. So sorry to hear 😞

• Like 1

That's a great idea. I'll go ahead and do that. There's actually only 1 left out of a total of 9 (6 from Aqua Huna and 3 from my LFS). They were all fine - no signs of disease but they started dying almost immediately. Now there's only 1 left. Maybe it's the substrate - it's gravel. I have a second aquarium - 15 gallons with Eco Complete as a substrate.

• Sad 2

My New youngens are displaying a trait I plan to encourage from now on. Check out how nice and dark that dorsal fin is. My original goal in breeding mine was to have nice, functional fins but I'm adding this one now too. 

Here's some of the older "babies" showing off the fins I was talking about. The one's fins are a little large for what I'm thinking but the other ones are nice. I'm trying to get long fin that isn't excessive so it's not a burden. These recently came of age and started spawning with the adults. 

I noticed this little one showed up in the 2nd video. It displays a trait I've seen pop up rarely in my line that I'm trying to avoid. I call it "stick fin"  they are long fin but instead of their tail fanning out, it's together like a stick. 

• Love 3

On 1/24/2023 at 3:10 PM, Cinnebuns said:

My New youngens are displaying a trait I plan to encourage from now on. Check out how nice and dark that dorsal fin is. My original goal in breeding mine was to have nice, functional fins but I'm adding this one now too. 

Here's some of the older "babies" showing off the fins I was talking about. The one's fins are a little large for what I'm thinking but the other ones are nice. I'm trying to get long fin that isn't excessive so it's not a burden. These recently came of age and started spawning with the adults. 

I noticed this little one showed up in the 2nd video. It displays a trait I've seen pop up rarely in my line that I'm trying to avoid. I call it "stick fin"  they are long fin but instead of their tail fanning out, it's together like a stick. 

Grrrr, 😂you make me wanna try to get my Pandas to breed, but I’ve never bred any fish and wouldn’t even know where to start !!

On 1/24/2023 at 5:31 PM, FLFishChik said:

Grrrr, 😂you make me wanna try to get my Pandas to breed, but I’ve never bred any fish and wouldn’t even know where to start !!

I have an entire post about how I breed mine including methods I have done in the past. It can be found here:

All that I include there is def not necessary. You can easily breed them even without pulling eggs if you want. Heck, I'm tempted now to make a post on doing just that. Stay tuned!  

On 1/24/2023 at 8:16 PM, FLFishChik said:

I have four. I know I probably need more, but I don’t know that I could add anymore to my 29g. I’ve got 14 Cardinal Tetra, 4 Pandas, 3 albino Cory’s and 3 otos 

You def can add more. Also, with 4 pandas and 3 Albino you are lowering your chances of them successfully spawning. Each cory type wants 6+ in a group and without that they can try to spawn across the types. 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2023 at 6:22 PM, Kurt Brutting said:

I just purchased 4 more Panda Cory’s from another source to add some new blood to my school. They are in quarantine now. They are so cute! 

Mind if I ask where you get your Pandas from? I started with 6 and am now down to 4.

775AC8E8-3E07-4C7D-9C91-06D138C68349.jpeg

0B0E7FBE-7E6E-4488-96BB-D7D24A154837.jpeg

• Love 1

On 1/25/2023 at 6:49 PM, Kurt Brutting said:

@FLFishChikI have 2 local fish stores I go back and forth from in up state NY. If you want those names let me know. 

Dansfish is a great place online to buy from also Flip Aquatics and Aquahuna sell Panda Cory’s online. 

I got my Pandas from AquaHuna originally, but they only sell in groups of 6 and I don’t need quite that many. I’ll check out Dansfish tho!

I just ordered a group of 12 from Aquahuna and will most likely get it next week! I've never kept pandas before but I've kept and bred pygmaeus and habrosus.

Should've placed my order on wednesday then I'd probably gotten them this week. Not a big deal tho, I just get overly excited when I order anything fish related.

• Like 2

On 1/29/2023 at 10:44 AM, Kurt Brutting said:

I just ordered fish online for the time ever. I purchased 12 Red Neon Blue Eye Rainbows from Dansfish. 
I am super excited, but nervous. I never received anything alive in the mail before besides snails. @knee let me know how your Pandas arrive from Aqua Huna I might get some. 

