Jump to content

The Panda Cory Appreciation Society🐼


Recommended Posts

I call to order the first meeting of the new Panda Cory Appreciation Society. You don’t have to own corys to be part of the group, they don’t necessarily have to be Pandas, and this is just for fun so always look on the bright side of life like our dear Pandas do! 
 

Pandas are the gateway fish! Here’s my wife an avowed hater of aquariums creating videos for TikTok behind my back! 

 

  • Like 6
  • Haha 2
  • Love 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/14/2021 at 11:31 PM, Chad said:

If, and that’s a big if, my Cory’s start to drop eggs how hard are they to get rid of? I’m fairly new to fish that aren’t livebearers but I still have nightmares of trying to clean nerite snail eggs off decorations and glass. 

They roll right off with your finger or a credit card. They leave a slight residue that wipes away with coop algae erasers (melamine pads)  or any algae scrubber.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thank you for the intel @Guppysnail! I was simply curious as to what to expect should the "we're expecting" happen. Say that 3x's fast 🙂 And my Panda cory's are out for delivery! Perfect timing too, middle of December and they're on a postal truck suffering record-breaking high temps today in Iowa, it was 61 degrees at 6 o'clock here. So I'm hopeful they'll be in good shape upon arrival... uh-oh, did I just jinx myself?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/15/2021 at 9:01 AM, Chad said:

Thank you for the intel @Guppysnail! I was simply curious as to what to expect should the "we're expecting" happen. Say that 3x's fast 🙂 And my Panda cory's are out for delivery! Perfect timing too, middle of December and they're on a postal truck suffering record-breaking high temps today in Iowa, it was 61 degrees at 6 o'clock here. So I'm hopeful they'll be in good shape upon arrival... uh-oh, did I just jinx myself?

They will be Fine I’m sure. Crossing my fingers for you. They are catfish they are sturdy little bugs. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

To quickly clarify, not bashing LiveAquaria. The fish were all bagged separately and seemed packed very well with heat and all that. The fish were also high quality, far surpassing my LFS', sadly. Sorry, I reread my post and it sounded like I was throwing them under the bus, just wanted to expand on the experience. 

Edited by Chad
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/15/2021 at 9:16 AM, Chad said:

To quickly clarify, not bashing LiveAquaria. The fish were all bagged separately and seemed packed very well with heat and all that. The fish were also high quality, far surpassing my LFS', sadly. Sorry, I reread my post and it sounded like I was throwing them under the bus, just wanted to expand on the experience. 

Tetras of all types are sensitive in my experience and handle stress poorly. Catfish on the other hand in my experience don’t even notice stress and recover easily from it as long as there is food. Don’t be surprised to get up for a midnight snack and find your pandas raiding the fridge. 🤣 I love catfish of all types. The video where the Coop interviewed the man who owns Aqua Huna said they had pandas lost in the mail for close to a month that ended up back at the facility. Said they were alive and went on to live happy healthy lives. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'll join too.  I have a school of them in my 65 gallon community tank.  I also have Corydoras trilineatus and Corydoras pygmaeus.

On 12/15/2021 at 9:08 AM, Guppysnail said:

Tetras of all types are sensitive in my experience and handle stress poorly. Catfish on the other hand in my experience don’t even notice stress and recover easily from it as long as there is food. Don’t be surprised to get up for a midnight snack and find your pandas raiding the fridge. 🤣 I love catfish of all types. The video where the Coop interviewed the man who owns Aqua Huna said they had pandas lost in the mail for close to a month that ended up back at the facility. Said they were alive and went on to live happy healthy lives. 

That has not been my experience.  While some of them do seem prone to problems, serpae, pristella, black neon, and lemon tetras have been just about bullet proof for me.

