The Panda Cory Appreciation Society🐼

These were my very first fish species I ever kept. Was devastated when my tap water suddenly changed to horrible parameters and they passed away. I was so sad I kept testing my tank water, finding horrible parameters and thought it was my fault. 

I hope to get these guys again sometime, just currently dont have a tank for them as I have sterbais. 

• Sad 1

Ohh, what a great society to be part of, thank you for starting it, @Beardedbillygoat1975!

No Pandas (yet) but 3 Albinos, 2 Bronze, and 7 Pygmy corys (6 did not make it). Had ordered 10 more Pygmy but cancelled after the last CPD episode, since they come from the same supplier. The Albino corys have spawned twice, but ate all the eggs. Caviar on the menu, as @Guppysnail said.

Here is part of the Biker Gang, doing the gossip bit before going for another round with the rest:

PXL_20220122_000251355_MP.jpg.ba4f52ea24db97d0f70c9086fe54d6ae.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/21/2022 at 7:13 PM, eatyourpeas said:

Ohh, what a great society to be part of, thank you for starting it, @Beardedbillygoat1975!

No Pandas (yet) but 3 Albinos, 2 Bronze, and 7 Pygmy corys (6 did not make it). Had ordered 10 more Pygmy but cancelled after the last CPD episode, since they come from the same supplier. The Albino corys have spawned twice, but ate all the eggs. Caviar on the menu, as @Guppysnail said.

Here is part of the Biker Gang, doing the gossip bit before going for another round with the rest:

PXL_20220122_000251355_MP.jpg.ba4f52ea24db97d0f70c9086fe54d6ae.jpg

Panda CORY APPRECIATION society 😉 love me some Pygmys too 😁

ORD 😍

• Like 1

We’re at day 4 of this. 1BA4BCBF-4B2B-48B6-A90F-B983E43C0585.jpeg.c104dcee0f19c6e50b9d49082ca1bb76.jpeg

I want to say they’re healing but it’s been obvious my corys have taken the brunt of this infection as everyone else looks great. Decided to do the med trio with the water change yesterday and they look better but still lethargic haven’t seen any glass surfing or their typical behaviors. Not sure if I should water change today or let them marinate in the meds for a couple more days like the typical quarantine situation. Anyway one of a number of things going on. 

• Sad 2

On 1/25/2022 at 9:24 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

Thanks @eatyourpeas! My thoughts as well. Think I’ll grab an extra airpump and stone as well with this next water change. Poor poor bubbas. I think the lucky bamboo I put in the filter was the source. Nothing up until that was placed in the filter. 

The airstone shall help, but I did see a noticeable recovery when I followed the O2 advice from @dasaltemelosguy. His little O2 device inspired the one I used:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In the end I lost 3 panda corys and 2 or 3 baby plecos. After the med trio and waiting 48 hours I’ve done 2 fifty percent water changes and added no supplement except beneficial bacteria yesterday to get the tanks flora back. I’ve fed baby brine shrimp both days and tonight I fed a catfish wafer for them to graze on. Temp has gone from 84 to 82 now 80.  Planning one more 50% change tomorrow then back to our usual planned water change schedule for Sunday and watch parameters.

On a positive note my fish room build is 60% done. Roof tomorrow and then start changing out tubs for tanks. My 12 panda corys in the tub are going to get their own 29 gallons Panda 🐼 Mansion! Onward and upward Cory loving Nerms assemble! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

• 4 weeks later...

@Kurt Bruttingthat is awesome! Congratulations!🎉 

I’ve been busy working on the Panda Mansion which I completed this last weekend. I hope to have my own babies cruising around my tank soon! 

Their behaviors have been much improved. They are not afraid of me approaching or standing in front of the tank. They are hanging out in a good size pack and they’re doing great eating well. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

@Kurt Brutting I literally had a similar experience a week ago. Was sitting at my fish tank and saw a panda fry. It took me a min to realize it was what I was looking at because I was in shock. Just like you I ran to grab my phone to take a pic but it was gone by the time I came back. It's been exactly a week and I haven't seen it since, not that I expected to. That just makes me nervous hoping it's still alive!  I'm sure it probably is. They are masters at hiding!  Can't wait to see it grown up!  Good luck with yours!

• Like 3

I have to spread the excitement everywhere!  In addition to the random fry in my main tank, last night I saw my pandas spawning and have collected eggs for the first time!  I'm so excited!!  I wasn't FULLY prepared for this but I had been preparing for guppy fry so I was mostly prepared!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• 2 weeks later...

@Beardedbillygoat1975 I really need to get me a longfin male to make more longfins.  Both of mine are female. I saw my LFS post they got a whole batch of longfin in so I rushed there only to find they are super young. Not only will it take awhile for them to be able to breed but it's near impossible to sex them and I didn't wanna just chance it. Sigh. 

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Like 1