Will do! I also purchased some danio erythromicron, forktail rainbows and 2 mystery snails from them before. Everyone arrived alive and healty except for one mystery snail. 

Ordering fish online and particularly coryadoras is/can be scary. Because of their ability to secrete toxins/poison their bags it’s always a bit of a crap shoot. The talk by Eric on cory toxins is essential watching from when the ACO club started.

Dans Fish is the best. No disputing his quality and packing methods. He charges more because you get more. The suppliers he has are also incredible I know a few of them and they’re top notch. 

Aquahuna, I’ve had good and bad shipments when I lived in Oregon. Now that I’m in Washington and can’t order from them in a way I’m glad. The flat rate shipping and prices are enabling when you’re faced with Dan’s or The Wet Spots prices and or costs on Aquavid it’s harder to impulse buy. 

Be an informed consumer. Take your time with the order. Use a quarantine tank especially with Aquahuna. Medicate and chunk them up before putting them in a display. Be patient. Then have fun enjoying the joy that is a pack of corys roaming their environment. 

• Like 1

An update from earlier in the month - 

The Super Schwartzi CW028 took a turn shortly after the previous post mid month. They got a secondary fungal infection along with either a virus or a bacterium that took out all the other fish. I started with salt and iCH-X as they’re fairly innocuous as far as meds go. When the white patches and particularly the eye were affected I used Jungle Fizz (nitrofurantoin) and Kanaplex for columnaris along with a lot of salt. 
I put them through a course of maracyn and maracyn 2 as well. 

Before:

4AA7E09C-C2C3-42E9-951E-1B0E05CA6FF4.jpeg.250aac82726e236b56c7d41029a59cf7.jpeg

Yes that white thing is coming out of-attached to my baby’s eye. 

At this point only one of them has a “fuzzy” on a single pectoral fin but it gets less and less with a little salt and water changes - I think this is the same fish that when it came initially it’s same fin was damaged in the fiasco that was their arrival. 08A41F21-399F-408C-BF86-59E2FD92E18C.jpeg.f99c1377aa7805c86393edb007eae928.jpeg

They’re all on their own in the 40 g so I’ve thrown in a bunch of leaves and have some hornwort and floaters in to keep the nitrates down. What’s nice is to see them getting frisky again and just more vital looking doing cory things instead of looking listless. 

Have fun everyone! 

On 1/27/2023 at 11:18 AM, knee said:

I just ordered a group of 12 from Aquahuna and will most likely get it next week! I've never kept pandas before but I've kept and bred pygmaeus and habrosus.

Just because of the stuff they have going on in their facility please try to QT these ones if you can.  Essentially they are moving facilities and may have some lag / issues from setups. Just wanted to share that and offer the caution. 

It's really unfortunate and I feel for @FLFishChik and what their experiences were.  I do feel really good about ordering fish online given what I have available locally.  Starting out it wouldn't have been something I considered, but ultimately will be the norm I think for a lot of hobbyists if that information is more readily available, especially on how to handle shipments.

I started with 5-7 corydoras, I then had 3.  Over time I ended up with ~30.  I don't know what it is about corydoras and longer acclimation times for me, but I always seem to lose a few over time, or did, when first starting out.  Black corydoras I purchased from 2 sources, both on aquabid and lost half.  It really sucks, but information on how to keep them wasn't available and I'm sure I didn't help with some of my issues trying to figure out how to keep them.  I have it dialed in, they are doing a heck of a lot better.

The point simply, sorry for the longer post, is just that I think it's unfortunate and somewhat normal to lose 1-2 fish.  So that "I started with X" sentiment definitely hits home and it's become a lot harder for me locally to buy fish because I seriously do not trust the fish when I see the tanks with my eyes.  I do prefer to get them from tank raised situations, have real conversations, and have a proven group.  Barring that, the places mentioned above are all great spots to go have a look and see what you can get.

• Like 2

Agree with @nabokovfan87, there’s the stuff we can control and some we can’t. With coryadoras there’s a lot we are still learning about their poisons/toxins which they can release in the bags. There’s their particular anatomy being an armored rather than scaled fish and that they hang close to the bottom of the tank putting them at more risk from things like fungus and old food we don’t see. All in all I agree they are very worth it but buyer beware, be patient keeping them for a long QT, and medicate them with the trio and perhaps more if needed. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...