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/15/2021 at 9:08 AM, Guppysnail said:

Tetras of all types are sensitive in my experience and handle stress poorly. Catfish on the other hand in my experience don’t even notice stress and recover easily from it as long as there is food. Don’t be surprised to get up for a midnight snack and find your pandas raiding the fridge. 🤣 I love catfish of all types. The video where the Coop interviewed the man who owns Aqua Huna said they had pandas lost in the mail for close to a month that ended up back at the facility. Said they were alive and went on to live happy healthy lives. 

That is amazing and helpful info @Guppysnail, you deserve to get a CARE package from Co-op someday. Won't ever happen tho 😉 (congrats on that by the way, and very well deserved!) My past experience has been shrimp, guppies, and bettas via the mail. Not a single death until the tetras so I wasn't sure what to expect from the cory's. I'll be continuing the hijacking of this thread with pics later today. Hope that's okay @Beardedbillygoat1975? I know I strayed off topic just a bit.

On 12/15/2021 at 9:17 AM, JettsPapa said:

I'll join too.  I have a school of them in my 65 gallon community tank.  I also have Corydoras trilineatus and Corydoras pygmaeus.

That has not been my experience.  While some of them do seem prone to problems, serpae, pristella, black neon, and lemon tetras have been just about bullet proof for me.

Black neons and rummy nose are not the same. I can vouch for the bullet proof nature of Black Neons. That said, the surviving rummys have been hanging in there just great. Their skittish nature also meant they school together better than black neons which stopped schooling in my tank once they got comfortable.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Chadno worries about the thread. I think this is coryadoras related content. All good. 

Ive had mostly good cory shipping experiences but did have the infamous cloudy water and half my order was dead ☠️. The others mostly survived and lost one other one after that. 
 

@JettsPapalove the Pygmy’s and can you post a pic of your trilineatus? Excited to see them. You see them occasionally on different posts but never seen them in an actual hobbyists aquarium.
 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/15/2021 at 9:19 AM, Chad said:

. . . Black neons and rummy nose are not the same. I can vouch for the bullet proof nature of Black Neons. That said, the surviving rummys have been hanging in there just great. Their skittish nature also meant they school together better than black neons which stopped schooling in my tank once they got comfortable.

Lemon tetras are very hardy, and school tighter than many other tetra species, though not as tight as rummy noses (at least in my experience).

On 12/15/2021 at 10:05 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

@JettsPapalove the Pygmy’s and can you post a pic of your trilineatus? Excited to see them. You see them occasionally on different posts but never seen them in an actual hobbyists aquarium.
 

I don't have any pictures handy, but I'll try to take some this evening and post them.  I'm surprised you haven't seen any.  They're pretty common here in stores that sell fish, but they're almost always mislabeled as julii corys.  True juliis are rarely, if ever, available in stores.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@JettsPapaamazingly our LFS and The Wet Spot have had julis not the trilineatus so I’ve always heard about the “false julii” or seen them in unboxings but never in person. @quirkylemon103they’re worth the effort to get them and care is easy. @Chadlemons are the gateway drug to larger bodied tetras. These medium to large bodied tetras are hardier and as they grow super rewarding in seeing their fins color up and grow. 39FFB048-7993-4EFE-8733-F7F489A0982D.jpeg.f546d581583f599291bb87c5b752e78a.jpeg12DB5FB8-FCCE-437D-9DDE-10049C2D2B58.jpeg.72ebf63e13bbe197e823aea275853b98.jpeg285E4F88-7354-4C5A-B130-B49CE0BFD739.jpeg.24b65b04affe61dd376a72e78a7e1419.jpeg

Diamond tetras and black phantoms are favorites of mine. Along with my red eye tetras highly recommended. I think neons, rummy’s, and cardinals get all the press but these guys are super rewarding! Maybe we should start a tetra appreciation society as well!!!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@JettsPapaSeriously that pattern is glorious, I agree with @Guppysnailso much more natural then the sterbai, I love them but these are now on my need list! 

In the pic on the wet spots website they have an iridescence on the gill plate. @JettsPapahave you seen some with this trait? Too cool if they do! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...